I have the JAN Philips 6922s, but i think the BEST bang for the buck is

Tesla ECC88 6DJ8 1960s NOS (NOT JJ) - M. Pairs MINT NOS - Rožnov Prod

Should be 30 bucks for a matched pair 
I believe they sound better than the JAN Philips

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #4,817 of 8,735
Quote:
Because I am odd......
(edit)
Im thinkin these tubes may very well overtake the Orange Globes as the best bang-for-the-buck tube.
Just say'n

Except they bumped the price to $64 on e-bay.
tongue.gif
  Still worth it, I would say.

Nothing wrong with being odd, I can attest to that.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #4,818 of 8,735
Quote:
I have the JAN Philips 6922s, but i think the BEST bang for the buck is

Tesla ECC88 6DJ8 1960s NOS (NOT JJ) - M. Pairs MINT NOS - Rožnov Prod

Should be 30 bucks for a matched pair 
I believe they sound better than the JAN Philips

I had a couple sets of those before and they are really good sounding tubes.  I like the Phillips tubes at the moment because the sound is not typical of the 6922 (to me at least...bass-lite) sound and just pairs well with the music and equipment I have at the moment.  Plus, I'm looking for reasons NOT to spend another $3k in tubes for my Lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #4,819 of 8,735
Quote:
I had a couple sets of those before and they are really good sounding tubes.  I like the Phillips tubes at the moment because the sound is not typical of the 6922 (to me at least...bass-lite) sound and just pairs well with the music and equipment I have at the moment.  Plus, I'm looking for reasons NOT to spend another $3k in tubes for my Lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I would totally agree on that analysis of the two tubes.  Definitely the Tesla has more bass tonality.

For what it is worth,
I have the Russian set of tubes from Schiit and they have almost no bass response very airy.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #4,820 of 8,735
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dibs on hand-me-downs

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #4,821 of 8,735
Quote:
Dibs on hand-me-downs

Unfortunately, you are a little late to the party...
wink_face.gif
  I had to sell my "stuff" awhile back to cover some unexpected financial issues.  I'm just now restoring my system and only have five sets of tubes.  Two Lorenz, Two Philips JAN, and the GE 6DJ8s that came with the Lyr.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,822 of 8,735
Unfortunately, you are a little late to the party...
wink_face.gif

I had to sell my "stuff" awhile back to cover some unexpected financial issues.  I'm just now restoring my system and only have five sets of tubes.  Two Lorenz, Two Philips JAN, and the GE 6DJ8s that came with the Lyr.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I'll be upbeat.
Congrats on the new tubes :)

These are very nice tubes...
I'm going listen for a day or so then roll up to my top shelf stuff.

I have a very difficult time identifying the difference between tubes... Probably need more experience. I did stumble on something interesting. I like the releases of old 60's studio demo recordings. Dylan, George Harrison, The Beatles. The tracks are raw bare bone gems.

It turns out the early studio demos on The Beatles "Anthology" collection magnifys the difference I'm my tubes.

I was listening to other albums with some clear top RCA's and they were great. Bring up Anthology and the vocals were harsh, very hard to listen to. Pop in the USA "D" getters and the vocals are very smooth.

Have you come across this?

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,823 of 8,735
I haven't tried listening to old studio demo recordings to listen for differences in tubes.  I have a few favorite tracks I am really familiar with to include tracks from Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire 1-8, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, and Electric Light Orchestra.  I have listened to some of their tracks for years on various equipment and can hear differences between the tubes.  But that is a good idea...I have to dig up some of my anthology albums and see if they have any demo material.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #4,824 of 8,735
I haven't tried listening to old studio demo recordings to listen for differences in tubes.  I have a few favorite tracks I am really familiar with to include tracks from Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire 1-8, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, and Electric Light Orchestra.  I have listened to some of their tracks for years on various equipment and can hear differences between the tubes.  But that is a good idea...I have to dig up some of my anthology albums and see if they have any demo material.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Not so much Dylan, Harrison, or CSN. But the vocals in the Beatles Anthology disc 1 change dramatically. It think it's because the music is so simple. There's only a few different sounds.

Buddy Guy & Jr Wells "Alone and Acoustic" are very simple songs as well. Acoustic guitar, harp and vocals. Either set of tubes sound good. There is something with the Beatles album

BTW, if you like Chicago Blues, that's your ticket on the L

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #4,826 of 8,735
Quote:
I am really enjoying these Philips JAN 6922 tubes!  They are warm yet detailed and really pair well with the latest version of LCD-2s.  There was a little issue of sibilance when I started using them but it smoothed out very quickly (since my LCD-2s don't even have 100 hours on them yet, it could have been the headphones).  But overall, these are very musical tubes!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
Because I am odd......
(edit)
Im thinkin these tubes may very well overtake the Orange Globes as the best bang-for-the-buck tube.
Just say'n

I got these same Philps tubes in as well.  They ARE very refined, but I sitll prefer the OGs (at least as THE set to demo what it's all about to friends and curious onlookers.  Subject to change.)

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4,827 of 8,735
Hello Ya'll

Do any vendors discount new Audeze LCD2 rev 2's  ?

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #4,829 of 8,735
Quote:
I haven't found any that do, but Headroom Audio offered free shipping when I got mine...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Cool...
I think I have them bookmarked.

Used rev 2's last about 5 minutes when they are listed......  and the price is soo close to new, it doesn't make sense.

I just took a haircut on my HD 650's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back