Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #14,386 of 23,493
Grammpa was mostly at my expense. 3 of 4 broke . Sounded great but lasted a week. One of those was a sweet rca square getter two were TS. All burned up in the lyr none in the dac. All broken glass introduced oxygen and burned the plating off of the tube.

My only pair is near 200 hrs, flawless so far, somebody who shall remain nameless, did a drunken tube roll and stepped on 1 tube of my traded grampa set. The curse is real. Exorcise those grampa`s before use. Holy water, prayer the whole nine yards!

The Curse LIVES !!!

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #14,387 of 23,493
Ok, here comes a silly question that I'm 99.9% sure I know the answer, but I'm such a rook with tubes, I'm gonna ask anyway.
I have tubes that aren't compatible with the LYR2. I have the adapter and I have socket savers.
I'm sure you do this but do you leave the socket savers in place, place the adapter in the socket saves then the tubes into the adapter? Correct?
Please just make me feel better and confirm this pretty obvious decision.

But now I see the tubes aren't firing up. They're cold, no glow, nothing. The amp is on but no HP's are inputted. What's up with this?

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #14,392 of 23,493
It's all good. I got lucky.
This is what needs to happen. Leave matches, sharp objects, anything that could harm me or anyone else away from me because I could do some major damage.
2 boneheaded mistakes in a matter of a week.
If you knew me, you'd know I'm a really intelligent guy. But from all the crap I'm pulling, you'd never know.
Maybe I should stick with a close and play.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #14,394 of 23,493
Yeah, everything's good. I feel like a complete fool on display for everyone's amusement. LOL. I deserve the full brunt of it so go for it guys!
*As I hide in shame*

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #14,398 of 23,493
Funny stuff, happens to all of us. Not as bad as this but .....I kid

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #14,400 of 23,493
Okay, I took out the "grandpas" Tung-Sol 2C51 tubes after 100 hours and replaced them with my first pair of WE396A tubes. I am MUCH happier now. These and the JW variant are the best tubes I have ever heard in my MJ2...bar none!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back