Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #18,826 of 23,493
Funny, I wrote to him about Fotons, and he said he had some and posted that listing for me. I saw they were Istok, and didn't get them.
I'll take it those are pretty darn close to the Foton 3x sound for cheap, maybe he got real Foton's next listing.

That seller has a single Mitcham 57 12AX7 10 minutes left if anybody is interested.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Mullard-Mitcham-M8162-12AT7-ECC81-Vacuum-tube-Tested-Guaranteed-650-code/352445016114?_trkparms=aid=777003&algo=DISCL.MBE&ao=2&asc=52885&meid=3bd1d38f1027421c8bc52c29fb10e1b3&pid=100012&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=es&sd=132766284673&itm=352445016114&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #18,827 of 23,493
They're virtually the same. The only thing I noticed was they are a tiny bit more forward in the mids.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #18,832 of 23,493
No, short code. I was kind of surprised myself they were that early. Umh02 is the whole thing. Not bad for $113, assuming they perform as test results say. Sniped them in the last 3 seconds.

EDIT: Checked for shorts, all good. In the Lyr 2 they're working fine, big soundstage, Super stereo separation and imaging, overall sound great. Completely silent black background. Going to just enjoy them with a glass of rye; no critical listening tonight. Totally lucked into these apparently super rare Holy Grail tubes for a song. I approve when something goes right.

Tell me more about the different construction, please AC.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #18,833 of 23,493
No, short code. I was kind of surprised myself they were that early. Umh02 is the whole thing. Not bad for $113, assuming they perform as test results say. Sniped them in the last 3 seconds.

EDIT: Checked for shorts, all good. In the Lyr 2 they're working fine, big soundstage, Super stereo separation and imaging, overall sound great. Completely silent black background. Going to just enjoy them with a glass of rye; no critical listening tonight. Totally lucked into these apparently super rare Holy Grail tubes for a song. I approve when something goes right.

That's a sweet deal. I paid more than that for a 1961 pair.

I don't know very much about the construction to be honest, there's not a lot of info around on it, only part I know is different size/thickness getters ( I have a pair with fat, and a pair with slim/normal, and the getter to post join is different too) which I can't tell any sound difference between. Apparently there were 4 different constructions. @kolkoo might know more after his recent research on them?

Glad you're enjoying them, they are incredible tubes.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #18,834 of 23,493
off topic, but If anyone is looking for a cheap decent headphone stand, I got one of these at the weekend, and have to dsay, it's well worth the money. Construction is good, it looks pretty decent, and works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YBN9V/

I also ordered a pair of the Dekoni fenestrated lambskin earpads for the Elear. Arrived on Sunday, but I received an empty box...They reshipped, and they arrived today. Still trying to figure out how i feel about them. Definitely a bit firmer, but I expect they will soften up, although I already notice things get a bit warmer in the cans. Not sure I'd want to wear them in the summer for as long as I do with the stock pads. They do slightly change the sound characteristics, but I need to spend a lot more time with them before giving an opinion on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BYYJRL8/

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #18,835 of 23,493
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #18,836 of 23,493

Does it have a fat getter?
Does it have only 1 hole on the plate?
Does it have any copper rods?
Does it look like it had a horizontal bottom code 7 digits?

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #18,838 of 23,493
Both the fat getter and thin getter pairs I have are copper rods. So I’m guessing by your question that some don’t?
Yes some have silver (or nickel or white) looking rods.
Some variants I was able to gather from this awesome thread - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92210.680 from people that actually have these variants so should be reliable.
Check it out.
It's hard to tell the years however but if that Umh02 code is there it should be under the ECC801S and horizontal and should be spaced out like U mh 02 to mean something.

Edit:
Man these ECC81 can be so hard to tell apart.

Look at these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282401546980
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152939555629

One tube has Siemens code, the other has Philips Copenhagen code... they look absolutely identical! How can you differentiate if painted on codes on bottom are missing? Also what if the wrong code is there LOL. Man...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #18,839 of 23,493
Thanks for that audio circle link. I wish the pictures were better. Mine has the dual fat getter, single holes. I'm not entirely sure what the "rod" is so I am not clear what I'm looking for to tell if it's copper or silver.

White/grey mica on top rather than transparent.

Telefunken diamond raised on base. 27 inside the diamond.

The U mh 02 is on the side rather than under the name.

Under the name are these codes:

Spray painted on top in black is 055 twice on both tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #18,840 of 23,493
Thanks for that audio circle link. I wish the pictures were better. Mine has the dual fat getter, single holes. I'm not entirely sure what the "rod" is so I am not clear what I'm looking for to tell if it's copper or silver.

White/grey mica on top rather than transparent.

The U mh 02 is on the side rather than under the name.
Man this is exciting can you post some pictures :D
Here is an example of a copper rod (the rods sticking out of the top and bottom mica):
Rod.png

Edit: wait I guess this was your auction https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-ECC801...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

I have been looking at these all day thinking they were another pair like yours with Umh02 on them^^ but it turns out they ARE your pair.

But I don't see double Ring on these. For some strange reason as far as I could tell the earlier Teles (50s -1960) had fat ring and silver / not copper rods. But that's just from extrapolating data from pictures so take it with a grain of salt...

In general these codes on the bottom the horizontal one would imply they were made in year that ends in 4 and year that ends in 1... but how can that be. I am super confused!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back