Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #31 of 23,493
My only complaint to Ebay sellers is that They don't list the year of the tube.  Especially, when I'm trying to find Voskhod rocket, I can't find the year...
Very frustrating! 

Thank you for listening  
deadhorse.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 23,493
Quote:
+1 (hope it's the Amperex I just bought!)

I bought an Amperex as a "warm" tube (as opposed to a Mullard). If it is not warm enough, I will try a Mullard. I got a Siemens as a neutral tube. Waiting for their arrival, so I can have a good old fashioned shoot-out with my Marantz SACD8004, Lyr and different tubes/cans.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 23,493
What is the general consensus on the best tubes for the LCD-2s?

I do prefer a warmer sound signature with a wide soundstage as well, with nothing dry/over-analytical.

I would suggest checking out some amperex orange globes. I have the Halo getter 1968? Version and love them with my lcds. They offer a nice punch in the lower end with liquid smooth mids and aren't horribly expensive.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 23,493
Quick shout out to Sceleratus who sold me his RTCs and is still providing excellent service despite being banned from head-fi for "bickering" also if you are ten years old and are under the impression that everything you spend money on will last forever, this hobby is not for you. Tubes can be pricey and have a finite life. Spend what you will and enjoy while you can. I'll have a review of the 1965 RTCs soon!

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #36 of 23,493
I have HE-400 now, but LCD2 has my attention, looks like the Orange Globes were a good choice! I chose 69' over 67' because I was born in 69'! Haha! Anyone know the difference if any?

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #37 of 23,493
Quote:
Quick shout out to Sceleratus who sold me his RTCs and is still providing excellent service despite being banned from head-fi for "bickering" also if you are ten years old and are under the impression that everything you spend money on will last forever, this hobby is not for you. Tubes can be pricey and have a finite life. Spend what you will and enjoy while you can. I'll have a review of the 1965 RTCs soon!

You would rather your things last shorter than longer? interesting mindset

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #39 of 23,493
Quote:

How much did you pay for your glass?

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #41 of 23,493
I have HE-400 now, but LCD2 has my attention, looks like the Orange Globes were a good choice! I chose 69' over 67' because I was born in 69'! Haha! Anyone know the difference if any?
Considering they were bought from mercedesman, there likely isn't much difference. The type of getter would probably make a bigger difference- the late 60's o-getter you purchased is a great choice. Just a friendly reminder (though probably not necessary) how important it is to burn tubes in upon arrival. My Orange Globes really opened up after 20 hours or so.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 23,493
Ha, not what I meant or what I said? Any who, not sure about the difference between the years. People seem to prefer the older ones thinking they sound best. I would also be interested what others who have maybe heard both would say the differences are. Let us know what you think of the '69s!

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #44 of 23,493
Quote:
Considering they were bought from mercedesman, there probably isn't much difference. The type of getter would make a difference, though the o-getter late 60's you purchased is a great choice. Just a friendly reminder (though probably not necessary) how important it is to burn tubes in upon arrival.

Thanks for the info.  Just for the record, what is your definition of "burn tubes in"?

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #45 of 23,493
Thanks for the info.  Just for the record, what is your definition of "burn tubes in"?
It's playing music (some prefer pink noise)through the tubes to break them in. Generally, tubes will sound better after 10 to 20 hours of use. So a tube that sounds good upon first listening, may sound greatly improved after they're fully burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back