Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 18, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #17,836 of 23,493
I know all the talk about cheap Chinese tubes and nobody buys them. But????
it could be good but I’m thinking its going to be Schiit. :)
Has anyone seriously tried them or just have fun trash talking them?

I am breaking in a pair of these in my preamp which is switchable voltage for 6922 or 12AU7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1-New...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Received with individual serial numbers and test reports, matched pair (it is nice to be able to buy something in current production actually...)
Only have 30 hours or so (BIG stage, good detail and tone, but somewhat loose bass currently),
.... these will probably replace my 3 sets of 74 and 75 matched Reflektors, and everything else I have on hand..
Still have some more cool stuff to try though... will report back after things break in...

May 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #17,839 of 23,493
AC got matched pairs of the 60's for $25. $21.95 untested very long shipping vs $25 matched quick shipping. Maybe if those eBay Foton's were around $5-7 pair plus $7 shipping, maybe worth the chance.

May 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #17,841 of 23,493
May 18, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #17,845 of 23,493
I am breaking in a pair of these in my preamp which is switchable voltage for 6922 or 12AU7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1-New-Matched-Pair-Audio-Vacuum-tubes-PSVANE-12AU7-T-ECC82-MARK-II/291973656434?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Received with individual serial numbers and test reports, matched pair (it is nice to be able to buy something in current production actually...)
Only have 30 hours or so (BIG stage, good detail and tone, but somewhat loose bass currently),
.... these will probably replace my 3 sets of 74 and 75 matched Reflektors, and everything else I have on hand..
Still have some more cool stuff to try though... will report back after things break in...

If you like the 12AU7 presentation, check out the RCA cleartops (the chrome domes don't sound nearly as good). Can still be had for cheap, and pretty much kick butt. Not as good as, say, an Amperex 7316, but those are now commanding $100+/tube. No experience with the seller in the link, but $20/tube with matched triodes is a nice deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RC...074265&hash=item5b0281723c:g:TOEAAOSwTA9X4G7A

May 18, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #17,846 of 23,493
Just got my 3 mica Istok and 2 mica Fotons from AC today. They arrived in perfect condition, thanks again AC :thumbsup:I'll let them burn in when I'm not listening, but right now I'm enjoying my new Tung Sol 2c51's.

As far as those (Tung Sol 2c51) go, I've had them for about a week now. Although I haven't been keeping exact tract, I think they should have about 100 hours on them at this point, most of which was not actual listening time but rather leaving my amp on and letting them cook a bit. I'm not as good at describing what I hear as a lot of you guys, but I'll give it a go nonetheless with some initial impressions. I definitely notice an improvement over the stock Lyr 2 tubes. One big thing that stands out to me is the soundstage, especially the soundstage depth. The stock tubes tended to compress the height of the stage as well as the depth. I often felt like the drums and vocals were kind of smeared together and in one plane with each other. With the 2c51, I get a much better impression of the singer being front and center, with a "bigger" image that helps portray that, and the drums in the background. It was particularly impressive in a few songs where the drummer was singing some backup vocals/harmony. For the first time, I actually had the impression that those vocals were actually coming from behind the lead vocals. It sounds like a small thing, but noticing little things like this in songs that I've heard many times before is really cool and rewarding. I also noticed some subtle reverb in a song that I had never noticed before. These are just some first impressions, I'll give more as I get more used to them.

I did have a couple questions though. I noticed that a lot of you guys recommend socket savers, even for people with adapters. I don't have much trouble getting tubes in and out with the added height of the 6922 to 5670 adapter I have now, is there a reason to add a socket saver?

Another question - has anyone heard the LM Ericcson 2c51 tubes? Gold pin or otherwise. And if so, how do they compare to the WE and TS 2c51? I haven't seen too many impressions from the LM E's in this thread or from a google search.

