Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5,011 of 8,735
Quote:
My issue is with the price. As stated, it doesn't seem right to me. Unless tube prices have gone through the roof, etc.

I've owned those particular pair, and got them for much, much less than what's being listed.

I can understand that to a certain extent.

But I'll give an counter argument. Back months ago the Lorenz Stuttgart's were being had at $120. Some were trying to flip these for, say, double.

Just because someone is willing to pay the price doesn't make it right.

I was just wondering if tube prices had inflated or if this seller is just a crook. Which he would be IMO.

No argument the prices can be all over the place. I have been watching Telefunkens going for some very high prices on e-bay. The Telefunkens have a good reputation and is getting harder to find and the prices are all over the board take a look at the search below sorted highest price first.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=telefunken+6922&_sop=16

I have been having a ton of fun lately rolling tubes in my Pan Am. It can be voiced to sound similar to the Lyr with perhaps a slightly different sound stage and great sounding 6AK5 tubes can be had for $20.00 a pair.  I still use my Lyr a lot, but I am a lot more selective about how many tubes I buy for it since they often cost more.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #5,012 of 8,735
Quote:

No argument the prices can be all over the place. I have been watching Telefunkens going for some very high prices on e-bay. The Telefunkens have a good reputation and is getting harder to find and the prices are all over the board take a look at the search below sorted highest price first.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=telefunken+6922&_sop=16

I have been having a ton of fun lately rolling tubes in my Pan Am. It can be voiced to sound similar to the Lyr with perhaps a slightly different sound stage and great sounding 6AK5 tubes can be had for $20.00 a pair.  I still use my Lyr a lot, but I am a lot more selective about how many tubes I buy for it since they often cost more.

And they've always been all over the place. But those SEL were not very expensive at all.
And I checked and the CV2492's are still going for $200. Which makes those SEL OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. IMO.

The Pan Am is a fun amp, I'd personally only consider it for driving more sensitive cans.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #5,013 of 8,735
I paid $59.  But that's only because I didn't get the fancy red and white box  
biggrin.gif

Then again, maybe the nice man in Lithuania will include boxes.

I knew they weren't top shelf tubes, but for $60 a mid 60's O getter is always nice.
My listing did not say Yugo and I could not see a factory code in the photo.
So be it.

Thanks to the gent's in this thread for sharing their knowledge and providing guidance.   I now know better what differentiates Lorenz tubes and what a realistic price is.
For that I am grateful.

I do think the popularity of the Lry and the excitement  of tube rolling has driven prices up.
I have enough nice sets in my collection that I can cool down and go bargain hunting.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #5,014 of 8,735
This might be a bargain.....   $125.00  each tube

[size=large]PHILIPS / AMPEREX 6922   E88CC  Vacuum Tube.
Golden Pins, Industrial Higher grade version of 6DJ8
Made in Holland.
Manufactured in Heerlen, Holland for and distributed by:
ROGERS Electronic Tubes and Components,
a devision of PHILIPS Electronics Industries Ltd.,
Toronto, CANADA.
New Old Stock (NOS).
Original ROGERS Box.
Manufacture Product / Date code: 7L4 / "delta"9G
( 6922 (4th revision) / Heerlen, Holland factory / July, 1959 )
Few tubes from the same production batch available,
Each tube individually tested and listed.
[/size]

I have 1960 Amprex "D" Getters USA  I paid $300
I love them.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #5,015 of 8,735
Quote:
Wait a minute. We bought the highly sought out after Stuttgart's for a cool $120 and those inferior bastards are justifiable at $200, er, $150.

OldSkool, dude, you owe me, say, an extra $100.

No prob! Just finish HK_sends time-travel machine and go back and mark them up.
wink.gif

FWIW, I paid well above going rate for my first pair, then got a deal on my second pair. I'd say that evens things out.
biggrin.gif

Dox, I agree that tube prices have gone thru the roof. But don't blame me, blame Schiit for coming out with a 6DJ8 rollable tube amp that everyone loves...

