Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #16,277 of 23,493
@TK16 going to give them a bit more burn in before I decide to sell them. From memory the grey shields Siemens E88CCs you sold me sounded great paired with the AFOs. The CCas are...ok. Going to compare both once the CCas are burned in.

@billerb1 You describe them exactly how I hear them. The Ruskies that AuditoryCanvas sent me sound much more resolving and I find them much more engaging. They’re 30 times cheaper to boot :thinking:.

Well, if I sell them then that’s money for that second Telefunken E188CC. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Did I sell you those Siemens E88CC? My Siemens CCa pairs sounded considerably better than the E88CC I had. The CCa's sounded fantastic right out the gate with no burn in by me. Only a handful of tubes I bought wowed me from the start. Them, the PW, WE 396A, and the 2 pair of Heerlen D getters non PW.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #16,278 of 23,493
Did I sell you those Siemens E88CC? My Siemens CCa pairs sounded considerably better than the E88CC I had. The CCa's sounded fantastic right out the gate with no burn in by me. Only a handful of tubes I bought wowed me from the start. Them, the PW, WE 396A, and the 2 pair of Heerlen D getters non PW.

Yeah, you sold me 2 pairs of Siemen Grey plates ‘64 and ‘65s. If you say that the CCas sounded better than the E88CCs then I’ll give them much needed burn in before comparing. Right now they almost sound like my JWs/WE 396As just with more air.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #16,279 of 23,493
@TK16 going to give them a bit more burn in before I decide to sell them. From memory the grey shields Siemens E88CCs you sold me sounded great paired with the AFOs. The CCas are...ok. Going to compare both once the CCas are burned in.

@billerb1 You describe them exactly how I hear them. The Ruskies that AuditoryCanvas sent me sound much more resolving and I find them much more engaging. They’re 30 times cheaper to boot :thinking:.

Well, if I sell them then that’s money for that second Telefunken E188CC. Thanks for the feedback guys.

30 times cheaper now, but if you consider back when they were made, the price difference was likely negligible. It's only really demand that drove the price to insanity for certain tubes.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #16,281 of 23,493
I have a Yggy but haven’t heard the Gumby. I think maybe mnros has. If so I’m sure he’ll chime in.

Edit: I have not yet sprung for the Analog 2 Yggy upgrade...but I will. I am accepting donations.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #16,282 of 23,493
Would you say the Yggy soundstage is narrower than other DACs you've used? I've heard that the Yggy has a narrower stage than the Gumby, so I'm curious if that's true, and also in comparison to other DACs in general, not necessarily certain models.

Looking at a good deal on a Yggy gen 3 USB, that I can upgrade to analog 2 and usb 5 in the future. Just hesitant at spending that much to find it's not for me, and don't have enough time to go to the Schiit store to listen, although they'd have the gen 5 and analog 2, so wouldn't be a fair listen anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #16,283 of 23,493
Toronto/Canada friends, where have you been buying sourcing your tubes from? I didn't finding anything in this thread via search.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #16,284 of 23,493
Would you say the Yggy soundstage is narrower than other DACs you've used? I've heard that the Yggy has a narrower stage than the Gumby, so I'm curious if that's true, and also in comparison to other DACs in general, not necessarily certain models.

Looking at a good deal on a Yggy gen 3 USB, that I can upgrade to analog 2 and usb 5 in the future. Just hesitant at spending that much to find it's not for me, and don't have enough time to go to the Schiit store to listen, although they'd have the gen 5 and analog 2, so wouldn't be a fair listen anyway.

Coming from a Bifrost Multibit so the yggy is wider. Plus I listen entirely on headphones, no speakers...and my headphones are HD800S's so "wideness" has always been a given. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Edit: Just saw this post on the Yggy thread...thought it'd interest you. The guy was trying to decide whether to spring for the yggy upgrade and this was the response.
Personally I'm thrilled with the yggy...have never looked back. It is SO musical...and the detail retrieval is amazing. The upgrade supposedly adds a touch of 'sweetness' which some have said bridges the previous gap between it and the supposed 'touch warmer' Gumby. Anyway FWIW...

Thouston

Head-Fier

Get the upgrade. I just upgraded from a Gumby to the Yggy. The Yggy is the sweetest most analog DAC that I have ever heard. I can't imagine how digital PCM could get any better. The Yggy with analog 2 is fantastic.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #16,285 of 23,493
Coming from a Bifrost Multibit so the yggy is wider. Plus I listen entirely on headphones, no speakers...and my headphones are HD800S's so "wideness" has always been a given. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Edit: Just saw this post on the Yggy thread...thought it'd interest you. The guy was trying to decide whether to spring for the yggy upgrade and this was the response.
Personally I'm thrilled with the yggy...have never looked back. It is SO musical...and the detail retrieval is amazing. The upgrade supposedly adds a touch of 'sweetness' which some have said bridges the previous gap between it and the supposed 'touch warmer' Gumby. Anyway FWIW...

Thouston

Head-Fier

Get the upgrade. I just upgraded from a Gumby to the Yggy. The Yggy is the sweetest most analog DAC that I have ever heard. I can't imagine how digital PCM could get any better. The Yggy with analog 2 is fantastic.
Cool, thanks for helping me burn a hole in my pocket. :dt880smile:

hd800, wide indeed. haha. Interesting that it's wider than the Bifrost though. @ThurstonX did you see that? You know it's time haha.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #16,289 of 23,493
Once you hear it I'll be very surprised if you have any regrets at all.

Looks like the vote is unanimous then...

Thanks to this forum, I'll be forever broke.

My bank rep called the other day and said "after looking at your account history for the last 3 months, I strongly recommend that you delete your Headfi and Paypal accounts."

Does anyone here have any experience of living with one kidney? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back