Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #16,292 of 23,493
Any tube recommendations for hd800S around ~100 $?

The guys are on to something here when they recommend the WE 396As. Should be able to buy a pair for around $100 by you’ll need a 5670 to E88CC adapter. They’re very tube sounding, slightly rolled off top end (which I think pairs well with the more airy top end of the HD800s) and are detailed. Possibly warmer tubes like the Mullard ECC88s?

I'll refer to the more knowledgeable head-fiers here.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #16,293 of 23,493
Sounds like Rangy is looking to upgrade the lab to a Yggy...

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #16,295 of 23,493
You know I'm buying it before I've decided to buy it...haha. I thought @ThurstonX was the community prophet. Did he pass the crown?

I'll end up getting it and then have severe buyers remorse....I've tried all logic, common sense, and talking myself out of it, and here I am....

As sure as the Sun rises in the East, because...
You know you want it, and really, you do need it.
Simple math, 1 + 1 = YGGY.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #16,297 of 23,493
I went with the Gumby instead and that let me me buy 2 sets of cans, Moon Audio cables and some LM Ericsson tubes. Almost bought the Yggy, would of pissed if I got the dac and find out a week later there was an upgrade for it.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #16,298 of 23,493
I went with the Gumby instead and that let me me buy 2 sets of cans, Moon Audio cables and some LM Ericsson tubes. Almost bought the Yggy, would of pissed if I got the dac and find out a week later there was an upgrade for it.

Easy fella. :)
Love the Gumby, but you know we are both Yggy wannabees.
But when we do get the Yggy, we will have the Gumby in our... ahem, lesser system.
Pffft, and that's way better.

JKG, Enjoy The Music!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #16,299 of 23,493

Yeah, I'm looking at a used gen 3 usb one that's not far off the price of a Gumby. I'm sure they would have honored the upgrade if anyone bought a new one so close to the upgrade announce. If I get it, I'll upgrade the usb 5 board by ordering it for $100 and fitting it myself, and then lust after the analog 2 upgrade for a while.

Buying new here would mean I'd have to pay CA tax, nearly 10%, so used makes a lot more sense to me. albeit I forgo the 5 year warranty as it's not transferable.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #16,301 of 23,493
Love my Gumby.
Man, I'm so look broke I can't even afford tubes for aaaalong time.

Upgrade is off my list...maybe put usb into bimby. That cheap way to upgrade.

Lol, I'm going insane..

I think you can buy the USB Gen 5 upgrade and install it yourself to save money. It’s a “Perform at your own risk” and may invalidate your warranty but dammit if doesn’t make it sound that much better.

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #16,302 of 23,493
Yeah, I'm looking at a used gen 3 usb one that's not far off the price of a Gumby. I'm sure they would have honored the upgrade if anyone bought a new one so close to the upgrade announce. If I get it, I'll upgrade the usb 5 board by ordering it for $100 and fitting it myself, and then lust after the analog 2 upgrade for a while.

Buying new here would mean I'd have to pay CA tax, nearly 10%, so used makes a lot more sense to me. albeit I forgo the 5 year warranty as it's not transferable.
He's gettin' Yggy with it. Yo. I keep telling him he'd be better off buying an old Lyr 1 so he can roll 6SN7s at the very least, but NOOOOOOO, gotta go be all fancy 'n' schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back