Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #46 of 23,493
Quote:
$155.. Fair?

rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #47 of 23,493
Quote:
It's playing music (some prefer pink noise)through the tubes to break them in. Generally, tubes will sound better after 10 to 20 hours of use. So a tube that sounds good upon first listening, may sound greatly improved after they're fully burned in.

Just checking what your definition is, it's pretty much the same as mine

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #48 of 23,493
Quote:
Here are my favorites with the Senn HD800:

1. Amperex 6922 Pinched Waists
2. Siemens & Halske CCa
3. Amperex USN-CEP
4. Siemens & Halske E88CC Grey Shields
5. Amperex Bugle Boy 1959 D-Getters
6. Telefunken E88CC; 1960's
7. RTC (La Radiotechnique) - both Heerlen and Suresnes, France versions

The ordering between #3 and #6 is not cast in stone - could shift around a bit.

i remember your preferred list from the old thread but alas there all very expensive tubes so not been able to have the pleasure of hearing them

im dabbling around in the middle ground - got some Mullard CV2493's and some early 60's Telefunkens coming tomorrow - hopefully they will sound great too

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #49 of 23,493
a pair of my tube has low pitch ambient noise, like the kind of noise you can hear from a strong static field, like a big powerful insect vibrating, and it only is on the left, it's like a constant pressure put on to my ear, 

what is this symptom called?

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #50 of 23,493
I have HE-400 now, but LCD2 has my attention, looks like the Orange Globes were a good choice! I chose 69' over 67' because I was born in 69'! Haha! Anyone know the difference if any?

I'm also curious to know what the difference between the '67 and '69 years is. What are the audible differences?

Also, sorry for the beginner's question, but what exactly is a silk screen percentage? That percentage is significantly different between the two years in mercedesman's auctions.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #51 of 23,493
I'm also curious to know what the difference between the '67 and '69 years is. What are the audible differences?

Also, sorry for the beginner's question, but what exactly is a silk screen percentage? That percentage is significantly different between the two years in mercedesman's auctions.
The silk screen is the writing on the outside of the tube. So a tube with clear and unblemished labeling will have a larger silk screen percentage. Nothing to do with sound quality. I don't have enough experience or knowledge to explain the audible differences between 67 and 69. My pair is from 67 and they sound great. People who have pairs from 68 share similar praise. Mercedesman is a trusted vendor. I'd bet the '69's he has sound just as great.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #52 of 23,493
Quote:
The silk screen is the writing on the outside of the tube. So a tube with clear and unblemished labeling will have a larger silk screen percentage. Nothing to do with sound quality. I don't have enough experience or knowledge to explain the audible differences between 67 and 69.

I need to communicate with him tonight, so i will see what he has to say about the differences between the two years.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #53 of 23,493
Quote:

The info I got:  

[size=10pt]This form of Amperex tube was made between 1967 and 1969. They have o getter construction and as long as they test the same, there is no real difference. In 1969 and 1970 there was a change made to the getter, but the tubes still sounded awesome with the new "single post dimple getter". After that they made the globes with a double post dimple getter til about 1975. That is the short history of the Orange globe tube....[/size]

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #54 of 23,493
i remember your preferred list from the old thread but alas there all very expensive tubes so not been able to have the pleasure of hearing them

im dabbling around in the middle ground - got some Mullard CV2493's and some early 60's Telefunkens coming tomorrow - hopefully they will sound great too

Both the Mullards and the Telefunkens should be very enjoyable.

Please post your impressions after you've had a listen!

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #55 of 23,493
The info I got:  

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000]This form of Amperex tube was made between 1967 and 1969. They have o getter construction and as long as they test the same, there is no real difference. In 1969 and 1970 there was a change made to the getter, but the tubes still sounded awesome with the new "single post dimple getter". After that they made the globes with a double post dimple getter til about 1975. That is the short history of the Orange globe tube....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thank you for the detailed response!

Can I ask what exactly a "getter" is? What is the significance of the older getter compared to the newer "single post dimple getter?"

I apologize again for my lack of knowledge everyone.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #56 of 23,493
Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response!

Can I ask what exactly a "getter" is? What is the significance of the older getter compared to the newer "single post dimple getter?"

I apologize again for my lack of knowledge everyone.

Asking the wrong guy man! That was a cut and paste job from the email! I know the getter is at the top of the tube and kind of disc shaped, but i have no idea what it does! I guess I learned about this stuff like 25 years ago, but I don't remember! I'm sure someone here will tell us! I just know I got a good set of tubes coming my way and there is no need to get the '67 instead of the '69! Haha!

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #60 of 23,493
The old thread was a treasure trove of knowledge.  But to be honest, most people didn't read much of it.  But it's still there.  Anyone who want to learn, and not just get quick answers, would be well advised to read more than just the last two pages...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back