I'm a bit conflicted as to whether I want to buy a few more set of tubes (LM E's and/or WE 396a). I want to be able to finally tube roll for myself and think it would be fun to see how different tubes affect what I hear. I also really want to try the WE 396a after hearing how much people like them. But I do worry that after spending too much more money I might regret not just selling my Lyr 2 and picking up a Lyr 3. I don't want to let my enthusiasm for finally being able to roll some tubes drive me entirely broke lol. The way I'm currently justifying it is that I can always sell them for not much less than I paid if I don't end up using them or regret it.

That post was longer than I intended, but I'd love any input you guys have. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #17,847 of 23,493
Total gateway drug. My '59 Reflektors were the first 6N3Ps that really caught my ear. Before I knew it, I've got Soviet schiit piled up on the floor, with a quad of '53 Foton 6NS8s inbound, and you fools have me hoping they're "ribbed." God help me. I'm off to find Sammy and let him know there's no point in coming back, as we'll just end up back "here" ... i.e., wherever it is I find him. Hope he knows how to build an igloo... or a tee-pee... or a Quonset hut.

This is a true story dedicated to Bill. It shall come to pass. If any of you can find The Lab, the not-so-slim pickings are all yours :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LMAO! Already gone. AC, was that you?

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #17,850 of 23,493
Just got my 3 mica Istok and 2 mica Fotons from AC today. They arrived in perfect condition, thanks again AC :thumbsup:I'll let them burn in when I'm not listening, but right now I'm enjoying my new Tung Sol 2c51's.

As far as those (Tung Sol 2c51) go, I've had them for about a week now. Although I haven't been keeping exact tract, I think they should have about 100 hours on them at this point, most of which was not actual listening time but rather leaving my amp on and letting them cook a bit. I'm not as good at describing what I hear as a lot of you guys, but I'll give it a go nonetheless with some initial impressions. I definitely notice an improvement over the stock Lyr 2 tubes. One big thing that stands out to me is the soundstage, especially the soundstage depth. The stock tubes tended to compress the height of the stage as well as the depth. I often felt like the drums and vocals were kind of smeared together and in one plane with each other. With the 2c51, I get a much better impression of the singer being front and center, with a "bigger" image that helps portray that, and the drums in the background. It was particularly impressive in a few songs where the drummer was singing some backup vocals/harmony. For the first time, I actually had the impression that those vocals were actually coming from behind the lead vocals. It sounds like a small thing, but noticing little things like this in songs that I've heard many times before is really cool and rewarding. I also noticed some subtle reverb in a song that I had never noticed before. These are just some first impressions, I'll give more as I get more used to them.

I did have a couple questions though. I noticed that a lot of you guys recommend socket savers, even for people with adapters. I don't have much trouble getting tubes in and out with the added height of the 6922 to 5670 adapter I have now, is there a reason to add a socket saver?

Another question - has anyone heard the LM Ericcson 2c51 tubes? Gold pin or otherwise. And if so, how do they compare to the WE and TS 2c51? I haven't seen too many impressions from the LM E's in this thread or from a google search.

I'm a bit conflicted as to whether I want to buy a few more set of tubes (LM E's and/or WE 396a). I want to be able to finally tube roll for myself and think it would be fun to see how different tubes affect what I hear. I also really want to try the WE 396a after hearing how much people like them. But I do worry that after spending too much more money I might regret not just selling my Lyr 2 and picking up a Lyr 3. I don't want to let my enthusiasm for finally being able to roll some tubes drive me entirely broke lol. The way I'm currently justifying it is that I can always sell them for not much less than I paid if I don't end up using them or regret it.

That post was longer than I intended, but I'd love any input you guys have. Thanks!
Socket savers do exactly that. If you’re pulling tubes frequently, they protect your sockets. Cheaper to replace than your amp’s sockets if they die.

I have the LM Ericsson, a very different beast to the TS in my opinion. I really didn’t like the TS, found them bass light, mid forward, and top end relaxed. The opposite of what I like.

The Ericsson, are well balanced, quite neutral, good bottom and top end, not overly mid forward. Great soundstage and separation. If you like warm tubes, these aren’t the tubes you’re looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back