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5,016 of 8,735
Quote:
No prob! Just finish HK_sends time-travel machine and go back and mark them up.
wink.gif

FWIW, I paid well above going rate for my first pair, then got a deal on my second pair. I'd say that evens things out.
biggrin.gif

Dox, I agree that tube prices have gone thru the roof. But don't blame me, blame Schiit for coming out with a 6DJ8 rollable tube amp that everyone loves...

Hear! Hear!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5,017 of 8,735
Quote:
This might be a bargain.....   $125.00  each tube

[size=large]PHILIPS / AMPEREX 6922   E88CC  Vacuum Tube.
Golden Pins, Industrial Higher grade version of 6DJ8
Made in Holland.
Manufactured in Heerlen, Holland for and distributed by:
ROGERS Electronic Tubes and Components,
a devision of PHILIPS Electronics Industries Ltd.,
Toronto, CANADA.
New Old Stock (NOS).
Original ROGERS Box.
Manufacture Product / Date code: 7L4 / "delta"9G
( 6922 (4th revision) / Heerlen, Holland factory / July, 1959 )
Few tubes from the same production batch available,
Each tube individually tested and listed.
[/size]

I have 1960 Amprex "D" Getters USA  I paid $300
I love them.

Those look French made. More info please, I may know a guy who wants a set............. guess who????

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #5,019 of 8,735
what is important when pairing tubes for Lyr - balancing triodes inside of each tube or only matching all the triodes between the tubes ?

I mean something like 18/15 for first tube and 18/15 for second would be great match as a 18/18 for first tube and 18/18 for second ? How does Lyr use tubes inside ? I know about voltage multiplier but for each channel 1 tube (2 triodes inside) ? so balancing doesnt matter at all ? normal pairing tubes will be enough ?

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #5,020 of 8,735
Quote:
what is important when pairing tubes for Lyr - balancing triodes inside of each tube or only matching all the triodes between the tubes ?

I mean something like 18/15 for first tube and 18/15 for second would be great match as a 18/18 for first tube and 18/18 for second ? How does Lyr use tubes inside ? I know about voltage multiplier but for each channel 1 tube (2 triodes inside) ? so balancing doesnt matter at all ? normal pairing tubes will be enough ?

I beliieve the Lyr only uses 1 triode from each tube, meaning the first of your examples is more important..... unless you have a "triode flipper" socket to plug your tube(s) in through.  I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not right.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5,022 of 8,735
6922 (E88CC)  RCA, Siemens, Telefunken, Amperex  Double Triode

I have to look it up again but I believe that "C" is the designation for Triode.  Hence "CC" is double triode.    But it could be "88"

Either way there are 2.

I put a couple documents you may find interesting in a Dropbox.   Please make sure you keep them there for others.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/moq4g2gjnfeysps/rI_SEEqiG2

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5,023 of 8,735
I'll also put a US Navy tube training course I found in the dropbox.

Balancing is unnecessary with the Lyr.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #5,024 of 8,735
Quote:

Quote:
I beliieve the Lyr only uses 1 triode from each tube, meaning the first of your examples is more important..... unless you have a "triode flipper" socket to plug your tube(s) in through.  I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not right.

Quote:
only 1 triode of each tube ??????? hmmm, Jason would be great person to clarify this ...

Yes, the Lyr uses only one triode per tube.  Each triode handles a separate signal (channel).  That's why the little amps on e-bay like the Bravo and Indeed G2 can use a single 6922-family tube.  One triode handles handles the left channel and the other handles the right.  So for the Lyr, matched tubes are important while on the little amps that use one tube, having matched or balanced triodes in a single tube is most important.

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,025 of 8,735
Quote:

Yes, they use only one triode per tube.  Each triode handles a separate signal (channel).  That's why the little amps on e-bay like the Bravo and Indeed G2 can use a single 6922-family tube.  One triode handles handles the left channel and the other handles the right.  So for the Lyr, matched tubes are important while on the little amps that use one tube, having matched or balanced triodes in a single tube is most important.

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

So the question is not how many triodes the tube has, but how many triodes in the tube are used by the Lyr?

Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back