Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5,116 of 8,735
Any idea where I can buy a multi tap transformer to use in my tube tester rebuild project?
Mine leaks
I am going to strip the tester down to 9 pin tubes only.  The heater is (of course)  6.3V
Is the plate voltage 30V  ? 

I also want to build in test taps, using orphaned tube sockets, for a multimeter and an oscilloscope.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #5,118 of 8,735
This tube jewelry thing could be Huge.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5,119 of 8,735
Quote:
@ soth
Yeah man, did you pick up anything good or unusual recently?

Tubes wise, I finally managed to pick up a Lorenz CCa (3 mica).
The last time I posted my Lorenz Stuttgart shootout impressions over here, that was the only missing link in my Lorenz tube collection.
Except for the CCa (3 Mica), I managed to cover the entire range of 3 Mica vs 2 Mica
and
the CCa vs PCC88 vs E88CC variants the last time.

Headphones wise , I've finally upgraded to a Beyer T1 from my DT880.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5,121 of 8,735
Quote:
Any idea where I can buy a multi tap transformer to use in my tube tester rebuild project?
Mine leaks
I am going to strip the tester down to 9 pin tubes only.  The heater is (of course)  6.3V
Is the plate voltage 30V  ? 

I also want to build in test taps, using orphaned tube sockets, for a multimeter and an oscilloscope.

If anyone is interested in getting a customized tube tester, please feel free to PM me.

i've got a contact in France who is a tube tester engineering genius ala Leonardo Da Vinci.
For about €200, he helped me build a customised tube tester for 2 preamp and 1 Output tubes.
It comes with a digital LCD which can provide readings accurate to 1 decimal place.

The only catch is that you have to provide your own box.
I used a wooden Kleenex Tissue box holder for that purpose.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #5,123 of 8,735
The last time I posted my Lorenz Stuttgart shootout impressions over here, that was the only missing link in my Lorenz tube collection.
Except for the CCa (3 Mica), I managed to cover the entire range of 3 Mica vs 2 Mica
and

Well if you update your Lorenz reveiw, please repost it. I would love to see how the 3mica cca stacks up against the rest. The 7dj8 Lorenz 3mica was my favorite tube pair for the lyr, so I'm sure the cca version is pretty sweet.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,124 of 8,735
Quote:

and

I've performed the same identical upgrade, headphone wise.  Tube-wise, I'm content for now on the diminished end of the diminishing returns curve.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,125 of 8,735
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to tubes and I'm trying to learn a little more about them.

What is a grey shield? Is it the grey little boxes within the tube? Looks like all the tubes that the Lyr takes have grey shields.  

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #5,126 of 8,735
You are referring to the plates, there are two smaller rectange pieces on opposite sides of the plates, that run from the top to bottom of the mica(thin metal horizontal circle). These are the sheilds and are commonly a chrome/silver color, if it matches the color of the plates(grey) that indicates its an older tube.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5,128 of 8,735
Quote:
Well if you update your Lorenz reveiw, please repost it. I would love to see how the 3mica cca stacks up against the rest. The 7dj8 Lorenz 3mica was my favorite tube pair for the lyr, so I'm sure the cca version is pretty sweet.

I'll update that Lorenz Stuttgart review .......
............. eventually......
Mr " Skull and Bones" over here used to call me Lord SLOTH.
i'll just have to move my lazy butt..... :)

Yes, the 3 Mica variants seem to be more balanced from top to bottom sonically.
I prefer their sonics over the 2 Mica variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back