Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5,056 of 8,735
Quote:
About the Bugle Boys...I agree with Iamnothim. Unfortunately, they always sound kinda average in my audio chain. YMMV.

Man, I WANT to like them. I love that little cartoon tube blowing that trumpet like he's Miles Davis! But everytime I roll them in, I just don't hear the magic.
frown.gif

Interesting. I've got a matched pair of 1967 Bugle Boy O getters and find them absolutely competitive with my 1971 Amperex A frames. Both are good. The Amperex is silky, the Bugle Boys have more space and a slightly more sparkly high end. In fact I may even prefer the BBs.

But... I've got my HD-650s plugged into a Burson Soloist right now, and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Blasphemy!!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5,057 of 8,735
Quote:
Great tubes and great seller.

I have heard 1967 and 1968 versions of this tube. Did Amperex only manufacture the Orange Globe/halo 6DJ8 for those 2 years before switching to the A-frame/dimple getter? Anyone know?

So are my 69's unusual in that they are a single post dimple getter?

@ Oskari,

About all the other stuff.  I really don't mind being corrected.  In fact I consider it a good thing.
Sarcasm aside.  You are 100% correct.  Thanks

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5,058 of 8,735
Quote:
OK Thanks all - maybe I'll just pick up another pair of Orange Globes - really like them.

OldSkool - what's your fav tube with the HE500? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on them.

With the HE-500's, I gotta say the Mullard CV2493 is my current favorite. Everyone hears things differently, but I like how the CV2493 has these smooth, warm mids, nice detail, and an overall sound that's slightly laid-back.

The Orange Globes are more forward with nice detail and really shine with the Senn 650's, at least to my ears. 

Very glad to hear that you're gonna get the HE500's....I bet you will love them.
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,059 of 8,735
Quote:
So are my 69's unusual in that they are a single post dimple getter?

Maybe so. My '67 and '68 6DJ8 Orange Globes are Halo getters. I don't have a '69, but my '70, 71, '72 and '75 are all A-Frame w/ dimple getter.

Was 1969 a transitional year? How about '66? Maybe the tube gurus will enlighten us rookies again.
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #5,060 of 8,735
Maybe so. My '67 and '68 6DJ8 Orange Globes are Halo getters. I don't have a '69, but my '70, 71, '72 and '75 are all A-Frame w/ dimple getter.

Was 1969 a transitional year? How about '66? Maybe the tube gurus will enlighten us rookies again. :smile:

Summon the Oracle(s)

Ps. Ya need to get another set of OG's

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #5,062 of 8,735
Quote:
Ps. Ya need to get another set of OG's

Ya think? 
wink.gif

Searching on Google, it looks like your '69 OG's are indeed special and semi-rare. Better hang on to them...

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5,064 of 8,735
I have orange globes, white, PQ, A frame, Bugle Boy (just branded with the bugle boy but they look neat and supposed to be special audio quality) O getter, gold pin, they all make me happy. All NOS, was lucky when a TV store went out years ago with a crazy supply of about 150 nos in all types of Amperex. One of those things you read or dream about. I have some Amperex shown to be Gt. Britain but really Russian and they are the best 6DJ8 I have ever heard. It's all good.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5,065 of 8,735
Quote:
I have orange globes, white, PQ, A frame, Bugle Boy (just branded with the bugle boy but they look neat and supposed to be special audio quality) O getter, gold pin, they all make me happy. All NOS, was lucky when a TV store went out years ago with a crazy supply of about 150 nos in all types of Amperex. One of those things you read or dream about. I have some Amperex shown to be Gt. Britain but really Russian and they are the best 6DJ8 I have ever heard. It's all good.

I have this vivid image of a TV store in Alaska.....

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #5,069 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes...I just picked one up.  I guess I should look for different year orange globe.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with 67's  You should like those a lot.

Your signature says you have a Valhalla.  Do you have a Lyr as well?
Because, I have no idea how these tubes will sound in a Valhalla.  Just because the Lyr likes them doesn't mean the Valhalla will.

Someone more knowledgeable will provide the answers.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #5,070 of 8,735
Quote:
Nothing wrong with 67's  You should like those a lot.

Your signature says you have a Valhalla.  Do you have a Lyr as well?
Because, I have no idea how these tubes will sound in a Valhalla.  Just because the Lyr likes them doesn't mean the Valhalla will.

Someone more knowledgeable will provide the answers.

So far, Bugle boy tube (1960) and orangle label a frame sounds good.  It's first for me to get tube instrument so it sounds warm and tubby.
with my hd800, it sounds more alive.  I felt more body. 
with asgard I did really felt asgard has power, with Valhalla I felt sudden power from the amp.  That doesn't mean Asgard is bad, I love this amp, therefore I can't sell it.
Also, Asgard loves my lcd2.  Maybe near future I'll just get the Lyr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back