Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #302 of 23,493
One question: Is that measures of different tubes are available? Frequency response as the site HeadRoom would be interesting Stuff !
(Or how such a tube varies the frequency of such headphones).

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #303 of 23,493
Been following this thread and the one before that forever even though I just registered as a member (and it cost me alot, lol)
I work in a lab full of old equipment and I recently found a box full of tubes (NOS, new never opened!) Lots of RCA Canada, GE etc and out of the lot I had two surprises : one Telefunken E88CC in a RCA box and one unopened (now opened) RCA E188CC/7308 gold pins made in west germany! However I can't find any on ebay or on the net. Has anyone ever tried those? If ever someone has one, I'd be interested in buying it. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #304 of 23,493
Been following this thread and the one before that forever even though I just registered as a member (and it cost me alot, lol)
I work in a lab full of old equipment and I recently found a box full of tubes (NOS, new never opened!) Lots of RCA Canada, GE etc and out of the lot I had two surprises : one Telefunken E88CC in a RCA box and one unopened (now opened) RCA E188CC/7308 gold pins made in west germany! However I can't find any on ebay or on the net. Has anyone ever tried those? If ever someone has one, I'd be interested in buying it. 

Very cool! I know nothing about it, but if no one here has an idea I'd contact Brent Jessee and see what he knows/has.
www.audiotubes.com

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #305 of 23,493
Quote:
 one unopened (now opened) RCA E188CC/7308 gold pins made in west germany! However I can't find any on ebay or on the net. Has anyone ever tried those? If ever someone has one, I'd be interested in buying it. 

This is probably a Siemens rebranded as an RCA. Is there anything on the bottom or etched into the glass?

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #307 of 23,493
Sounds like you struck gold!

https://www.tubeworld.com/7308.htm#7308siemens

That will be a Siemens tube. Find another one and sell me the pair. The E188CC is a high-specd 6DJ8 type; a standard, matched triodes and other stuff.

I am sure we'd all be interested to hear what else you find.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #308 of 23,493
Wow, I feel lucky today :p
Haha, I wish I could find another one! Some tubes are in the wrong box but everything is new and bought a long time ago, so no fakes or crap. I guess I'll have to check them all.
The Telefunken is an ECC83 and I found a pair of Philips E88CC made in holland, also GE E88CC made in england, I don't know if the latter is of any interest.
I'll try to check them all when I've got time!

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #309 of 23,493
Holland will be Amperex, another good find. England, most likely Mullard, sweet! :D

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #310 of 23,493
Great for the tubes I'll have to roll them (and find pairs!)
On a a side note, the Lyr I had was one of my friend's and I just got mine this morning. I thought that stock tubes were supposed to be JJ but I got a pair of GE 6BQ7A in the box that came with it, any thoughts?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #311 of 23,493
Quote:
Great for the tubes I'll have to roll them (and find pairs!)
On a a side note, the Lyr I had was one of my friend's and I just got mine this morning. I thought that stock tubes were supposed to be JJ but I got a pair of GE 6BQ7A in the box that came with it, any thoughts?

Bin them, there are far better tubes out there, and they have pretty much no re-sale value.

ECC88's made in Holland in the 60's and early 70's are a good place to start, may be labelled as Amperex, Philips or even Mullard.

For rolling on a budget, the Russian tubes are exceptional value, 6N23P is the type, you want the Voskhod tubes with the rocket logo, and look for mid 70's to early 80's

English tubes are nice too, Brimar ECC88 or Mullard ECC88, sometimes other makes are labelled as "Made in England"

Also, if you can get them cheap, tubes made in the former Czechoslovakia are quite nice, Tesla would be the make to look out for, particularly the E88CC with gold pins.

If you have stupid money, then look for either Siemens CCa or Telefunken E88CC.

Post here first if you want to get opinions on a tube before you spend the cash, might save you wasting some serious money 
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #312 of 23,493
Thanks a lot for the tips!
Since it seemed popular in the old thread I have a pair of cryo'd 6N23P comming in (even if I don't believe in the cryo thing, I had to try them)
Also bought some sealed Telefunken PCC189 and PCC85 for relatively cheap. I'll listen to these tubes (+ the Philips made in holland I found) before dropping serious cash on any other tubes + I'll let my new Lyr burn in a little before getting too excited.
I've seen some gold pins Tesla on ebay, but from what I've read there are several versions of these tubes...

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #315 of 23,493
Just returned to my recently found pile of tubes :p and I found a pair of Amperex Holland ECC88 - don't know if these are new though (I'll try to roll them this week-end and we'll see) and a few jewels including a GE 6201 red tip, Philips 6201 SQ gold pins and 5 unopened Siemens germany 12AT7, however Those are not supported by the lyr :frowning2:
Anyways just wanted to share that with you guys as finding a boxful of old tubes and looking for rare ones is something one should experience at least once, there is a certain thrill/vibe to it :p
Now I just want to find more boxes like that, don't really know where to look though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back