Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4,876 of 8,735
Jan 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,877 of 8,735
Quote:
heh, that was the initial shock from going from uncomfortable ER-4P's and stock laptop speakers to the set up listed in my sig. the detail is unreal, but i think i'll keep searching for "the one tube to rule them all." i'd like more air between the instruments and a more neutral depiction of the frequencies represented in each song. 

EDIT: so i'm gonna redact my muddiness comment. just rolled through a better mastered post rock test song that i love and the detail is astounding. perhaps i'm warming up to these tubes. is this tube "settling in" thing legitimate or is it anything widely debated topic with no scientific data behind it? they seem to be opening up. sorry if i jumped the gun on my review too soon, we'll call that one "Initial Impressions" for all concerned parties and i'll closely monitor any changes they present.

I can't speak for anyone else but in my experience, yes, tubes can settle (burn) in...smoothing their sound, opening up the soundstage, etc.  I've never had a set of tubes go from good sounding to bad, just good to better.  Whether it's my ear or the tube, the effects were noticeable, just not drastic.

Again, that's just my experience.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #4,878 of 8,735
Quote:
heh, that was the initial shock from going from uncomfortable ER-4P's and stock laptop speakers to the set up listed in my sig. the detail is unreal, but i think i'll keep searching for "the one tube to rule them all." i'd like more air between the instruments and a more neutral depiction of the frequencies represented in each song. 

EDIT: so i'm gonna redact my muddiness comment. just rolled through a better mastered post rock test song that i love and the detail is astounding. perhaps i'm warming up to these tubes. is this tube "settling in" thing legitimate or is it anything widely debated topic with no scientific data behind it? they seem to be opening up. sorry if i jumped the gun on my review too soon, we'll call that one "Initial Impressions" for all concerned parties and i'll closely monitor any changes they present.

If you just got the tubes, they do need some burn in,  secondly it takes a while for the Lyr to warm up.

From my testing, I do think the 7v Tubes PCC88 7dj8, seem to have more "air" and "separation", these are usually a steal
since very few designs call for a 6dj7 compatible 7v tube.  Anyways.

Once again try the 30$  1960s Tesla's from tubemonger.  they are very good and a true bargain.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4,879 of 8,735
Quote:

If you just got the tubes, they do need some burn in,  secondly it takes a while for the Lyr to warm up.

From my testing, I do think the 7v Tubes PCC88 7dj8, seem to have more "air" and "separation", these are usually a steal
since very few designs call for a 6dj7 compatible 7v tube.  Anyways.

Once again try the 30$  1960s Tesla's from tubemonger.  they are very good and a true bargain.

thank you for the recommendation. and the tubes are definitely opening up. they are NIB that I just opened up last night. they have maybe 8 hours so far. 

Can anyone confirm or deny microphonics being displayed initially and then going away? Had an issue with a midly microphonic tube that now, even when I tap the tube is as quiet as it's silent mate in the next slot. thanks everyone! this thread is a really great source of info and i'm excited to contribute what i find. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,880 of 8,735
Quote:
thank you for the recommendation. and the tubes are definitely opening up. they are NIB that I just opened up last night. they have maybe 8 hours so far. 

Can anyone confirm or deny microphonics being displayed initially and then going away? Had an issue with a midly microphonic tube that now, even when I tap the tube is as quiet as it's silent mate in the next slot. thanks everyone! this thread is a really great source of info and i'm excited to contribute what i find. 

If it ain't broke....  
This is alchemy, voodoo, and luck.
Science ... Science ?
I can't think of one befit from taping a tube. At least a working one.   Anyone ?

Cook the tubes at 350, baste after 15 minutes, glow to taste.
It's the Rumplestilskin effect.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #4,881 of 8,735
Quote:
If it ain't broke....  
This is alchemy, voodoo, and luck.
Science ... Science ?
I can't think of one befit from taping a tube. At least a working one.   Anyone ?

