Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 27, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #11,446 of 23,493
Hmm. I wonder if I should take my list and listen to tubes in a certain order. Maybe this would work:

1. Amperex 6922 PQ, USA, white label, shield, gold pins NOS

2. Amperex 6DJ8, Heerlen, Orange globe logo shield steel pins, NOS

3. Valvo Philips E88CC, Heerlen, 7L4 Red Print D-Getter, 1959 Used but near new

4. GEC Amperex PCC88, Heerlen, D-Getter Pinched Waist, 1957 or 1958 Used but near new

5. Siemens Halske E188CC, Munich, Gray Plates O-Getter, NOS

6. Telefunken CCa, Ulm, 1960, NOS

7. Siemens Halske CCa, Munich, Gray Plates, 1959, NOS

8. Reflector 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields Nickel Pins, Early ’75  (Holy Grail) NOS

That depends on what you prefer, I don't care much for USA or Russian tubes, but you may dig em. I prefer Siemens CCa and Pinched Waists in my amp. 75 Reflektors were to forward sounding, liked the 74s better. All depends on your tastes.
I got a bunch of Mullards, I prefer my 68 Brimar CV2492 to my Mullards. I would link here what you plan on buying first lots of knowledgeable people here.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #11,447 of 23,493
Do you guys do your tube evaluations with just headphones are do you also use speakers? I will spend as much or more time listening to my music through speakers than I will listening to my headphones. Do speakers make it harder to detect the differences in tubes? In other words, it is easier to listen critically with headphones? 

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #11,448 of 23,493
  Do you guys do your tube evaluations with just headphones are do you also use speakers? I will spend as much or more time listening to my music through speakers than I will listening to my headphones. Do speakers make it harder to detect the differences in tubes? In other words, it is easier to listen critically with headphones? 

​I have to say that the majority of posters listen to headphones. They roll their tubes to match the headphones they currently listen to. I have a dedicated listening room, so I listen to speakers the majority of time. The sound signatures between different tube pairs is the same w/ speakers as it is w/ headphones.

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #11,449 of 23,493

​I have to say that the majority of posters listen to headphones. They roll their tubes to match the headphones they currently listen to. I have a dedicated listening room, so I listen to speakers the majority of time. The sound signatures between different tube pairs is the same w/ speakers as it is w/ headphones.

That's good to know. Now that I have about 20 hours on my HD 650 headphones, I will say that it does seem to be a bit easier to pick out specific details in the music. This should make it easier evaluate how tubes affect the music. This is all new to me so it will trial by fire. Ultimately, I know that I need to find what sounds best to me because music is more than the sum of its parts! What's important is how it makes you feel and not how technically perfect it is.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #11,450 of 23,493
I am actually glad that I am starting my tube rolling journey with the Vali 2. This makes it a lot cheaper to figure out what tube sound I really like. Then, when I inevitably upgrade to a Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2, I won't be experimenting as much with two tube sets.

I wonder if I will like the Heerlen sound or the Munich and Ulm sound better. I can't wait!

My favorite genre is Classic Rock. Do you folks have some favorite songs in that genre that are particularly suited for evaluating tubes?

I would these songs might be good:

Riders on the Storm - The Doors
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Sunshine Superman - Donovan
People are People - Depeche Mode
Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan

Others?

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #11,451 of 23,493
I am actually glad that I am starting my tube rolling journey with the Vali 2. This makes it a lot cheaper to figure out what tube sound I really like. Then, when I inevitably upgrade to a Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2, I won't be experimenting as much with two tube sets.

I wonder if I will like the Heerlen sound or the Munich and Ulm sound better. I can't wait!

My favorite genre is Classic Rock. Do you folks have some favorite songs in that genre that are particularly suited for evaluating tubes?

I would these songs might be good:

Riders on the Storm - The Doors
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Sunshine Superman - Donovan
People are People - Depeche Mode
Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan

Others?
Peter gabriel's red rain always gets a run when i'm listening to gear. And then sledgehammer chimes in too.

But there is a difference between the original version and the remastered (25 year anniversary). The remastered is a little (quite noticeable to me) smoother

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #11,452 of 23,493
Aerosmith: Walk This Way
Beatles: Revolution and Come Together
Deep Purple: Maybe I`m a Leo and Space Truckin
Eagles: Already Gone, James Dean and The Disco Strangler
Iron Maiden: Phantom of the Opera and Prodigal Son
Joe Walsh: Life`s Been Good
Led Zeppelin II album
Rush: Lakeside Park, Making Memories, YYZ, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, All vintage Rush
The Who: Whose Next album
Yes: Owner of a Lonely Heart, Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround

That is pretty much what I start with every new tube roll.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #11,454 of 23,493
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-E88CC-Valvo-Heerlen-red-series-7L3-codes-CCa-6922-6DJ8-red-label-/142253248734?hash=item211ef450de:g:JwUAAOSwjDZYg3T-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-E88CC-Valvo-Hamburg-D-getter-7L0-code-CCa-6922-6DJ8-red-label-/142253198055?hash=item211ef38ae7:g:hJIAAOSwNnRYg3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-E88CC-Valvo-Heerlen-D-getter-pinched-waist-7L3-CCa-6922-6DJ8-red-label-/142253187279
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-E88CC-CCa-Telefunken-ULM-same-codes-West-Germany-6922-6DJ8-/142253206219
Auctions ending in less than 2 hours.

Heerlen CCa less than 24 hours.Single. 1 Bid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-tube-Valvo-CCa-E88CC-6922-71-32-/112278447053
Quote:
  Nice list!

Thanks!

Interested in hearing your Siemens E188CC vs Siemens CCa thoughts, the E188CC was my favorite German tube until I got the CCa. Now I prefer the CCa. The E188CC in itself is a great tube, but not in comparison to the CCa IMO. Also posts your thoughts about the Telefunken CCa if you could. The best Telefunken I got is the E188CC.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #11,455 of 23,493
You are not helping me stop buying tubes!!!

The Valvo Heerleen CCa is used...and a little triode imbalanced at 80%/90%.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #11,456 of 23,493
  Interested in hearing your Siemens E188CC vs Siemens CCa thoughts, the E188CC was my favorite German tube until I got the CCa. Now I prefer the CCa. The E188CC in itself is a great tube, but not in comparison to the CCa IMO. Also posts your thoughts about the Telefunken CCa if you could. The best Telefunken I got is the E188CC.

I am curious as well and will post my perceptions. Based on what I have been reading about the German and Heerlen tubes, my headphones, and my speakers, I suspect I am going to prefer the "German" sound to what I will get with the Dutch (Heerlen) tubes. But who knows! I sure hope I can tell the difference!

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #11,457 of 23,493
I am curious as well and will post my perceptions. Based on what I have been reading about the German and Heerlen tubes, my headphones, and my speakers, I suspect I am going to prefer the "German" sound to what I will get with the Dutch (Heerlen) tubes. But who knows! I sure hope I can tell the difference!
You will tell the difference: when turned up loud the holland tubes put hairs on your chest, the german tubes put hairs in your ears

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #11,459 of 23,493
  5 new early 60`s Philips Miniwatt auction. Has a reserve on it though. $40 shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122329784951

Heh, maybe I'm easily amused but the title on that tube auction page is 'Hole 48 Earrings Ear Studs Jewelry Display Rack Metal Stand Holder Showcase UL | Jewelry & Watches, Jewelry Boxes & Organizers, Jewelry Holders & Organizers | eBay!'
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back