Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #318 of 23,493
i just got a lyr today, i'm amazed, stunned !
all this power , the ps500 sounds like a different set of headphones in a good way
i'm gonna go back, start from the beginning of the thread, and get an idea of a good first tube
to role, not that the ge's don't sound good, i'm guessing y'all might have found some others that
sound better

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #319 of 23,493
i just got a lyr today, i'm amazed, stunned !
all this power , the ps500 sounds like a different set of headphones in a good way
i'm gonna go back, start from the beginning of the thread, and get an idea of a good first tube
to role, not that the ge's don't sound good, i'm guessing y'all might have found some others that
sound better
And please remember the first tube rolling thread- the link to it is at the start of this thread. Any tube recommendations for the ps500?

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #320 of 23,493
Quote:
And please remember the first tube rolling thread- the link to it is at the start of this thread. Any tube recommendations for the ps500?

well not with the lyr, now the little dot, my favorite is the mullard 6am6, but just yesterday, popped in a pair of erricson 408a's
really helped tame the mid bass, so i may try some other 408's soom

oh i found the first tube rolling thread, thanks

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #321 of 23,493
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the tips!
Since it seemed popular in the old thread I have a pair of cryo'd 6N23P comming in (even if I don't believe in the cryo thing, I had to try them)
Also bought some sealed Telefunken PCC189 and PCC85 for relatively cheap. I'll listen to these tubes (+ the Philips made in holland I found) before dropping serious cash on any other tubes + I'll let my new Lyr burn in a little before getting too excited.
I've seen some gold pins Tesla on ebay, but from what I've read there are several versions of these tubes...

PCC-189 are a variable gain tube, basically like how compression works in some systems, on my TV for example, i notice the music is too loud in films compared to the speech, but there's an option to enable "compression" to make all the sound the same volume, no-more sudden deafening music scores. Some people like this effect, others don't.

PCC85 are a 9.5v heaters compared to the 6.3v the Lyr outputs, will work for sure but definitely not optimally, the maximum heater voltage you should go for in a tube would be 7.6v like the PCC88, there is a lower heater voltage version of the PCC85, look for ECC85, these are more akin to 6N1P tubes that Schiit offers for sale with Lyr.

These are some of the "good" tesla tubes and very good price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E88CC-TESLA-2PCS-/141038429167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_212&hash=item20d68ba3ef Not matched, but worth a punt at that price.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #323 of 23,493
Dude, you are on a roll. We know the Amperex ECC88s are likely to be good. The 12AT7s are a good find too. They are the same family as 12AU7, 12AV7,12AY7, 5751, 12AX7. The 12AT7 is the mid gain of the bunch often found in tube phono preamps, guitar amps, etc.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #325 of 23,493
 oliver1 1986---12at7=plate-170V-grid-=-1.5Vplate current-7MA-gm[ma/v] 4.8  12ax7--= plate-250V--grid-=-2.0--plate current-1.2MA--gm[ma/v] 1.6. Both use the same -B9A base and connections the 12at7 has the higher gain but at an increase in the plate current.- The 12au7 will also fit the same base and connections. So its down to does your amp provide the extra current 5.8 MA to make it work at a higher gain. These figures are taken from a reputable  commercial tube equivalent book. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #328 of 23,493
Testing the Russians ('74 OTK) 6N23P cryo treated right now and i'm not really good at this but I would say the soundstage is great however the highs are a bit too damped for my taste. On the other side though, the amp is brand new, as are the NOS tubes, so I'll have to keep listening. Also, I had a RCA 6922 which wasn't open untill now and as I was pairing my recent findings, I decided to open it up : gold pins 6922/E88CC RCA made in west germany! (don't have another one though)
Next pair up will be the HP (made in holland by Amperex) ECC88.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #329 of 23,493
Quote:
Also, I had a RCA 6922 which wasn't open untill now and as I was pairing my recent findings, I decided to open it up : gold pins 6922/E88CC RCA made in west germany! (don't have another one though)

Probably Siemens again. It should have an acid-etched code on the side of the tube or a metal tag with a code on it inside the tube.

Next pair up will be the HP (made in holland by Amperex) ECC88.

The Dutch manufacturer was called Philips. Philips owned a large number of brands and factories all over, including Amperex, a US subsidiary. The tubes thus went

Philips → Amperex → HP​

and so on. They should also have acid-etched codes.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #330 of 23,493
I recently purchased a used Lyr and the seller included NOS Amperex Orange Globe 1969 tubes.  He said there was around 20 hours on them.  I have given them a try and for some reason they sound way worse than stock to my ears.  They seemed "slow" to my ears and to be honest a bit boring.  The stock tubes sound ok to me but I can tell something is missing especially in the treble area.  I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on some new tubes.

I am using Hifiman HE-400's through a Peactree Audio decco2 all lossless format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back