Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #22,351 of 23,493
While your logic is certainly spot-on, the reality of the situation is not. Ebay is not going to suspend or cancel an account without incontrovertible proof of misdeed (and justifiably so), so let's say there was a concerted effort and a bunch of time spent to provide this info to Ebay. They cancel BangyBang's account(s), and he'll just spring up the next day with a new account, identity, and spoofed IP if needed. This is really no different than spammers, robocallers, telemarketers, etc. that once (if ever) busted just change their identity and continue on unhindered.

@AuditoryCanvas offered the best advice: consult with people here. I've been so impressed ever since I joined HeadFi with the freely shared advice, experience, and knowledge that is offered here. I've spent a lot of years playing with tubes, but there are guys here that have probably forgotten more than I've ever learned.
Fubar'd the quote please don't report me.

And as far as the Old_Guy_Radiola / BangyBang relationship that AC has already detailed, check out this listing. Scroll towards the bottom. They missed editing this one. :laughing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PIECES-N...142910?hash=item46789b1ffe:g:F7MAAOSwMN9XQ~0w
Forget the seller, what we all want to know is the sound sig on the tubes in your link.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #22,352 of 23,493
Forget the seller, what we all want to know is the sound sig on the tubes in your link.

Sadly I don't have any. But if I had to guess I suspect they're rather digital sounding. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #22,354 of 23,493
So, I tried the late ‘70’s Reflektor 6h23-ebs and the Jan Sylvania 6922s in the Schiit today, and neither really did the trick for me. The Reflektors delivered on the bottom, as expected, but that’s it. The midrange was downright turgid. Possibly the tubes are no longer matched after having spent time in the line stage of a preamp. I have some other sets to try another time. The JAN Sylvania were perfectly acceptable, certainly an improvement over the stock tubes, but no real magic. Good separation, good clean sound, but no depth and no real ‘pop’. In my rig, the ‘79 rocket logos and the tungsrams seem to be the best of what I have on hand - both deliver great body, wonderful overall tonal balance and great definition (which I define as the ability to hear separate individual voices or instruments), without going over the line and getting too detailed and thin sounding. One particular track I used today, The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down from Garcia Live #8, deserves mention. The Reflektors were just a mess - while you could still hear that it was live jgb, it sounded like the band was unrehearsed and the vocal harmonies were just sludge. The Sylvania cured the sludge issue but, again, not particularly engaging. With both the Voskhod sand the tungsrams, however, you could not only hear each individual background vocalist in her proper place, but you could hear an aging Jerry, singing his heart out and enunciating every word with a voice that was just starting to go ragged with age (this show was from 1991). Really great stuff. For now, I’m sticking with the tungsram e88cc/6dj8 because, IMHO, they’re a tad closer neutral, particularly in the bass - the rockets add just a bit more caramel to the latte, making Jerry’s voice sound a little less world weary than it actually was at that point in time. With the Tungsrams, it was all laid bare, while retaining the overall beauty and majesty of the music. That said, if I was using more neutral headphones in this set up (600’s instead of the 580’s, for example), I’d probably go the other way.

As always, just my $.02, YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #22,355 of 23,493
Btw the 55/56 pair of Blackburn ECC82s is quite great yo.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #22,356 of 23,493
It is gonna be real hard to take that 7316 out! That tube is unreal, and I don't thing anything can touch it.
I hear you. I got the 7316 D Getters a couple months ago, and they haven't left my Lyr 2 since. They're going to take away my tube rolling license for overextended tube in socket violations. My 6C8Gs wonder where I went....

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #22,360 of 23,493
I just scored a pair of Amperex Holland ECC88 d getters, and can't wait to give them a try! We will see if they can dethrone, my beloved Brimar CV2492. . .

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #22,362 of 23,493
Recently got a quad for $70 shipped.
Nice! I got the perfectly match NOS pair for $30. I figure for that money, they were worth a shot.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #22,364 of 23,493
Was that an auction? Really good price. You ever try the D getter Heerlen ECC82 long plates yet? Just got a single and 3 more incoming for about $250.
Not an auction. I got them from one of my favorite tube dealers. I will reveal the source, after I have decided if I need a backup pair. I still have not tried the ECC82 Heerlen D getter, because I can't bring myself to take out the 7316. However, that is about to change, as I plan to do some rolling with both my amps, this weekend. I will report back, after some proper listening.

On another note, I do have a replacement Brimar CV4034 arriving today, as my first one went noisy, so I am rolling that one in tonight.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #22,365 of 23,493
Wth you guys into ECC88 D-Getters? I've had always had a few of those and PCC88s as well (and I advocated them!) and PCC88 pinched waists (for sale too!) and nobody gave a hoot :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back