Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,041 of 8,735
Getting good iam! The only sentence I take issue with is, "The getter contributes a lot to a tube's sound signature".
The getter is only used to absorb gas impurities, the different shapes can mostly be used to determine the age of the tube. Thats why "D" getters are more sought after, they were used in the older 50/early 60s tubes. The getter shouldn't affect the sound.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #5,042 of 8,735
Oh Oracle of the Getter....

Thank you for the clarification.

Your humble tube apprentice.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #5,045 of 8,735
Quote:
As an example Amperex made tubes in NY, USA and in Herleen Netherlands, among others.

US, yes. Netherlands, no. Philips, the owner of Amperex, made tubes in Heerlen, among others, also to be branded Amperex for the US market.

As an example a small triangle designates Herleen Netherlands. SInce Amperex is the only mfg with a plant in Herleen the triangle means Amperex in Holland.

No such thing. The right triangle identifies Philips Heerlen production.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5,046 of 8,735
Quote:

US, yes. Netherlands, no. Philips, the owner of Amperex, made tubes in Heerlen, among others, also to be branded Amperex for the US market.

No such thing. The right triangle identifies Philips Heerlen production.

I used "Philips / Amprex" in the post and I interchanged them as a company.  I make this mistake often.

I am aware that Philips made product for several companies under different brand names.
I am aware that Amperex is a brand and not a company.  Correct "Amperex cannot make tubes.
I spelled Herleen wrong.  Again.
Philips Factory Valve Codes Guide does indeed list Philips Herleen (oops) next to the right triangle symbol.
The word "Amperex" cannot be found in this guide.

Yet on the Philips tubes below the word Philips cannot be found.
There are many Philips tubes that don't say Philips on them.

So to the uneducated the tubes below that say "Made in Holland"
I guess Philips didn't want to waste ink on Netherlands.
"Amperex" with a little triangle might be misconstrued as the Amperex Company.
I just didn't want to write this paragraph in the other post.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #5,047 of 8,735
Quote:
I am aware that Amperex is a brand and not a company.  Correct "Amperex cannot make tubes.

It was a company all right, a US subsidiary of Philips. Amperex did make tubes in the US. The parent company made them in the Netherlands. A multitude of Philips subsidiaries made them in many other places, Valvo in Germany, Mullard in Great Britain, Radiotechnique in France, etc.

Philips Factory Valve Codes Guide does indeed list Philips Herleen (oops) next to the right triangle symbol.
The word "Amperex" cannot be found in this guide.

Sure it can, right next to the  symbol.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5,048 of 8,735
It was a company all right, a US subsidiary of Philips. Amperex did make tubes in the US. The parent company made them in the Netherlands. A multitude of Philips subsidiaries made them in many other places, Valvo in Germany, Mullard in Great Britain, Radiotechnique in France, etc.

Sure it can, right next to the 
 symbol.

You are correct.
I'm a big ugly stupid rude American.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #5,049 of 8,735
Speaking of Amperex - I really like the 1969 Orange Globes Dimple Getter that I'm using right now - going to try some Bugle Boys
http://www.nostubestore.com/2010/04/amperex-bugle-boy-6dj8ecc88-holland.html 
Has anyone purchase form here?

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5,050 of 8,735
Speaking of Amperex - I really like the 1969 Orange Globes Dimple Getter that I'm using right now - going to try some Bugle Boys

I'm chiming in again. Can't help myself.
I haven't bought from them.

I too have the dimple getters. Mine are 69. I like them a lot.

IMO. Repeat IMO
I didn't care for the Bugle Boys.

I would take a pass and try some Lorenz or La Radiotechniques.
I've ordered a set of each. $60 for the Lorenz but not the top end Lorenz by any means.
$120 for the L's

Again. I haven't heard them yet but a lot of folks on the thread love them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5,051 of 8,735

I'm chiming in again. Can't help myself.
I haven't bought from them.

I too have the dimple getters. Mine are 69. I like them a lot.

IMO. Repeat IMO
I didn't care for the Bugle Boys.

I would take a pass and try some Lorenz or La Radiotechniques.
I've ordered a set of each. $60 for the Lorenz but not the top end Lorenz by any means.
$120 for the L's

Again. I haven't heard them yet but a lot of folks on the thread love them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #5,052 of 8,735
Speaking of Orange Globes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321062040828?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D321062040828%26_rdc%3D1

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #5,053 of 8,735
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5,054 of 8,735
About the Bugle Boys...I agree with Iamnothim. Unfortunately, they always sound kinda average in my audio chain. YMMV.

Man, I WANT to like them. I love that little cartoon tube blowing that trumpet like he's Miles Davis! But everytime I roll them in, I just don't hear the magic.
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #5,055 of 8,735
OK Thanks all - maybe I'll just pick up another pair of Orange Globes - really like them.

OldSkool - what's your fav tube with the HE500? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back