Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 14, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #13,906 of 23,493
You like? Promise. Even better after 60 hours... Plus they look so good. : )
Right out the damn gate they were great. Two hours in and sill groovin' :) Thanks for the tip and the kick in the pants, Bob :beerchug:

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #13,908 of 23,493
Finally, my converter came in today. So I started to burn my Tung Sol....my first impression about Tung Sol
is that It gives SOOOO much head space!!

I'll let it burn for long time...

OH btw, this pair is also from grammpa!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #13,909 of 23,493
I found another tube from the 5670's that hasn't been mentioned here that I think should be on peoples' radars - CBS/Hytron 2C51. I was snooping around some old forum threads, saw these mentioned in the same sentence as the Bendix 2C51, WE 396a, and LM Ericcson 2C51's as being top tier performers. I picked up a pair I found on Ebay (link), early impressions are very, very good, I can post some quick impressions after burn in. Apparently Hytron was acquired by CBS at some point, so they can be branded either way. Earlier models with two supports on the getter are supposedly better than those with a single support rod.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #13,910 of 23,493
Finally, my converter came in today. So I started to burn my Tung Sol....my first impression about Tung Sol
is that It gives SOOOO much head space!!

I'll let it burn for long time...

OH btw, this pair is also from grammpa!

Congratulations, you have managed to snare the only functioning and non-possessed pair. I kid. Hey, welcome to tomorrow. It's a fun ride getting to know the 2C51's...and now I'm learning there are
other variants to explore. Seemingly exceptional stuff everywhere you look. Warning: avoid the temptation to adopt a kitten in the next week or two. I'd say especially if you've always hated cats up till today.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #13,911 of 23,493
I found another tube from the 5670's that hasn't been mentioned here that I think should be on peoples' radars - CBS/Hytron 2C51. I was snooping around some old forum threads, saw these mentioned in the same sentence as the Bendix 2C51, WE 396a, and LM Ericcson 2C51's as being top tier performers. I picked up a pair I found on Ebay (link), early impressions are very, very good, I can post some quick impressions after burn in. Apparently Hytron was acquired by CBS at some point, so they can be branded either way. Earlier models with two supports on the getter are supposedly better than those with a single support rod.

Interesting. The seller I managed to snag my Bendix pairs from was really trying to push the CBS's. Said they were his favorite...said they were kind of a Bendix/TS hybrid sound. I haven't sprung myself...but now that you're bringing them up again. Hmmmm. Sometimes I hate loving tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #13,913 of 23,493
Anyone have any tips on cleaning green corrosion off of tube pins?
91% (or stronger) isopropyl alcohol on a wooden shafted cotton swab. Scrub until the swab is no longer discolored. Or try the red soaking DeoxIT stuff from the Vacuum Tube Survival Kit. The kit is great mostly for the DeoxIT Gold.

You could also try scraping them with a pen knife, steel wool, or a pencil eraser. Search this thread, the original Lyr rolling thread, and the Net in general. Different strokes for different folks.

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #13,914 of 23,493
Well..... getting over my laziness to play the burn in game again, and being completely enthralled with the TS . I popped in my tesla pw 6cc42(that's been in its original package since I bought it weeks ago) over night to give it some hours before having a listen. Ran through 3 songs this morning and so far, this tube sounds very similar to the bendix. There's a little more weight than the bendix, but it has a dry hardness to the sound so far. A very V shaped sound at this point. Very spacious tube just like the others. Hopefully the treble will tame itself down, and the midrange starts to show itself.
I'm gonna let it cook while at work today and report back. There's around 9 hours on the tube, I'll be around 20 or so when I get home.

Also have a Raytheon 5670 black plate tube to check out that came with my tesla. @Skylab seem to like this tube a lot , in some of the things I've read on these variants.

Still waiting on my 6c8g adapter to get here. I'm really pumped about rolling these now after the prophets post. Lol

Still have the Ruskies, CBS hytron from mike to mess with as well.

