1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. mattrudy80
    Hey @AuditoryCanvas ,
    I just got around to taking a look at my '59 6N3P Fotons that I believe you sold to DrHamp. Maybe you or @TK16 could answerswer this:
    One has a dual post getter with a silver shield and the other has a single post getter with a gray shield. In your opinion is there any difference in sound signature between the two? TIA.

bcowen and TK16 like this.
  2. TK16
    Provide some pics. Does the getter flash cover around 35% of the tube? Can you see the actual getter. 3x mica tubes, you cannot see the getter.
    I got a couple pics of the Reflektor 6N3P 58 3x mica. Pics taken with a tablet so not exactly good.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  3. mattrudy80
    I can try and get some pictures with better lighting, but here's what I got, 2 mica:

P1010001.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010005.JPG

bcowen likes this.
  4. TK16
    Not sure if I sold him those, I got all my Foton's. I know I sold 2x mica and 3x mica. Do you have pic of the boxes? Might show my handwriting if they are the same box.

bcowen and mattrudy80 like this.
  5. mattrudy80
    I think he had them listed as tested by AC...
    20190902_135002.jpg

bcowen likes this.
  6. TK16
    There any handwriting on the box? Maybe under the sticker? If they are from me they got a couple hundred hours use, no issues with sound.

bcowen likes this.
  7. mattrudy80
    Thanks! I think I'll just go ahead and try them. I was concerned about differing sound signatures between the two as the test results printed on the boxes look good. :)

bcowen likes this.
  8. TK16
    TBH I don't remember ever seeing silver shield 6N3P.

bcowen and mattrudy80 like this.
  9. mattrudy80
    Me too. The pairs I have from the 60s are all gray I believe.

bcowen likes this.
  10. mattrudy80
    Whoa, 1500 pages. Lol.

bcowen likes this.
  11. bcowen
    Ahh....then they truly are a direct sub for a 6DJ8. :relaxed:

Seriously, I prefer the sound of a good 6DJ8 over its 6922 brethren. But 6DJ8's seem to have a much higher incidence rate of microphony and/or noise. Trick is finding quiet ones that don't continue playing after the music stops...

Wes S and TK16 like this.
  12. TK16
    Anything is a direct substitution as long as you use an adapter. I classify tubes that cannot be used either by direct substitution or with an adapter. Post is full of contradictions so take with a grain of salt.

bcowen likes this.
  13. AuditoryCanvas
    Hi everyone. I've decided to sell my Hickok 539c.Pics coming soon.

Mint condition inside and out, calibrated, re-capped and modified for easier future calibration.

It has a rebuilt main meter - original housing and faceplate, with new simpson internals, fully calibrated (purchased from Roger kennedy), that will probably outlive the tester. As you may know, the meters on these old testers are a weak point, and extremely hard to get hold of, there's usually a 6 month waiting list for the rebuilds.

Also has 3 digital meters in an addon board that provide AC volts, Plate current, and bias voltage. The analog AC and bias meters still work perfectly, but the digital ones make it easier to get accurate settings and readings.

Also come with a spare chart roll and chart roll housing/mechanism, a spare AC pot, and dual triode switch adapters so you can test both sides of a dual triode tube without changing settings like on the 752.

PM me if you're interested.

bcowen and Wes S like this.
  14. mattrudy80
    Wow! The WE JW2C51 still hold up. What an awesome tube. :darthsmile:

bcowen likes this.
  15. Tacanacy
    For those who have rolled tubes a lot, what do you think are some of the best tubes to get that are available to buy today?
    I've been using Genalex E88CC/6922 Gold Lions, but they've become noisy, so I presume they're dying. I've read that the 6922/7308/E88CC/E188CC types are basically the same type of tubes and are way overpriced. That 2C51/5670 types are better and much cheaper. I know they have a different pin layout and need an adapter.
    Headphones I have are HD580, HD650, HD800, Auteur, Atticus, Ori, LCD-2C, HE-500 and Clear. I don't have anything in mind for what type of tubes I want. I like the Gold Lions; I don't have treble issues with HD800 yet I don't find HD650 or LCD-2C dark.