Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #16,982 of 23,493
Sir, the rabbit hole goes deep. This place is basically a collection of tube addicts and tube anynomous rejects.

I even think @TK16 was even reported to the tube union alliance for questioning a sale on eBay.

I spoke to our union rep. TK has attained “dead man walking” status.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #16,983 of 23,493
I would love to see a picture of youalls Saturday night tube rolling adventures. I know mine starts out nice a neat with only 2 or 3 sets of tubes taken out, but by the end Schiit is just EVERYWHERE!!!! I have a picture but honestly it's quite embarrassing. Lol

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #16,984 of 23,493
I would love to see a picture of youalls Saturday night tube rolling adventures. I know mine starts out nice a neat with only 2 or 3 sets of tubes taken out, but by the end Schiit is just EVERYWHERE!!!! I have a picture but honestly it's quite embarrassing. Lol

That’s what I do on my weekends after a few chores and activities. Pour a glass of whiskey, settle in, and start to tube roll. I just like to hear the differences between tubes.

The worse part is when I had a bit too much of the good stuff, wake up the next morning, and my desk reminds me of kids leaving their box of legos out. Tubes everywhere.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #16,985 of 23,493
That’s what I do on my weekends after a few chores and activities. Pour a glass of whiskey, settle in, and start to tube roll. I just like to hear the differences between tubes.

The worse part is when I had a bit too much of the good stuff, wake up the next morning, and my desk reminds me of kids leaving their box of legos out. Tubes everywhere.
Do you wear a smoking jacket?

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #16,986 of 23,493
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #16,987 of 23,493

Careful with drinking and rolling tubes bro! Oh no need to remind ya, I remember everything!

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #16,988 of 23,493
Depends how far from each other they are, but you should be able to tell over a few songs. The glow of the triodes might help too. Not always the case, but combined with listening might help you know which are which. If all else fails, try the different combinations with the same set of songs, and if you can't tell the difference at the end of it, then it doesn't matter which are which. They're either close enough, or the amp is doing a bloody good job of auto-biasing.
Thanks bro or mate since you said "bloody".
I will mix and match the 4 tubes, funny you mentioned glow, my favorite pair of WE's has 1 tube that has less glow out of all the tubes I tried. It is a 47 I think, it is used but tested good according to the seller. The 49 I bought new and untested glows like the rest of them WE's. Damn bright.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #16,989 of 23,493
Careful with drinking and rolling tubes bro! Oh no need to remind ya, I remember everything!

That poor pinched waist Amperex deserved better. :pensive:

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #16,990 of 23,493

I have to get through listening to all these first, then I'll clean up. Wait...I don't have a Lyr. What am I doing here? Who are you guys? I know I got off at the Vali stop....:sweat:

2a8re3r.jpg

16kba0m.jpg

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #16,991 of 23,493
Thanks bro or mate since you said "bloody".
I will mix and match the 4 tubes, funny you mentioned glow, my favorite pair of WE's has 1 tube that has less glow out of all the tubes I tried. It is a 47 I think, it is used but tested good according to the seller. The 49 I bought new and untested glows like the rest of them WE's. Damn bright.

@Wes S I should note that the plate current readings are usually more reflective of the glow strength rather than gm reading.

It's definitely not a reliable indicator on it's own, but if you're on the fence about a difference and you have the test results and there's a difference in the glow too, then it might confirm your suspicion of which is which. Bear in mind the glow on both triodes in the tube, not just one of them.

I have a number of tubes where the glow strength matches the plate current strength on one of my testers, I have one pair where the first triode is strong and the second triode weak, and vice versa on another tube, and the glow on each triode correlate, and similarly I have a good few perfect match tubes across all triodes where the glow is equal, but I do have some random ones where they don't seem to correlate.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #16,992 of 23,493
Thanks for the info AuditoryCanvas!

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #16,993 of 23,493
I have to get through listening to all these first, then I'll clean up. Wait...I don't have a Lyr. What am I doing here? Who are you guys? I know I got off at the Vali stop....:sweat:

2a8re3r.jpg

16kba0m.jpg

I just like the Ei box so prominently displayed. Ajde!! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back