Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #421 of 23,493
It's been a while and I tested many of the tubes I found (at least the ones I had a pair of) and among my favorites are the HP 6DJ8/ECC88 made in holland which are dead quiet and sound very nice!
plus they can be found for around $60 (matched pair)

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #422 of 23,493

Hunt down some Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 3-Mica and be done with it. These were my end game tubes for the MB Air > Bifrost Uber > Lyr > HE-500 combo. If you search through the original thread, you'll see many references on these by veteran tube rollers.

ckc

Yup, those may just be a Holy Grail tube.  requiring alignment of stars and lottery numbers to obtain.  nevertheless, great info.

very much appreciate the recommendation and details of your chain, exactly resembling my new-ish set up.
Cheers!

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #423 of 23,493
  It's been a while, I suppose it's about time we repost Joe's tube lore.  It's a good thing to repost every now and then, that way newbs can get the benefit without having to search too hard.

Be advised, this is a list of one man's opinions.  But these opinions have helped a lot of people find their end game.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

I just wanted to give a BIG THANKS to the tube rolling veterans in this thread, who have helped me (and countless others I suspect) via their postings or PMs when wading through new/old info on tube sonic descriptions, sources to trust and prices for which to budget! ha!

8 months ago I was satisfied with SS amps, but having accumulated a couple- obviously needed a tube alternative and the Lyr + Ediswan have opened my ears. again.
a great experience.

Certainly couldn't not have made wise decisions without the treasure trove of info provided here over the thread years.
Kudos folks!

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #424 of 23,493
are these the ones every keeps talking about? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC88-E88CC-Lorenz-strong-perfect-selected-NOS-NIB-oldest-production-3770-/221098170945?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenröhren_Valves&hash=item337a7a5a41

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #427 of 23,493
Oh well, never mind - Seems like that guy has a good selection of old NOS tubes, though... easy to get carried away of the old ebay - I only goy my Lyr two weeks ago and I have had to have a quiet word with myself after splashing out on about 5 sets... Very exciting though... 

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #428 of 23,493
Lots of chitty chatty about the Siemens CCa? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matched-Pair-CCa-Siemens-NOS-NIB-same-prod-code-SELECTED-SUPERSTRONG-5268-/321195480371?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenröhren_Valves&hash=item4ac8be1533

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #429 of 23,493
The best performing tubes I had used with my Lyr were all Siemens. I don't know if I would consider paying $500 for CCa from Ebay tho. If I was going to spend that sort of money I would go for the E188CC from Upscale or elsewhere.

I'm done with rolling on my Lyr as I feel I have gone as far as it is sanely possible. The best tubes were very nice indeed and it was a surprise as to how good this amp can sound. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now I would probably exclusively look for Siemens as they are currently a better bargain than a lot of other legendary brands.

The last tubes I received just a couple days ago were some 1965 Siemens 6DJ8 from Mercedesman and they are fabulous. A lot of these have RCA and other USA brand labels and go very cheaply.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #430 of 23,493
Nice... I just bought some Mullard RCAs from Mercedesman, not got them yet. He has a pretty good rep. I know what you mean about Upscale, TubeWorld, etc... You pay the extra dollar, but I guess you get what you pay for. Thing is, we all wanna try to find that bargain and scouring ebay is pretty fun and you learn a lot on the way. 

So Sanlitun, you moved onto a Burson - solid state all the way now? 

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #431 of 23,493
  The best performing tubes I had used with my Lyr were all Siemens. I don't know if I would consider paying $500 for CCa from Ebay tho. If I was going to spend that sort of money I would go for the E188CC from Upscale or elsewhere.

I'm done with rolling on my Lyr as I feel I have gone as far as it is sanely possible. The best tubes were very nice indeed and it was a surprise as to how good this amp can sound. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now I would probably exclusively look for Siemens as they are currently a better bargain than a lot of other legendary brands.

The last tubes I received just a couple days ago were some 1965 Siemens 6DJ8 from Mercedesman and they are fabulous. A lot of these have RCA and other USA brand labels and go very cheaply.

+1.

The Siemens CCa are among the best I've ever heard. To my ear, they sound much better than any Lorenz, including the 3-Mica Stuttgart.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #432 of 23,493
Curious what you prefer about the HD800 over the HE-500? Are those your current phones?

I had the HE500s for about a week, and I also tried the new Mad Dogs. Sold the HE500, and sent the MDs back. Great sound on the HE500s, comfort was the issue. I posted this over on the 58 Flagships thread...set off quite a running debate that's still running. Someone even compiled a list of the top headphones ranked by weight. The HE500 sounded really good, especially for the money, I bought them like new on Audiogon with the Moon Silver Dragon cable. The HD800 are the most comfortable HP I have worn, and with the Black Dragon cable that 'cures' it bright, simbilant nature - the best I have heard as well. For me, on my system, plenty of natural bass and extension. And the best soundstage I've heard as well.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #433 of 23,493
Just got a batch of 5 NOS 6BQ7A today and was lucky enough to get 2 RCA black plates (with 2 sylvania grey plates hungary). I know these were mentioned as good sounding for the price they usually go for.
Letting them warm up right now, but no noticeable hum or noise, can't wait!
Also, if ever someone's got a single RCA E188CC/7308 gold pins let me know! I'd be interested in buying it as I only got one and I'd really like to test it!

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #434 of 23,493
I'm really bad to describe what I ear, but at least I can say that RCA 6BQ7A black plates are really worth it if you don't want to rob a bank to have great sound! I'll have to let them burn in a little but first impression is very good!

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #435 of 23,493
I had the HE500s for about a week, and I also tried the new Mad Dogs. Sold the HE500, and sent the MDs back. Great sound on the HE500s, comfort was the issue. I posted this over on the 58 Flagships thread...set off quite a running debate that's still running. Someone even compiled a list of the top headphones ranked by weight. The HE500 sounded really good, especially for the money, I bought them like new on Audiogon with the Moon Silver Dragon cable. The HD800 are the most comfortable HP I have worn, and with the Black Dragon cable that 'cures' it bright, simbilant nature - the best I have heard as well. For me, on my system, plenty of natural bass and extension. And the best soundstage I've heard as well.

I agree that comfort and build quality are a huge issue with the HE-500. You really have to suffer for the music, and with mine I have to constantly tighten the screws holding them together or they will occasionally fall apart.

I think I want to demo the HD800 some day and see where it goes. I don't really like the HD650, I feel they sound very dry and papery and I am always aware I am listening to headphones. If the HD800 can fix these problems maybe I can find a nice used pair in my price range some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back