Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #20,492 of 23,493
You sure??? I thought you tested the tester not the tubes! You just need to tubes to power the tester! .........
LMAO!:ksc75smile:
Yeah you might be right, I`d be interested in all those adapter tubes you have that are noisy in the LP Gm reading vs the non noisy like 6N3P 3x for example. From what I have seen in the LP, the noisy tubes were lower testing tubes.

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #20,494 of 23,493
Apr 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #20,496 of 23,493
Decided to post a top 21 all time list. If anybody else has a top tube list post em up.

1. Mullard Blackburn ECC82 square getter 1957
2. Amperex Heerlen, Holland 7316 D getter 1959
3. Valvo Hamburg Pinched Waist 6201 1959
4. Valvo CCa Heerlen 1956 Pinched Waist
5. Foton or Reflektor 6N3P triple mica 1957
6. Tesla 6CC41 double D-getter 1956
7. Western Electric 396A JW 1951
8. Amperex 6922 1958 Heerlen D-getter
9. Mullard ECC81 Copenhagen, Denmark 1951
10. Telefunken ECC82 smooth plate 1962
11. Siemens ECC82 nickel plate 1959
12. Telefunken E188CC 1965
13. Valvo Hamburg ECC82 1957
14. Mullard Mitcham 6201 gold pin 1964
15. Mullard Blackburn ECC81 1957
16. Mullard Mitcham 1956/1957 ECC81
17. ECC81 Heerlen, Holland 1957/1958
18. RCA 1955 12AU7
19. RCA 1961 clear top 12AU7
20a. Tung Sol 2C51 square getter b.CBS 5670 square getter dac tubes
21a. Brimar CV2492 1968 dac tubes b. Mullard Mitcham E88CC 1966 dac tubes

I've basically unloaded most of the riff-raff and here's what remained:
1. Telefunken ECC801S (by a large margin...magic)
2. GEC A2900 (triple micas)
3. Telefunken E188CC
4. Foton 6N3p (triple micas)
5. Valvo Heerlen 7L4 D-getters

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #20,497 of 23,493
I've basically unloaded most of the riff-raff and here's what remained:
1. Telefunken ECC801S (by a large margin...magic)
2. GEC A2900 (triple micas)
3. Telefunken E188CC
4. Foton 6N3p (triple micas)
5. Valvo Heerlen 7L4 D-getters

Ya, and I took the “scraps” off his hands!!
Thx man, worked for me. :blush:

And I also notice you and Auditory Canvas have the GEC A2900 on your top 3.
That kinda says something .... what do you like about her? :relaxed:

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-10_19-58-34.png
    upload_2019-4-10_19-58-34.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #20,498 of 23,493

Haha, I'm certainly not saying the tubes on my list are the best tubes. They just seem to suit my ears and my gear. A lot of the tubes I've sold are on many peoples' HG lists.
The Tele ECC801S just have everything I'm looking for. A lot of people describe the Teles as being somewhat lean and lacking punch. Just the opposite on my system. Beautifully pure, rich tonality. Crystalline. Incredibly layered soundstage with impeccable separation. Just great stuff to me.
The GEC A2900's have kind of a legendary status for the 12AT7 variants. Many say nothing comes close in comparison. They come in a earlier vintage triple mica and a later double mica. I had both...sold the double micas to Auditory Canvas. I noticed no difference between the double and triples but the triples are very hard to find and command a big price tag. They are BADASS tubes. Higher gain from what I understand than standard 12AT7's. VERY powerful (bordering on too powerful). Very revealing. To me though their tone was not quite as well-rounded and pulsating as the Teles...but I could see many people preferring them. Reminded me of a souped-up Valvo Hamburg PW 6201 if that gives you a frame of reference.
Here are a couple things I read about the GEC's before I bought my first pair:

1. With the Gec A2900s in my VTL, the musical presentation relinquishes all compromises. The entire frequency range is in my opinion, exactly the way it should be heard. With this level of perfection one experiences a more profound insight and a greater emotional connection to the recorded event. The Gec A2900s in my system provide a level of realism I have never experienced before and has given me a whole new perspective with regard to "Enjoy the Music". In addition, this tube's high gain allows you to feel more of the music. The Sound stage is widened in all dimensions and with the heightened detail, provides the most realistic sense of the venue of the recorded event I have ever experienced.

In conclusion, the Gec A2900s are simply incredible. In my opinion, the Gec A2900s are unequivocally the best 12AT7s in the world. They take total control of your Power tubes ( I'm using Ge 6550a tubes ) which provides you greater headroom and output performance which is why I highly recommend the A2900s in the signal tube driver position of your amp. They demonstrate an unbelievably musical, balanced, dead quiet, smooth, and detailed presentation. They take the highly accurate signal from my E81CC's and impart a musical warmth that is undeniably "MAGICAL". The German Siemens & Halske E81CC's accuracy combined with British Gec A2900's musicality deliver the consummate Resolution I've inexorably been trying to achieve since I've been in high-end audio. Inserting Sound Design Labs' Reference AE Joule Case Power Conditioner in your system is the only way it gets any better than this!!!!

