Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #17,042 of 23,493
Ok, thanks! Last question...use adapter, or nah?

Cooling WA2 down now.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #17,045 of 23,493
Thanks, TK...I will fire them up in a few minutes.

I'm starting to get suspicious about these as we haven't heard from Bill in a while. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #17,046 of 23,493
OK, thanks guys. Now I need to cook these for about 2 years, right? :wink:

Takes about 2 years before the crackle and background noise become quiet, another year for it to finally settle in sound wise, and about a month then after before it blazes out in fiery spectacle. But damn it if that isn’t the best month of your life.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #17,047 of 23,493
Sounds like April 2021 will be a good time to finally open that ZZ Top LP boxset I been saving.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #17,048 of 23,493
It's oldguyradiola, they just changed the username. Didn't change the name of the store...

They've been saying they're closing down for the past year....

Good catch! Coming from him, I wouldn't bid on them at $1 a piece.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #17,049 of 23,493
That is the seller who threatened to call the tube sellers association of America on me, think it was due to his Amperex 6922 being advertised as Holland's, but had the Mullard small halo getter. Think the ad mentioned Mullard at least 2 times in the listing. He would not show me a pic of the factory code. I'd stay away from that seller.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #17,050 of 23,493
Sideways diamond with the tube type inside it, like this: (not to be confused with the diamond shaped OTK or military stamp. It will have the tube type inside.

6p3s_foton.jpg

Good to know. Thanks! I have 4 on the way from the same seller OldSkool bought from. Shipped on the 9th, so expecting them next week sometime.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #17,051 of 23,493
That is the seller who threatened to call the tube sellers association of America on me, think it was due to his Amperex 6922 being advertised as Holland's, but had the Mullard small halo getter. Think the ad mentioned Mullard at least 2 times in the listing. He would not show me a pic of the factory code. I'd stay away from that seller.

There have been several threads at Audio Asylum about him, and none of them flattering. 'Caveat emptor' fits nicely in his case.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #17,052 of 23,493
Wow folks, count me as a believer. I ordered the Tung-Sol 2c51 5670 and the adapters based on some recommendations early on in this thread. I was skeptical because I didn't believe tubes would make such a difference. Just got my adapters today and plugged them in and just WOW. This sounds like a completely different listening experience. The bass has serious thump and definition, the sub bass is much more present, the whole soundscape is just bigger, everything just meshes and the treble has much more sparkle without becoming sibilant. And everything just sounds BIGGER

This is awesome

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #17,053 of 23,493
Wow folks, count me as a believer. I ordered the Tung-Sol 2c51 5670 and the adapters based on some recommendations early on in this thread. I was skeptical because I didn't believe tubes would make such a difference. Just got my adapters today and plugged them in and just WOW. This sounds like a completely different listening experience. The bass has serious thump and definition, the sub bass is much more present, the whole soundscape is just bigger, everything just meshes and the treble has much more sparkle without becoming sibilant. And everything just sounds BIGGER

This is awesome

Yeah that was my first take on the TS's...B I G sound. And highly detailed. And incredible midrange. And killer bass. The list goes on and on. Not bad for $36.

And my Fotons are still cooking. Getting a little better everyday. Only have about 20-25 hours on them. I gave up too early on WE's my first time around. I'm going to give
the Fotons a fair shake. And, no JC, they won't blow up your WA2. Use the 2c51 adapters as noted earlier. Be very interested in your take. We pretty much have the same rigs except for DAC's...I think. You using HD800's? Can't remember.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #17,054 of 23,493
Ladies, ladies, you do know the Russkies still stick tubes in some of their aircraft, right? I think a little Ukraine PS/USPS rough ride is like basic training in tube boot camp.

That said, I was a little surprised to pick up a pair from Serbia in a very basic padded envelope. Tubes were inserted in paper towel roll type cardboard, wrapped in dense foam, wrapped in bubble wrap, with a packing tape icing. The very smudgeable print was perfect and they taste sound mighty fine.

I highly recommend tube boot camp for any troublesome tubes you have. Whip 'em into shape in no time.

re: the 60s Fotons, all eight of mine are May 1966. That dude must have a shed full.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #17,055 of 23,493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back