Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #22,426 of 23,493
Can't remember who it was not too long ago that said a good, quiet 6DJ8 sounded better than a 6922 of the same lineage, but he must have been a pretty cool guy. :slight_smile:
Who knew! All this time, I thought that 6DJ8/ECC88 was not worth my time and inferior, compared to the 6922/E88CC and 7308/E188CC, but that has completely changed. I don't know why, but d getters and sqaure getters, always sound better, than o getters. The Bugle Boy Holland ECC88 d getter, is blowing my mind! I am waking up a couple of hours earlier, and racing home after work, to listen with these amazing tubes. The vocals are perfect, the stage is huge, detail, air and resolution are top notch, there is organic warmth, and the freaking bass is insane. I am a basshead, and have never ever had to turn down the volume, because of too much bass, and it is usually the other way around, meaning I usually have to turn up the volume to get the bass where I want it. However that is not the case with this tube. The bass hits so freakin hard, I literally thought I was going to blow out my ears! However, it never muddies up the mids. This tube can't be beat, for the price. Another positive thing with this tube, is that I have more range on the volume control, as in I listen at around 9 to 11, instead of 8;30 to 9, which is a big plus with the LP's gain issue. This tube seems a bit warmer than the Brimar CV2492, but also has better resolve, so it is a win win for me. Overall, this has been a hell of a tube roll, and this tube is a keeper.

Happy hunting and rolling!

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #22,427 of 23,493
Who knew! All this time, I thought that 6DJ8/ECC88 was not worth my time and inferior, compared to the 6922/E88CC and 7308/E188CC, but that has completely changed. I don't know why, but d getters and sqaure getters, always sound better, than o getters. The Bugle Boy Holland ECC88 d getter, is blowing my mind! I am waking up a couple of hours earlier, and racing home after work, to listen with these amazing tubes. The vocals are perfect, the stage is huge, detail, air and resolution are top notch, there is organic warmth, and the freaking bass is insane. I am a basshead, and have never ever had to turn down the volume, because of too much bass, and it is usually the other way around, meaning I usually have to turn up the volume to get the bass where I want it. However that is not the case with this tube. The bass hits so freakin hard, I literally thought I was going to blow out my ears! However, it never muddies up the mids. This tube can't be beat, for the price. Another positive thing with this tube, is that I have more range on the volume control, as in I listen at around 9 to 11, instead of 8;30 to 9, which is a big plus with the LP's gain issue. This tube seems a bit warmer than the Brimar CV2492, but also has better resolve, so it is a win win for me. Overall, this has been a hell of a tube roll, and this tube is a keeper.

D getter tubes are earlier tubes vs O getter which is why they sound better than O getter tubes. Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 and Valvo Hamburg PCC88 pinched waist are fantastic.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #22,428 of 23,493
D getter tubes are earlier tubes vs O getter which is why they sound better than O getter tubes. Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 and Valvo Hamburg PCC88 pinched waist are fantastic.
Simple enough explanation, as to why they are better.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #22,429 of 23,493

I have always preferred a 6DJ8 to a 6922. They have always just sounded more natural and organic to me. But that’s just my opinion and my preference — I’m sure many think differently. Biggest problem with 6DJ8’s (in my experience) has been finding ones that are quiet and not microphonic. Seems to be a much higher percentage with those issues relative to the 6922. My mostest favorite-est tube (after a WE 300B) is a late ‘50’’s Telefunken ECC88. Of course, I’ve listened to maybe 10% of all the 6DJ8’s available out there, so let’s just say it’s my favorite of the ones I’ve listened to.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #22,430 of 23,493
I have always preferred a 6DJ8 to a 6922. They have always just sounded more natural and organic to me. But that’s just my opinion and my preference — I’m sure many think differently. Biggest problem with 6DJ8’s (in my experience) has been finding ones that are quiet and not microphonic. Seems to be a much higher percentage with those issues relative to the 6922. My mostest favorite-est tube (after a WE 300B) is a late ‘50’’s Telefunken ECC88. Of course, I’ve listened to maybe 10% of all the 6DJ8’s available out there, so let’s just say it’s my favorite of the ones I’ve listened to.
Nice! Now I am on the hunt for the Telefunken.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #22,432 of 23,493
I've had mid 60's Telefunken ECC88, they were a huge disappointment. Remembered my in depth and extended evaluation, (dull and lifeless.)
I actually just read that same thing some where else. Thanks TK, I am not looking for them anymore. I am happy with the Bugle Boys.

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #22,433 of 23,493
I actually just read that same thing some where else. Thanks TK, I am not looking for them anymore. I am happy with the Bugle Boys.
Reading all these posts, I realized I had a 1956 (I believe) Holland d getter bugle boy and just slapped it in the MJ2 today. I don’t believe I’ve even gave a listen yet until today. I gotta say, I agree with you Wes. Quite the nice sounding tube.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #22,434 of 23,493
I've had mid 60's Telefunken ECC88, they were a huge disappointment. Remembered my in depth and extended evaluation, (dull and lifeless.)

Something happened with Fotons in 1960....they got less good. Maybe it was a worldwide event. The 50's Tele's are quite nice IMO.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #22,435 of 23,493
Something happened with Fotons in 1960....they got less good. Maybe it was a worldwide event. The 50's Tele's are quite nice IMO.
I will keep an eye out for the 50's, but it looks like all on ebay at the moment are 60's. Thanks for the tip!

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #22,436 of 23,493
Anyone here ever rolled a Brimar 6067 T series? The 6067 is supposed to be the cream of the crop, of Brimar CV4003, and the T series is a special low noise top tier tested tube. I just took deliver of one from 66' with the big o getter, and it looks identical to my Brimar CV4003 from Upscale Audio. I am rolling it in tonight, and can't wait to see how it compares to the Brimar CV4034 and CV4003.

On another note, anyone ever roll the Brimar ECC88? I see that Tubemonger has some, and I am curious how they compare to my beloved Brimar CV2492/E88CC. If they are a bit warmer, that might be just the ticket. . .

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #22,437 of 23,493
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #22,438 of 23,493
Anyone here ever rolled a Brimar 6067 T series? The 6067 is supposed to be the cream of the crop, of Brimar CV4003, and the T series is a special low noise top tier tested tube. I just took deliver of one from 66' with the big o getter, and it looks identical to my Brimar CV4003 from Upscale Audio. I am rolling it in tonight, and can't wait to see how it compares to the Brimar CV4034 and CV4003.

On another note, anyone ever roll the Brimar ECC88? I see that Tubemonger has some, and I am curious how they compare to my beloved Brimar CV2492/E88CC. If they are a bit warmer, that might be just the ticket. . .

Happy Rolling and Listening!
I believe I have an ecc88 brimar but haven’t rolled it in probably a year+.
I can check it out tomorrow morning and let you know if it’s on the warmer side or ear piercing. If I remember correctly, it was on the brighter side. Also, to the best of my recollection, they were detail monsters.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #22,439 of 23,493
I believe I have an ecc88 brimar but haven’t rolled it in probably a year+.
I can check it out tomorrow morning and let you know if it’s on the warmer side or ear piercing. If I remember correctly, it was on the brighter side. Also, to the best of my recollection, they were detail monsters.
Cool man! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back