Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #20,686 of 23,493
Defiantly a fuller sound than other Teles I've listened to. Can be slightly bright on the top end depending on listening setup. One of my favorites for instrumentals and rock. Quite revealing and a keeper in my book.
They sound like the description of the Tele ECC801S that @billerb1 and @OldSkool describe with their gear. Heard a lot of Tele`s in my tube rolling adventures and these are one of the best I have tried.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #20,688 of 23,493
They sound like the description of the Tele ECC801S that @billerb1 and @OldSkool describe with their gear. Heard a lot of Tele`s in my tube rolling adventures and these are one of the best I have tried.
I agree. Also sounds like the 801s might have a larger sound stage from their descriptions.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #20,689 of 23,493
Norne Silvergarde for mj2 to Utopia, Norne custom solid silver interconnects between Yggi, Pultec EQs, and MJ2, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB from Mac to Yggi, and then these heavyweight chords for power from the power conditioners (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2SBWK...&pd_rd_r=c6c75fd5-5ff2-11e9-9672-417ebf68296c)

Cables do make a difference, not just the materials, but the science behind them, and how they're made. There are snake oil sellers out there though - There are a few expensive brand cables that have been taken apart to find some very shady findings.
These cables are so thin, you think they are good enough to use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2SBWK...-11e9-9672-417ebf68296c&tag=3340693-headfi-20

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #20,690 of 23,493
I agree. Also sounds like the 801s might have a larger sound stage from their descriptions.

Yes Sir...a very large sound stage, both in width and depth. Instruments easily located in space. Lots of detail and resolution.

That’s how I hear the 801s, not sure what Bill hears. He’s old. :wink:

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #20,691 of 23,493
Yes Sir...a very large sound stage, both in width and depth. Instruments easily located in space. Lots of detail and resolution.

That’s how I hear the 801s, not sure what Bill hears. He’s old. :wink:

Didn't I already say what I hear ? Hmmm, I can't remember (that was for OldSkool, lol). Really what separates the 801S's for me is their ability to bring out the nuanced harmonic subtleties of each instrument and voice. On my gear the Teles deliver the closest thing to real instrument timbre and size that I've heard on headphones. In short they deliver a more complex note. There are a lot of very good tubes that are great at retrieving certain details but they are flatter, thinner, "smaller" and less textured on my gear. I've been involved in live music most of my life and the Teles deliver the closest thing to that live, pulsating, breathing sound. Don't know if this translates to the MJ2, Lyr 2, etc...but they sure deliver for me.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #20,692 of 23,493
Didn't I already say what I hear ? Hmmm, I can't remember (that was for OldSkool, lol). Really what separates the 801S's for me is their ability to bring out the nuanced harmonic subtleties of each instrument and voice. On my gear the Teles deliver the closest thing to real instrument timbre and size that I've heard on headphones. In short they deliver a more complex note. There are a lot of very good tubes that are great at retrieving certain details but they are flatter, thinner, "smaller" and less textured on my gear. I've been involved in live music most of my life and the Teles deliver the closest thing to that live, pulsating, breathing sound. Don't know if this translates to the MJ2, Lyr 2, etc...but they sure deliver for me.
Damn Bill,
Right when i think I’m done buying tubes (after the 10 pairs Ive picked up in the past 30 days) I read your eloquent and most bodacious description of these tubes. You’re killing me smalls!!

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #20,693 of 23,493
Damn Bill,
Right when i think I’m done buying tubes (after the 10 pairs Ive picked up in the past 30 days) I read your eloquent and most bodacious description of these tubes. You’re killing me smalls!!
It's a bad pairing with the MJ2. I tried 5 cans 2 dacs with similar results. Think I am going to keep them for a future amp. I hear all the things that are said about these tubes, except for being quite lean overall. Reminds me when I switched from the Lyr2 to the MJ2. Siemens CCa had similar results. They sounded holy grail in the Lyr2, not so much in the MJ2. Still burning them in, can't make a final determination with 28 hours on them.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #20,694 of 23,493
It's a bad pairing with the MJ2. I tried 5 cans 2 dacs with similar results. Think I am going to keep them for a future amp. I hear all the things that are said about these tubes, except for being quite lean overall. Reminds me when I switched from the Lyr2 to the MJ2. Siemens CCa had similar results. They sounded holy grail in the Lyr2, not so much in the MJ2. Still burning them in, can't make a final determination with 28 hours on them.
I’m just gonna stand pat then instead of jumping on a pair. Thanx for the reply and info as we have pretty much the same gear.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #20,697 of 23,493
Well, I guess I have seen it all now. My ECC801s (My third pair) arrive today from India. At least both have bottom diamonds but 1 tube is marked 12AT7WA. Yes, I guess it technically is a 12AT7WA, but I have NEVER EVER seen any marked that way. It gets worse...both tubes have 4 top seams, on top of the tube, like a Siemens or Amperex. My other 2 pairs of 801S have no seams. What???

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #20,698 of 23,493
Well, I guess I have seen it all now. My ECC801s (My third pair) arrive today from India. At least both have bottom diamonds but 1 tube is marked 12AT7WA. Yes, I guess it technically is a 12AT7WA, but I have NEVER EVER seen any marked that way. It gets worse...both tubes have 4 top seams, on top of the tube, like a Siemens or Amperex. My other 2 pairs of 801S have no seams. What???
You should of bought pair 19.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #20,699 of 23,493
I'm thinking the owner of pair19 isn't gonna like them anyway, so maybe I will wind up with them after all. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back