Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #22,771 of 23,493
Lookie what I got.
I know this is a LYR3 but we had some discussion earlier about these adapters with a riser base to eliminate a socket saver to fit in a Schiit Amp. Damn these are nice and incredibly easy to use. Now I can roll in all my 2C51/E88cc, etc tubes in the L3 along with my MJ2. Very cool indeed.
Of course the tube in the 1st pick has the adapter for the 2C51 and the like. It’s pretty cool having all this versatility with this amp.
He does good work gents and he’s reasonable. Great guy too

Sweet!!! You didn't mention specifically....did that come from @Deyan ? If so, I concur....he does really nice work and is very accommodating with specific configuration requests..

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #22,773 of 23,493
On the topic of things that go in tube sockets that aren't tubes, I seem to be unable to get my socket savers out of my Lyr 2, and the position of my monitor on my new desk keeps bumping the tall tubes with the savers in. How do I get these dang things out?? They are stuck in there like wisdom teeth.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #22,774 of 23,493
On the topic of things that go in tube sockets that aren't tubes, I seem to be unable to get my socket savers out of my Lyr 2, and the position of my monitor on my new desk keeps bumping the tall tubes with the savers in. How do I get these dang things out?? They are stuck in there like wisdom teeth.
Long nosed pliers or hemostats work.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #22,775 of 23,493
The main reason I will never use one. :wink:

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #22,777 of 23,493
Long nosed pliers or hemostats work.

And don't forget that even when you turn off the power, those big capacitors can still give you an unpleasant jolt. So use insulated pliers and work with one hand behind your back.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #22,778 of 23,493

I use "Long Wire Twist Tie".

1. Form loop at end of wire twist tie, about the circumference of socket saver.
2. Remove vacuum tube.
3. Slide loop at end of twist tie over socket saver.
4. Gently pull up wire (looped around socket saver) "Word of the day SLOWLY"

I have used this technique to remove socket savers from Schiit tube equipment many times.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #22,779 of 23,493
I've always had luck just placing a Russian tune in the socket saver, and wiggling it out. The Ruskies usually seem to have a slightly tighter fit.

Or, ff you have an old Russian tube that is dead or disposable, you can slightly bend the pins outwards so they sit really tight in the saver, and then wiggle out.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #22,780 of 23,493
I couldn’t use a Schiit amp without socket savers.
Most people won't. I just don't roll enough to justify the hassle, and extra crap in my chain. I find a tube I like and leave it in there for months.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #22,781 of 23,493
Most people won't. I just don't roll enough to justify the hassle, and extra crap in my chain. I find a tube I like and leave it in there for months.

Same here. I don't find the tubes hard to pull out and I prefer them to sit low anyway.

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #22,782 of 23,493
Why even take out the SS unless it goes bad which none of mine have? You guys have issues with them going bad? It's all good as it's preference anyway. Personally I roll quite a bit as that's part of the fun.
Wes, it "seems" like you roll a lot when I read your posts. LOL.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #22,783 of 23,493
Why even take out the SS unless it goes bad which none of mine have? You guys have issues with them going bad? It's all good as it's preference anyway. Personally I roll quite a bit as that's part of the fun.
Wes, it "seems" like you roll a lot when I read your posts. LOL.
It might seem like that, but I really don't. I had a little spurt where I rolled a few, to see if the grass was greener on the other side. :wink: I also consider a lot, as in rolling a different tube every couple days or weeks. I still don't get the socket saver thing, as I have never heard of a socket getting worn out, but I know most like them.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #22,784 of 23,493
It might seem like that, but I really don't. I had a little spurt where I rolled a few, to see if the grass was greener on the other side. :wink: I also consider a lot, as in rolling a different tube every couple days or weeks. I still don't get the socket saver thing, as I have never heard of a socket getting worn out, but I know most like them.
Understood bro! Happy non rolling??

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #22,785 of 23,493
Understood bro! Happy non rolling??
Sorry for coming off, as a jerk! I just really don't like ss, as you can tell. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back