Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,162 of 8,735
Quote:

I chatted with him recently.  He is working on offering DIY amp products through Joe Audio.  He said he doesn't get much chance to troll the forums but he's doing fine.  I believe he's focusing on solid state amps at first.
Hopefully, he'll announce his DIY stuff here on the forum.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

You mean the CTH, or some other insider info? Some of the chassis work looks very good. Hopefully they'll be up and offering "production" units soon.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #5,164 of 8,735
Quote:
My Jesting with you was all in good fun my only beef at the time was simple I would get 20 private messages asking where they could find the Lorenz that we all love you and I well know these tubes are like needles in a Hay stack if you understood that I had to answer ohhh over 40 people because of your bringing up the Lorenz as if any of us can just go pick them up (quite frustrating)  Not personal I think you are a fine guy.. I just do not like talking about tubes seriously that are just about as rare as a White Tiger. It was all in good fun my friend I am quite interested in your CCa review as well. If I cared to I could get them I know what equipment they were used in so that is one source that people forget about anyway that was a hint... :) 

Hi MrScary,

PMs you say?!!??!!

After all this time, I finally understand your pain. LOL

I suppose Skylab also goes through the same amount of pain as a result of posting his audio reviews? :wink:

BTW, I'm cool with your "direct" approach of communicating your thoughts on this forum.
This applies to both the past and the present.

As for the Pair of Lorenz 3 Mica CCa in my collection, it will take me some time before I post my impressions. I'll have to burn them in for 100hrs for a fair and serious review.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #5,166 of 8,735
Can anyone recommend tubes that would go well with AKG q701s?

My favorite with my k701 is the RCA clear top 6cg7, it tames the highs adds low end and has a nice soundstage, the RCA black plate is a similar but harder to find version of the clear tops and has a similar affect on the 701. I think you can still find both versions at Brent Jesse recording website.
Second favorite with them is the 6922 matsush*ta, Mullard tooling from tubemonger. It's a good all around tube, has nice mids and bass. Of coarse ymmv...

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,167 of 8,735
Hey fellow NC resident!

Thanks for your reply. Of course I know that listening opinions are different, however I do appreciate your opinion, as I have never done this tube rolling thing before. :D Haha. This provides me a good starting place. From there on out I can compare/roll away as my wallet sees fit...hah.

Is this the RCA clear-top that you recommended? And is tubedepot a reputable dealer of NOS--how is their matching test that costs $4?

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5,169 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi MrScary,

PMs you say?!!??!!

After all this time, I finally understand your pain. LOL

I suppose Skylab also goes through the same amount of pain as a result of posting his audio reviews? :wink:

BTW, I'm cool with your "direct" approach of communicating your thoughts on this forum.
This applies to both the past and the present.

As for the Pair of Lorenz 3 Mica CCa in my collection, it will take me some time before I post my impressions. I'll have to burn them in for 100hrs for a fair and serious review.

I can help you maintain your objectivity.  Send them to me and I'll burn them in for you until they hit 100 hours (or you forget...whichever comes first
very_evil_smiley.gif
).  That way, you won't be tempted to listen to them until they are properly burned in.

Remember, I'm here to help...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5,170 of 8,735
Quote:
I can help you maintain your objectivity.  Send them to me and I'll burn them in for you until they hit 100 hours (or you forget...whichever comes first
very_evil_smiley.gif
).  That way, you won't be tempted to listen to them until they are properly burned in.

Remember, I'm here to help...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hee Hee .......

I should also pass you the keys to my Beverly Hills mansion for safekeeping.

It holds my stash of Lorenz tubes and stocks of pure silver audio cables too.

And all my credit cards too, in case you need to help me purchase tube damperners for my precious stockpile.

After all, what is an audio forum for if we can't trust one another? :wink:

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,171 of 8,735
Quote:

Hee Hee .......

I know some of the elitist possess Lorenz tubes, but c'mon, you're just being a snob now. 
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5,172 of 8,735
Quote:

Hee Hee .......

It holds my stash of Lorenz tubes and stocks of pure silver audio cables too.

And all my credit cards too, in case you need to help me purchase tube damperners for my precious stockpile.

After all, what is an audio forum for if we can't trust one another? :wink:

Well, if you insist! 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - It's OK, I already have dampeners...
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #5,173 of 8,735
The 6FQ7 and the 12FQ7 (12.6 volt heater) are the electrical equivalent of the 6SN7 in a small tube. 50 dollars for a 6FQ7 is ridiculous but I guess people will pay it. The tube is not uncommon and is okay sounding but many were made. I have a number of them but they are in storage. Maybe I should go back to the lower 48 to get them. :^)

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #5,175 of 8,735
I can help you maintain your objectivity.  Send them to me and I'll burn them in for you until they hit 100 hours (or you forget...whichever comes first:veryevil: ).  That way, you won't be tempted to listen to them until they are properly burned in.

Remember, I'm here to help...:D

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

HK you know down deep inside I love ya, but please explain one thing to me. Where does this magical 100 hours come from for a tube breaking in? The reason I ask is I have seen no return whatsoever over 8 hours at top. I mean I deal with huge EL34 tubes 6L6s and I just do not hear it at all.. I agree to be fair
that I have had tubes I have though were crude and after tops 12 hours they came alive but after that I think this is just some mass induced hysteria. I mean think of this I am a semi Pro musician I am on now 34 years of Playing guitar I do session work now I am on many recordings I have never ever
broken in Guitar amp tubes --Ever. Now if you think of that you realize that nobody does and I mean nobody we put them in then we have to Bias the tubes (On most amps) which is dangerous as Schitt and then we put her on standby for 60 seconds and flip the standby switch.... I have never heard a difference at all
and Guitar amps mostly commonly use a Combo of Preamp tubes AX7 or Au7's and El34 and 6L6's.. And on the listening side again I will stress since for your safety these litle Lyr's are self biasing thank god or we would probably have a memorial of those that fried themselves on here ohh well anyway..

Please explain this magic number of 100 hours :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back