1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. TK16
    They sound like the description of the Tele ECC801S that @billerb1 and @OldSkool describe with their gear. Heard a lot of Tele`s in my tube rolling adventures and these are one of the best I have tried.

mattrudy80 likes this.
  2. TK16
    I can have BangyBangTubes print you out a pair if you want? Though I do not know exactly what factory or brand you will get, most likely J&J or @bcowen favorite GE .

bcowen and jb77 like this.
  3. mattrudy80
    I agree. Also sounds like the 801s might have a larger sound stage from their descriptions.

4. TK16
    These cables are so thin, you think they are good enough to use?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2SBWK...-11e9-9672-417ebf68296c&tag=3340693-headfi-20

5. OldSkool
    Yes Sir...a very large sound stage, both in width and depth. Instruments easily located in space. Lots of detail and resolution.

That’s how I hear the 801s, not sure what Bill hears. He’s old. :wink:

jb77, billerb1 and mattrudy80 like this.
  6. billerb1
    Didn't I already say what I hear ? Hmmm, I can't remember (that was for OldSkool, lol). Really what separates the 801S's for me is their ability to bring out the nuanced harmonic subtleties of each instrument and voice. On my gear the Teles deliver the closest thing to real instrument timbre and size that I've heard on headphones. In short they deliver a more complex note. There are a lot of very good tubes that are great at retrieving certain details but they are flatter, thinner, "smaller" and less textured on my gear. I've been involved in live music most of my life and the Teles deliver the closest thing to that live, pulsating, breathing sound. Don't know if this translates to the MJ2, Lyr 2, etc...but they sure deliver for me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    jb77 and mattrudy80 like this.
  7. koover
    Damn Bill,
    Right when i think I’m done buying tubes (after the 10 pairs Ive picked up in the past 30 days) I read your eloquent and most bodacious description of these tubes. You’re killing me smalls!!

jb77, mattrudy80 and billerb1 like this.
  8. TK16
    It's a bad pairing with the MJ2. I tried 5 cans 2 dacs with similar results. Think I am going to keep them for a future amp. I hear all the things that are said about these tubes, except for being quite lean overall. Reminds me when I switched from the Lyr2 to the MJ2. Siemens CCa had similar results. They sounded holy grail in the Lyr2, not so much in the MJ2. Still burning them in, can't make a final determination with 28 hours on them.

jb77, mattrudy80 and billerb1 like this.
  9. koover
    I’m just gonna stand pat then instead of jumping on a pair. Thanx for the reply and info as we have pretty much the same gear.

10. billerb1
    But do you have the same ears ?

mattrudy80 likes this.
  11. TK16
    No.

jb77 likes this.
  12. OldSkool
    Well, I guess I have seen it all now. My ECC801s (My third pair) arrive today from India. At least both have bottom diamonds but 1 tube is marked 12AT7WA. Yes, I guess it technically is a 12AT7WA, but I have NEVER EVER seen any marked that way. It gets worse...both tubes have 4 top seams, on top of the tube, like a Siemens or Amperex. My other 2 pairs of 801S have no seams. What???

TK16 likes this.
  13. TK16
    You should of bought pair 19.

OldSkool and jb77 like this.
  14. OldSkool
    I'm thinking the owner of pair19 isn't gonna like them anyway, so maybe I will wind up with them after all. :wink:

jb77 likes this.
  15. OldSkool
    Time to warm up the Woo and see what (or What) the seamy ones sound like.

fotomeow, jb77 and mattrudy80 like this.