2. In my ever so humble opinion ;~)) The absolute, hands down, best 12AT7 (nothing even comes close, no 6201, no anything!) is the GEC A2900; or the military version, the CV6091. They come in a few variations, and I've heard them all. Maybe there are differences, but they are so far ahead of whatever is in second place, it really doesn't matter! They come with 2 or 3 micas, blackplates only, regular or 17mm longplates, pan, square, or halo getters. Pre and post 1970's. The only common/consistent thing about them is their performance and their price: both off the charts; with the former being the reason for the latter ;--) I started collecting them when they were about $85/matched pair on eBay. Now they are hard to find (with good measurements) for much less than $250/pair, whether new (1980's) or vintage (pre 1960's.) I wish I could tell you how I originally stumbled upon them, but that story is lost . . . . . One of the most worthwhile spots for these tubes in a piece of audio equipment, is as drivers for high-performance power tubes (KT88's 6550's) I've used them in my McIntosh 275 to drive NOS Gold Lions, EAT's, and (currently) Shuguang Black Treasure series KT88Z's The effect is a bit like adding octane-booster to your gas ;--) Although you won't realize quite as much improvement with lower transconductance KT88's (like the Russian Gold Lion reissues, Pentas, Electro Harmonix, Svetlanas, etc.) These GEC tubes have so much gain, while being absolutely smooth and quiet, that I'm looking for a tube phonoamp that uses them just to have my mind blown! ;--)

Edit: Maybe AC could weigh in on the GEC A2900's. He is the Ernest Hemingway of tube description.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #20,499 of 23,493
Haha, I'm certainly not saying the tubes on my list are the best tubes. They just seem to suit my ears and my gear. A lot of the tubes I've sold are on many peoples' HG lists.
The Tele ECC801S just have everything I'm looking for. A lot of people describe the Teles as being somewhat lean and lacking punch. Just the opposite on my system. Beautifully pure, rich tonality. Crystalline. Incredibly layered soundstage with impeccable separation. Just great stuff to me.
The GEC A2900's have kind of a legendary status for the 12AT7 variants. Many say nothing comes close in comparison. They come in a earlier vintage triple mica and a later double mica. I had both...sold the double micas to Auditory Canvas. I noticed no difference between the double and triples but the triples are very hard to find and command a big price tag. They are BADASS tubes. Higher gain from what I understand than standard 12AT7's. VERY powerful (bordering on too powerful). Very revealing. To me though their tone was not quite as well-rounded and pulsating as the Teles...but I could see many people preferring them. Reminded me of a souped-up Valvo Hamburg PW 6201 if that gives you a frame of reference.

1. With the Gec A2900s in my VTL, the musical presentation relinquishes all compromises. The entire frequency range is in my opinion, exactly the way it should be heard. With this level of perfection one experiences a more profound insight and a greater emotional connection to the recorded event. The Gec A2900s in my system provide a level of realism I have never experienced before and has given me a whole new perspective with regard to "Enjoy the Music". In addition, this tube's high gain allows you to feel more of the music. The Sound stage is widened in all dimensions and with the heightened detail, provides the most realistic sense of the venue of the recorded event I have ever experienced.

In conclusion, the Gec A2900s are simply incredible. In my opinion, the Gec A2900s are unequivocally the best 12AT7s in the world. They take total control of your Power tubes ( I'm using Ge 6550a tubes ) which provides you greater headroom and output performance which is why I highly recommend the A2900s in the signal tube driver position of your amp. They demonstrate an unbelievably musical, balanced, dead quiet, smooth, and detailed presentation. They take the highly accurate signal from my E81CC's and impart a musical warmth that is undeniably "MAGICAL". The German Siemens & Halske E81CC's accuracy combined with British Gec A2900's musicality deliver the consummate Resolution I've inexorably been trying to achieve since I've been in high-end audio. Inserting Sound Design Labs' Reference AE Joule Case Power Conditioner in your system is the only way it gets any better than this!!!!