Cook the tubes at 350, baste after 15 minutes, glow to taste.
It's the Rumplestilskin effect.

yeah, i was doing my anti-microphonic shaman chant but i was unsure if it was that or if there was a scientific explanation, or at least accounts from the other tube rollers in this thread. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #4,882 of 8,735
Quote:
O riginally Posted by drumsnspace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah, i was doing my anti-microphonic shaman chant but i was unsure if it was that or if there was a scientific explanation, or at least accounts from the other tube rollers in this thread. 

just me be'n a wise acre.
biggrin.gif

Have I tapped on my tubes?....... What do you think.
Hell ya.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,883 of 8,735
Quote:

Are you sure it isn't the headphone cables microphonics and not necessarily the tube?
Did you try and switch the tube to the other spot and replicate findings?

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4,884 of 8,735
Quote:
just me be'n a wise acre.
biggrin.gif

Have I tapped on my tubes?....... What do you think.
Hell ya.

what i meant by tapping was checking for microphony. yesterday when i tapped on it or dragged my finger across the top, it was amplified through the corresponding cup in my 'phones. you could hear vibrations within the tube, that seems to have died down quite a bit.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4,885 of 8,735
Quote:

Are you sure it isn't the headphone cables microphonics and not necessarily the tube?
Did you try and switch the tube to the other spot and replicate findings?

I can confirm it was tube microphonics because I moved the tube and the phenomenon was replicated in the other cup. But please note that the Lyr, Bifrost, HE-500's and Amperex tubes were all brand new last night. Perhaps the tubes were just settling in?

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4,886 of 8,735
Quote:
I can confirm it was tube microphonics because I moved the tube and the phenomenon was replicated in the other cup. But please note that the Lyr, Bifrost, HE-500's and Amperex tubes were all brand new last night. Perhaps the tubes were just settling in?

What I'm not understanding is the phenomenon of tube microphonic's is normal. So don't bang against your amp or invest in tube dampers.

Unless the tubes exhibit noise unadulterated because that's just annoying. Sadly, tubes and microphonics are like PB&J.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #4,887 of 8,735
Quote:
What I'm not understanding is the phenomenon of tube microphonic's is normal. So don't bang against your amp or invest in tube dampers.

Unless the tubes exhibit noise unadulterated because that's just annoying. Sadly, tubes and microphonics are like PB&J.

Sorry, I'm new to tubes and headphone hi-fi, perhaps I should've worded it a bit more clearly. One tube was emitting an incessant high pitched whine. I already have tube dampers, and last night while the tube was still being noisy, and moved the damper around and got it to stop, but it came a back a few times. Today, I had no issues. My question is, can a tube be noisy then stop?  

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,888 of 8,735
Quote:

you rock, all new as of yesterday.  you must be pretty amp'd  (ignore bad pun)

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,889 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry, I'm new to tubes and headphone hi-fi, perhaps I should've worded it a bit more clearly. One tube was emitting an incessant high pitched whine. I already have tube dampers, and last night while the tube was still being noisy, and moved the damper around and got it to stop, but it came a back a few times. Today, I had no issues. My question is, can a tube be noisy then stop?  

Ah gotcha. That makes it quite a bit more clear (that unadulterated annoying tube noise).

Tubes are funky, those tubes could have worked out their kinks after warming up or they could just go away and magically come back later.

If it continues or at least continues to be a bother you're looking at needing to grab another set. Generally you can test tubes all you'd like
but that doesn't really factor in the microphonic's.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4,890 of 8,735
Quote:
Ah gotcha. That makes it quite a bit more clear (that unadulterated annoying tube noise).

Tubes are funky, those tubes could have worked out their kinks after warming up or they could just go away and magically come back later.

If it continues or at least continues to be a bother you're looking at needing to grab another set. Generally you can test tubes all you'd like
but that doesn't really factor in the microphonic's.

I'm hoping the former is the case, we'll see though. They are almost half a century old. Either way I can't hear it during any of my recordings, it just sounds like my ear is ringing after I pause a song or something. I haven't listened to anything that has long pauses, though. I bought the set from mercedesman and (prematurely) got in contact with him about the noise, and he offered to send out a replacement. Top notch customer service but I'm thinking it might be unnecessary at this point. 

To bring it back to the main purpose of the thread:

1965 Amperex USN-CEP 6922 set, a winner in my book. The sound is opening up and the separation is greater with every listen. The mids aren't drowning out the other frequencies like the were in the beginning and even poorly recorded tracks are sounding less muddy. This is in comparison to my initial impressions, tubes have about 10 hours on them. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back