Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #466 of 23,493
I know after saying don't buy expensive tubes that may sound weird, but I have a Siemens E188CC coming in soon to pair with the one I recently found, I'll update you on that. If I think they're not worth the price I may sell them on the thread here first.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #467 of 23,493
  Has anyone found an excellent pair of tubes for the HD800s? Orange globes are nice but other than those what have you  guys discovered. Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide.

Well this is a very subjective game as we all know. For the most part I have personally found that typically you get what you pay for when all is said and done. But again we all hear things differently.
I've rolled a bunch of tubes in my Lyr/Bifrost/BeyerT1 combo and have ended up with 3 keepers:
1967 Mullard CV4109, 1967 La Radiotechnique RTC's (there is a pair for sale on the "for sale" head-fi forum) and 1963 Telefunken 6DJ8...all over $160, the Mullards quite a bit more than that. To my ears there is considerably more of what I listen for with these than in any tubes I rolled in the sub-$100 category. Instrument timbre seems more realistic and meatier.  Separation is cleaner.  Sound is big without feeling crowded.
That being said, I've seen quite a few people love the 6N23P Voskhod Rockets with the HD800's...just must be a very good synergy. The Rockets were a little too forward (and I like "forward") with my T1's, to the point where I wasn't getting the instrument separation I liked. For many that doesn't seem to be an issue with the HD800's. Might be a very good, less expensive possibility for you.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #468 of 23,493
  Has anyone found an excellent pair of tubes for the HD800s? Orange globes are nice but other than those what have you  guys discovered. Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide.

If you want superior results without breaking the bank, the best I've heard are the Tesla E88CC Gold Pins (+/- $50/pair).  The Amperex USN-CEP's are also superb, but more expensive.

If money is no object, the best of the best (to my ears of course) are the Siemens & Halske CCa and the Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist tubes (next to impossible to find). These two are the only tubes I've ever heard that scored 10/10 in my personal rating system with the HD800 phones. Telefunken E88CC's (also expensive) scored 9.5/10, the next highest.

The Tesla and the Amperex USN-CEP's both scored 9/10, as did the Bugle Boy 1959 D Getters.

Everything else I've heard so far, which includes 1975 Voskhods , various other Bugle Boys, Orange Globes, both Dutch and French RTC's, Lorenz Stuttgart ECC85 3-micas, Amperex A-frames, Siemens NON-CCa's, did not sound quite as good.  These scored (again, this is my evaluation system, no one else's) between a 6 and 8 out of 10 with the HD800.

Also, I listen almost exclusively to classical, so YMMV.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #469 of 23,493
You do not need to spend a lot, if you find the right deal. Often times you will find orange globes and such for as cheep as 15$ individually. Unfortunately these are often times heavily used tubes and may only last a few months. Its also almost impossible to tell if they are a matching pair. Best bet is email the seller. My first tube rolling experience was not good due to just grabbing the first two cheapest OGs i saw on ebay. This is not advised. The bass was all over the place and sounded awful. I was able to snatch up some Amperex PQ whites for 70$ on ebay a while back and got another set of OGs, this time ones that matched. Both are the best tubes ive ever had. Very clean and ideal match for LCD-2s. They tighten up the bass and defiantly create a less "muddy" low end.  You dont need to spend 100s of dollars for improved sound (not elite sound, for that you do) but don't be afraid to spend up to 100 from a credible seller. You wont regret it.

Edit: Thanks R. Scott for the information. Im looking at around 150$. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #470 of 23,493
When you're speculating about what "sounds" good you're always rolling the dice when it comes to offering advice.  One man's queen is another man's sweathog.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #471 of 23,493
  You do not need to spend a lot, if you find the right deal. Often times you will find orange globes and such for as cheep as 15$ individually. Unfortunately these are often times heavily used tubes and may only last a few months. Its also almost impossible to tell if they are a matching pair. Best bet is email the seller. My first tube rolling experience was not good due to just grabbing the first two cheapest OGs i saw on ebay. This is not advised. The bass was all over the place and sounded awful. I was able to snatch up some Amperex PQ whites for 70$ on ebay a while back and got another set of OGs, this time ones that matched. Both are the best tubes ive ever had. Very clean and ideal match for LCD-2s. They tighten up the bass and defiantly create a less "muddy" low end.  You dont need to spend 100s of dollars for improved sound (not elite sound, for that you do) but don't be afraid to spend up to 100 from a credible seller. You wont regret it.

Edit: Thanks R. Scott for the information. Im looking at around 150$.

My pleasure!

I agree with you that the Amperex White Label / PQ's are some excellent tubes - high on my list of keepers.  I didn't mention them before because I have not yet given them a really critical "write down review notes" kind of listening session with the HD800's.

Good luck with your valve hunt!

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #472 of 23,493
Hey guys I'm wanting to match some tubes with the HE-500 that comes at around <$110.
I had a brief listen with the HE-500 and 6BZ7 stock tubes and found the sound to be quite laid back and enjoyable. Though I wished the treble was a tad more extended, and overall a bit more clear and improved in its soundstage. I'm definitely looking for a neutral'ish sound, if that makes any sense. 

From reading the thread so far the list I gathered is:
Amperex Bugle Boys
Orange Globes (mids too forward?)
Mullard CV-2492
Voskhod 6N23P
Amperex USN-CEP Gold pins
Tesla E88CC

I've also heard of the Lorenz Stuttgart and the Telefunkens, but I think they're a bit out of my price range
Any inputs on deciding which would be best would be appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #474 of 23,493
Thanks for your reply. I see bunch of O getters on ebay. What's the difference between them? 

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #475 of 23,493
  Hey guys I'm wanting to match some tubes with the HE-500 that comes at around <$110.
I had a brief listen with the HE-500 and 6BZ7 stock tubes and found the sound to be quite laid back and enjoyable. Though I wished the treble was a tad more extended, and overall a bit more clear and improved in its soundstage. I'm definitely looking for a neutral'ish sound, if that makes any sense. 

From reading the thread so far the list I gathered is:
Amperex Bugle Boys
Orange Globes (mids too forward?)
Mullard CV-2492
Voskhod 6N23P
Amperex USN-CEP Gold pins
Tesla E88CC

I've also heard of the Lorenz Stuttgart and the Telefunkens, but I think they're a bit out of my price range
Any inputs on deciding which would be best would be appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not going to claim to have heard any of yours above, but from experienced Lyr listener gurus on these boards the following are on my "short list" with my BiFrost+Lyr+HE-500:

Ediswan CV2492 / 6922
Matsu / Nation PCC88
Siemens ECC88/PCC88 <= 1970

Ediswan have been great for me so far!  neutral-ish, great sound stage and separation for certain.  without super bright treble either. 
a bit outside your $110 pair budget, but alas- maybe worth it.
otherwise I'd perhaps recommend the Matsu pairing.

Best to keep your headphone sound in mind as you purchase new tubes.  no sense (?) making dark headphones darker with smooth/darker dubes.  nor bright HP more bright with very detailed treble tubes.

good to always compare and re-read:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #477 of 23,493
Thanks for the replies guys. So in terms in bass quality and soundstage, which tubes should I buy? I'm leaning towards the Orange Globes or Bugle Boys or Mastu 6922

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #478 of 23,493
Currently enjoying HD700 driven by Bifrost Uber/Lyr with russian 6N1P. Also tried Amperex Orange Globes 6DJ8 and Matsu 6922 besides stock ones. I prefer 6N1P over Orange Globes but don't really like Matsu 6922 so will be more than happy to sell/trade them. What would you recommend with price not more than $150 but if it really worth to spend extra $10-20 I would do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back