2. In my ever so humble opinion ;~)) The absolute, hands down, best 12AT7 (nothing even comes close, no 6201, no anything!) is the GEC A2900; or the military version, the CV6091. They come in a few variations, and I've heard them all. Maybe there are differences, but they are so far ahead of whatever is in second place, it really doesn't matter! They come with 2 or 3 micas, blackplates only, regular or 17mm longplates, pan, square, or halo getters. Pre and post 1970's. The only common/consistent thing about them is their performance and their price: both off the charts; with the former being the reason for the latter ;--) I started collecting them when they were about $85/matched pair on eBay. Now they are hard to find (with good measurements) for much less than $250/pair, whether new (1980's) or vintage (pre 1960's.) I wish I could tell you how I originally stumbled upon them, but that story is lost . . . . . One of the most worthwhile spots for these tubes in a piece of audio equipment, is as drivers for high-performance power tubes (KT88's 6550's) I've used them in my McIntosh 275 to drive NOS Gold Lions, EAT's, and (currently) Shuguang Black Treasure series KT88Z's The effect is a bit like adding octane-booster to your gas ;--) Although you won't realize quite as much improvement with lower transconductance KT88's (like the Russian Gold Lion reissues, Pentas, Electro Harmonix, Svetlanas, etc.) These GEC tubes have so much gain, while being absolutely smooth and quiet, that I'm looking for a tube phonoamp that uses them just to have my mind blown! ;--)

Edit: Maybe AC could weigh in on the GEC A2900's. He is the Ernest Hemingway of tube description.

Wow! pretty high praise. High gain AND dead quiet???! On my radar now, dammit.
Glad they say they also work well in PreAmps (I could try them in my Calypso).
The details remind me of the Siemens CCa’s that TK sold me, but the a2900s seem to have a touch of warmth that the CCa’s don’t seem to have.

The reporter also said, “. The German Siemens & Halske E81CC's accuracy combined with British Gec A2900's musicality deliver the consummate Resolution I've inexorably been trying to achieve”.

Well, I guess I’m 1/2 way there, since I have some Siemens E81CCs being mailed to me right now.
They are a 3% matched quad (6500-6200mA), triple mica.

I also want to try the quad in my phono-stage ( Manley Chinook).

upload_2019-4-11_13-13-24.png

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #20,500 of 23,493

Wow! pretty high praise. High gain AND dead quiet???! On my radar now, dammit.
Glad they say they also work well in PreAmps (I could try them in my Calypso).
The details remind me of the Siemens CCa’s that TK sold me, but the a2900s seem to have a touch of warmth that the CCa’s don’t seem to have.

The reporter also said, “. The German Siemens & Halske E81CC's accuracy combined with British Gec A2900's musicality deliver the consummate Resolution I've inexorably been trying to achieve”.

Well, I guess I’m 1/2 way there, since I have some Siemens E81CCs being mailed to me right now.
They are a 3% matched quad (6500-6200mA), triple mica.

I also want to try the quad in my phono-stage ( Manley Chinook).

Think this is almost funny coincidence as I was going to post impressions today, my tubes that arrived yesterday are these I got a pair of the GEC CV6091/A2900, 1964, Black Plates, D Getter, has the original boxes as well! Everything @billerb1 said about theses tubes is true and is what I am hearing as well, they are phenomenal tubes!!! Easily take my number one spot! Have not heard the Telefunken ECC801S yet.

9911F304-76AF-4692-8AA5-917A6DAC8D02.jpeg

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #20,501 of 23,493
Think this is almost funny coincidence as I was going to post impressions today, my tubes that arrived yesterday are these I got a pair of the GEC CV6091/A2900, 1964, Black Plates, D Getter, has the original boxes as well! Everything @billerb1 said about theses tubes is true and is what I am hearing as well, they are phenomenal tubes!!! Easily take my number one spot! Have not heard the Telefunken ECC801S yet.

Ah, ya person! LOL :robot:.:grin:
Will look forward to a nice fat write up from ya

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #20,503 of 23,493
Yes I ordered one pair of adapters to test 6922/6DJ8 etc. and one custom pair to test 6N3P,5670, 2C51 tubes, so I will have all of my current tubes covered for testing, also ordered 4 of there socket savers for the MaxiPreamp II.
Awesome, just making sure you didn’t have that disappointing moment when it arrived and you realized it needed adapters, because their site is far from straightforward about explaining it.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #20,504 of 23,493

They are incredible tubes, I do however still put the PW Valvo triple mica 6201 above them. The 6201 has more separation and dimension to my ears and in my rig, though I appreciate that isn’t for everyone, and some prefer a touch more cohesion - if I’m listening solely to music or studio work then I prefer the 6201, if I’m listening to music while working then I prefer the A2900s.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #20,505 of 23,493
Awesome, just making sure you didn’t have that disappointing moment when it arrived and you realized it needed adapters, because their site is far from straightforward about explaining it.

Thank you I appreciate that! The company was really nice and fast about answering any questions I had, hopefully it was a good purchase and a good tester, I will post impressions on this tester after I receive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back