Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #166 of 23,493
Quote:
The static went away! :D 

You're right, I just used a little sand paper to clean the pins up a bit and BAM dead silence. 

Thanks for the tip Nelamvr6, 

I'll make sure to clean all the tubes I buy from now on.

Glad it worked out! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #167 of 23,493
Boo :frowning2:

I think I have 1 tube that still has a faint static. When I switched positions of the tubes it still had the noise. 

I've tried cleaning it multiple times but no luck so far. Do you guys think I just got a bad tube? I ordered it off ebay :/ 

Are there any tubes I should give a try as well? I might try to order another set of orange globes..

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #168 of 23,493
Quote:

I think I have 1 tube that still has a faint static. When I switched positions of the tubes it still had the noise. 

I've tried cleaning it multiple times but no luck so far. Do you guys think I just got a bad tube? I ordered it off ebay :/ 

Are there any tubes I should give a try as well? I might try to order another set of orange globes..

If you have both cleaned the pins and gave the tubes 50-hours to settle in, then its probably a bad tube.  I would let them run for 50-hours before giving up.  Have you contacted the seller to let them know the tube is noisy?  There are a lot of e-bay sellers that will work something out with you.   The Amperex OGs are nice, as are the Bugle Boys.  The National Matsus tubes are nice for the money. http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm.  Mullards are nice and warm, Telefunkens are neutral and very detailed etc.  So, there are lots of tubes to try ranging from affordable to very pricey. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #169 of 23,493
Quote:

Are you using dampers?  I just switched back to my Orange Globes, but decided to try them without dampers for the first time.  Turns out one of the tubes is very microphonic with a static sound that doesn't go away without dampers.  The herbies are nice, but expensive.  Why not try silicone o-rings first?  They are what I use for the moment and work perfectly for me.  The only danger is that they may remove the silkscreen off your tubes, but I haven't had that happen to me.

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBE-AMP-PREAMP-DAMPERS-FOR-12AX7-12AU7-12AT7-ECC83-EL84-6922-EL84-5751-5687-/350836548915?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item51af7ce533

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #170 of 23,493
hmmm I'll let them run for the 50 hours and see again. I think I'll give the dampers a go as well. 

Tube rolling is starting to become expensive..
tongue.gif

Are those tube socket raisers worth getting as well?

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #171 of 23,493
Quote:
hmmm I'll let them run for the 50 hours and see again. I think I'll give the dampers a go as well. 

tongue.gif

If you're going with the silicone o-ring dampers, you probably won't be able to get 2 o-rings on each tube without socket savers.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #174 of 23,493
Quote:
How's come? Wouldn't it be one more thing in the signal path? Kind of like a splice in a speakers wire?

The tubes are very difficult to access without the extenders. Also, if you tube roll extensively, you will really want that easier access. Using extenders and rolling a lot makes for less wear and tear on the Lyr sockets themselves. It is also easier to put dampeners on if you have very microphonic tubes (some of my very best sounding tubes are extremely microphonic - go figure). The extenders themselves, I believe, help with dampening also.

I have not noticed any degradation in signal using the extenders, but then again I haven't made any A/B comparisons in an attempt to check this.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #175 of 23,493
I got a pair of 79 Voskhods in today that I had ordered long ago. I am pretty much done with rolling but I still have a few stragglers coming in.

These have silver shields between the triodes and are marked with the OTK stamp so hopefully they are going to be good. I've just done a little bit of listening and it seems to be promising and they already sound better than the 83 set I already had. These new ones seem to have a very very nice black background and some great transparency so far. Going to run them for a few days and see where it goes.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #176 of 23,493
Still have a matched pair of '80 Voskhod silver shields for $20 + $7 shipping if anyone wants to try the Rockets.  Great presence and detail.  PM me if interested.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #177 of 23,493
Quote:

tongue.gif

When it comes to the socket savers - yes those are worth it. I mean i know they're expensive if you buy good quailty ones, say from tubemongers. But a lot of people have went for the cheaper build ones made in china. Both work but i prefer to think of the long run expenses if anything.

It helps a lot with tube rolling and you get to admire the tubes glow and looks more with them. 

I do recommend getting  :D

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #179 of 23,493
First song and a half impressions: over the length of the last thread I've read about veils being lifted or dirty Window panes being cleaned. This is the first time I've heard it clearly. This is coming from the 1968 OG halo getter. The detail is insane. After all the hype I almost wanted to dislike these tubes, but everyone is right when they say these could be "end game"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back