So many tubes, so little time.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #13,915 of 23,493
For those interested in the 6C8G discussion, this is the 300mA heater version of the 6F8G, which is 600mA.
So 6C8G can be used in Lyr2, 6F8G only in Lyr1. These predated the 6SN7.
I have only tried, and recommend, the 1943 Ken Rad. Have no experience with other dates or brands.
Has 6C8G etch on the glass and military VT designation on the base, in original military box.
At the moment, about $35 a pair.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #13,916 of 23,493
Congratulations, you have managed to snare the only functioning and non-possessed pair. I kid. Hey, welcome to tomorrow. It's a fun ride getting to know the 2C51's...and now I'm learning there are
other variants to explore. Seemingly exceptional stuff everywhere you look. Warning: avoid the temptation to adopt a kitten in the next week or two. I'd say especially if you've always hated cats up till today.
Some holy water and reading some bible verses and a crucifix and some sort of black smoke came out of my grampa TS, not sure where it went though. Could of went in 1 of my other sets of tubes.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #13,917 of 23,493
For those interested in the 6C8G discussion, this is the 300mA heater version of the 6F8G, which is 600mA.
So 6C8G can be used in Lyr2, 6F8G only in Lyr1. These predated the 6SN7.
I have only tried, and recommend, the 1943 Ken Rad. Have no experience with other dates or brands.
Has 6C8G etch on the glass and military VT designation on the base, in original military box.
At the moment, about $35 a pair.
Just to clarify, the 6C8G can be rolled in the Lyr 1 as well.

Funny thing about those "1943" Ken-Rads. The US Army/Navy (so JAN, I reckon) contract printed on the boxes reads in part: "ACCEPTED NOVEMBER 1943 SC961A", but the date code is N4, where N = February (they used A-L, then M-Z, omitting O and Q, for the months), and 4 = 1944. If the tubes I got really came in those boxes, I'm guessing the US military approved the order in Nov. '43, and the tubes were finally produced in Feb. '44. I think manufacturing in the US was kinda busy around that time.

Not much available on how that date code system works: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=215790

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #13,918 of 23,493
Just to clarify, the 6C8G can be rolled in the Lyr 1 as well.

Funny thing about those "1943" Ken-Rads. The US Army/Navy (so JAN, I reckon) contract printed on the boxes reads in part: "ACCEPTED NOVEMBER 1943 SC961A", but the date code is N4, where N = February (they used A-L, then M-Z, omitting O and Q, for the months), and 4 = 1944. If the tubes I got really came in those boxes, I'm guessing the US military approved the order in Nov. '43, and the tubes were finally produced in Feb. '44. I think manufacturing in the US was kinda busy around that time.

Not much available on how that date code system works: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=215790

Thanks for the additional info, Tony. My tubes are both N4 and P4.
If it's the box with the additional label from the Canadian military supply depot, it's the same as my boxes, and those are legit.
I think you're right with the box date being the contract approval date. Also tube base date can be different from the actual manufacture date of the tube. I have many 6SN7 tubes with different glass etch date and base label date, label date typically one year later than glass etch. However, no etch date on the exterior glass with these, there is code on the inside glass base.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #13,919 of 23,493
Thanks for the additional info, Tony. My tubes are both N4 and P4.
If it's the box with the additional label from the Canadian military supply depot, it's the same as my boxes, and those are legit.
I think you're right with the box date being the contract approval date. Also tube base date can be different from the actual manufacture date of the tube. I have many 6SN7 tubes with different glass etch date and base label date, label date typically one year later than glass etch. However, no etch date on the exterior glass with these, there is code on the inside glass base.
Yep, the same. I was just pointing out the discrepancy between box and tube. No question they're legit. WTH would make fake 6C8Gs?? :wink:

Interesting some manufacturers marked different elements of a tube. Gotta go with the most recent date, of course. It's like archaeology: "Schiit!! I just found a 3,000-year-old <insert fav artifact here>!!!" Only to discover a 200-year-old piece of trash in the same layer. D'oh! Yep, it could be a 3,000-year-old whatever, but what you're digging up is a 200-year-old site.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #13,920 of 23,493
Well..... getting over my laziness to play the burn in game again, and being completely enthralled with the TS . I popped in my tesla pw 6cc42(that's been in its original package since I bought it weeks ago) over night to give it some hours before having a listen. Ran through 3 songs this morning and so far, this tube sounds very similar to the bendix. There's a little more weight than the bendix, but it has a dry hardness to the sound so far. A very V shaped sound at this point. Very spacious tube just like the others. Hopefully the treble will tame itself down, and the midrange starts to show itself.
I'm gonna let it cook while at work today and report back. There's around 9 hours on the tube, I'll be around 20 or so when I get home.

Also have a Raytheon 5670 black plate tube to check out that came with my tesla. @Skylab seem to like this tube a lot , in some of the things I've read on these variants.

Still waiting on my 6c8g adapter to get here. I'm really pumped about rolling these now after the prophets post. Lol

Still have the Ruskies, CBS hytron from mike to mess with as well.

So many tubes, so little time.
Has the high end tamed a bit with a few hours on it? Was maybe looking to buy a pair maybe.

Single WE horizontal print 396A, $45
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Ele...be-Strong-Hickok-Tests-Lot-of-1-/142507388485

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back