1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. TK16
    Lyr, Lyr 2, MJ2, Vali 2, think the Valhalla as well. Not 100% sure.

2. TK16
    The Siemens CCa and E88CC, E188CC were wonderful on my Lyr 2, but with the MJ2 bad synergy there. Sold them off. Too lean sounding.

bcowen and G0rt like this.
  3. G0rt
    Cool, thanks.

MJ2 is a different beast, definitely. Some old RCA 6CG7 in my stash that were noisy and nasty in MJ2 work fine in my Vali2, for example.

4. TK16
    koover likes this.
  5. jb77
    Hi @Tacanacy
    My amp is a Mjolnir 2 as I do not have a Lyr, however @Ripper2860 is correct as these are commonly used tubes in the Lyr 2

Tacanacy likes this.
  6. koover
    That's just too funny. I wonder how many people looked at this and truly thought it was an empty box where he did a fat finger for open box in the title. LOL. I thought so for a bit until I actually looked at it more closely.

TK16 likes this.
  7. TK16
    In case your interested.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...28GB-Wi-Fi-10-5-in-Mountain-Gray/202791477010
    Or I can sell you my box for $200, a steal compared to empty boxes on Ebay.

8. bcowen
    I've never much cared for Siemens tubes of any variety. Lean, analytical, cold, sterile...but that's just my personal opinion based on my personal preferences. Detailed, dynamic, extended? Yup, and in spades. But the lack of body and warmth overshadowed those good qualities too much for me. Perhaps in a component that's too warm or syrupy they might be the ticket, but not so much in an amp that's relatively neutral.

TK16, Wes S and billerb1 like this.
  9. Wes S
    After spending last week with some Siemens 6dj8 from the late 50's, in my LP, I completely concur. They are not for me either. The transparency was through the roof, but I got fatigued real quick. After my week off, and tube rolling quite a bit, I have settled on some Mullard CV2492 wrinkle glass 7L1 tubes, and the mids are to die for. I know I like it warm, wide, and thick, and the Mullards don't disappoint.

I actually am digging the Mullards so much, I need a backup pair, and I am kicking myself for not picking those up from TK16, a while back. Anyone have a pair of Mullard CV2492/E88CC, 7L1 or 7L0, from Mitcham, they would like to sell?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    bcowen and TK16 like this.
  10. kolkoo
    1961+ Wrinkled 7L1 Milky ring on top Mitchams
    and
    1958-1960 - 7L0 Wrinkled Milky ring on top Mitchams are amazeballs.

I've been advocating these a while back.

bcowen, TK16 and Wes S like this.
  11. Ripper2860
    So many tubes. So little time. So little money!! :D

motberg, bcowen, jb77 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Wes S
    They sure are!!!:o2smile: I have a pair of 62' Wrinkled 7L1 Milky ring on top Mitchams, and they have the some of, if not, the best mids I have heard. I would love to find a pair of 7L0, but would be fine with another pair of 7L1, from Mitcham.

TK16 likes this.
  13. Wes S
    I hear that!

bcowen likes this.
  14. TK16
    The Siemens E88CC line is def system dependant, in my DAC they were better than the MJ2, not enough of an improvement to keep them. Worst tubes I ever heard in my DAC or amps was the dimple getter Mullard Mitcham E188CC. Loved them so much I gave them away here couple years ago or more here for free. If you see these tubes for sale at Brent`s website pick them up for $300+ you won`t be dissappointed.

Edit: Due to being sanctioned and/or military aide being withheld by someone with the initials "DT" , am forced to retract my above statement as the country of origin on those dimple getter E188CC was offended and hurt relations between the 2 countries. Even seen a drone do a flyby looking out my window.

bcowen, G0rt and Wes S like this.
  15. bcowen
    Just wait until the doorbell rings and there's 2 guys in black suits standing on your porch. But it was good to know you, and fun while it lasted. :slight_smile:

TK16 likes this.