Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #20,896 of 23,493
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Capture.JPG

Glass. House. Stone.

Nuff said. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #20,897 of 23,493
i have found the same thing to be true for tubes, usually the older the better. Most of my tubes are from the 60s, but I do have some from the 50s and even a few Hytron 5654s with January 1945 dates on them. They are sweet! That's good to hear about the 12A*7 family being the way to go on the Lyr 2 as they are the signal tubes I have the most of. My usual go to when using a tube form this family are late 50s, early 60s RCA Triple Mica Black Plates with bent square getters. Of course these things are equipment dependent but I usually start with the RCA 5751 TM BP and go from there. Looks like I'll be getting some 6DJ8 to 12A*7 adaptors! LoL!

Just be sure to stay within the heater current limits of the Lyr 2 at 415ma. Some 12a*7 variants exceed it when running at 6v.

@Dawgfish first off welcome to the thread! Lots of great people here and good advice! If you have time go back to page 1241 and read from there, lots of great information including the information @AuditoryCanvas was talking about, I included a screenshot of that information that starts on page 1241 of this thread. Hope this information helps!

1A989930-6E90-41DF-B318-C210D32328AE.png

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #20,898 of 23,493
@Dawgfish first off welcome to the thread! Lots of great people here and good advice! If you have time go back to page 1241 and read from there, lots of great information including the information @AuditoryCanvas was talking about, I included a screenshot of that information that starts on page 1241 of this thread. Hope this information helps!

Thank you so much for the welcome and all of the great info! It's great to have options and I'm just glad I don't have to start from scratch accumulating a bunch of tubes to try. I had a much more lucrative job when I accumulated most of my tubes in the past and I couldn't do the same thing now. Can't wait to get the adapters and try some of my favorite 12AU7 and 12AX7 types. Also glad I have a few 6DJ8 types to try until the adaptors come in. Waiting on stuff being shipped from China can try one's patience! Lol!

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #20,899 of 23,493

Fail post, none of the links work!

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #20,900 of 23,493
Thank you so much for the welcome and all of the great info! It's great to have options and I'm just glad I don't have to start from scratch accumulating a bunch of tubes to try. I had a much more lucrative job when I accumulated most of my tubes in the past and I couldn't do the same thing now. Can't wait to get the adapters and try some of my favorite 12AU7 and 12AX7 types. Also glad I have a few 6DJ8 types to try until the adaptors come in. Waiting on stuff being shipped from China can try one's patience! Lol!

No problem, glad I could help, I think you will really enjoy your 12**7 family of tubes in your amp! Glad you have some 6DJ8 to listen too for a while as the adapters from China can take a while to arrive (mine took just over 2 weeks) another piece of advice if you don’t already have a pair of socket savers I recommend getting a pair, most of us here have the Tubemonger socket savers, here is the link: https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #20,902 of 23,493
Don`t buy from this seller. Ordered stuff April 1 and no communication, shipping notice or tracking. Have to open a case tomorrow to get my money back.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/keymagno?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #20,903 of 23,493
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #20,904 of 23,493
20190426_210742.jpg

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #20,905 of 23,493
Using the above setup to power the Argons at home. Will be using the Lyr 2 at work when it arrives. I just got a Dyson Audio speaker to balanced XLR headphone adaptor in today to use a Primaluna Prologue 4 to power the Argons and just set up a tentative setup to try it out. I'm streaming Tidal MQA files using an LGV35 with quad dac feeding a Liquid Spark as a master volume control into the Primaluna. The Primaluna is using Tung Sol KT-120 power tubes with RCA 5751 TM BPs and CBS-Hytron 5814s as signal tubes. The combo is stunning! I'm going to also be using a MHDT NOS tube dac with this setup, but just quickly set this up to test and only had two power outlets avaible at this location. The thing that is really surprising is how quiet this setup is! Very, very little hiss and noise is apparent even between tracks with the master volume turned up relatively loud. Really digging this!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #20,906 of 23,493
Using the above setup to power the Argons at home. Will be using the Lyr 2 at work when it arrives. I just got a Dyson Audio speaker to balanced XLR headphone adaptor in today to use a Primaluna Prologue 4 to power the Argons and just set up a tentative setup to try it out. I'm streaming Tidal MQA files using an LGV35 with quad dac feeding a Liquid Spark as a master volume control into the Primaluna. The Primaluna is using Tung Sol KT-120 power tubes with RCA 5751 TM BPs and CBS-Hytron 5814s as signal tubes. The combo is stunning! I'm going to also be using a MHDT NOS tube dac with this setup, but just quickly set this up to test and only had two power outlets avaible at this location. The thing that is really surprising is how quite this setup is! Very, very little hiss and noise is apparent even between tracks with the master volume turned up relatively loud. Really digging this!
Sorry you cannot post here without any Schitt gear. Not my rules.
Missed the Lyr 2, your good!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #20,907 of 23,493
Sorry you cannot post here without any Schitt gear. Not my rules.
Missed the Lyr 2, your good!
It's hard to see but there's a Magni 2 Uber in the pic just above the Primaluna in the background. Tried it as the volume control first. Got to say the Liquid Spark has much better synergy with this setup as a preamp than the Magni 2 Uber. What's going to be interesting is trying the Lyr 2 as the preamp as I generally prefer running tube preamps with tube amps (very much like the combo of tube preamps with solid state amps though). I have a couple of spare tube preamps laying around, but they are both too large for this setup. The preamp I use in my main system is a Joule Electra LA-150 MK2 and it's twice the size of the Primaluna!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #20,908 of 23,493
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #20,909 of 23,493
It's hard to see but there's a Magni 2 Uber in the pic just above the Primaluna in the background. Tried it as the volume control first. Got to say the Liquid Spark has much better synergy with this setup as a preamp than the Magni 2 Uber. What's going to be interesting is trying the Lyr 2 as the preamp as I generally prefer running tube preamps with tube amps (very much like the combo of tube preamps with solid state amps though). I have a couple of spare tube preamps laying around, but they are both too large for this setup. The preamp I use in my main system is a Joule Electra LA-150 MK2 and it's twice the size of the Primaluna!
Been toying with the idea of using the MJ2 as a preamp for the Liquid Platinum. Tried it but couldn't get it to work. Don't think I had them connected right. Never used an amp as a pre amp.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #20,910 of 23,493
Correct Avoid this seller I purchased from him as well same time as TK and same situation no tube, no communication, will also be opening a case tomorrow to get my money back!
I put the blame square on you. You should of bought all of them first time out. Guy got 11 negatives just in the last few weeks. He's ruining his reputation. From memory he has 11 negative, 2 neutral and 89 positive this month. I think most buyers look at the feedback before buying. I'd recommend everyone stay away from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back