Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4,096 of 8,735
Got a Lyr on the way from Schiit and some HD600s on the way from a member. Extremely excited to try the Lyr with my DT880s (250ohm) compared to my E17 (got an ODAC on the way too... lol) and see how the HD600s perform with the E17 vs the Lyr. I'm sure it will be no contest, but it will prove an interesting experiment! Not planning on getting any new tubes for a LONG time... I've spent over a grand on headphones and headphone equipment in the past 3 weeks. 
redface.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #4,097 of 8,735
Quote:
Got a Lyr on the way from Schiit and some HD600s on the way from a member. Extremely excited to try the Lyr with my DT880s (250ohm) compared to my E17 (got an ODAC on the way too... lol) and see how the HD600s perform with the E17 vs the Lyr. I'm sure it will be no contest, but it will prove an interesting experiment! Not planning on getting any new tubes for a LONG time... I've spent over a grand on headphones and headphone equipment in the past 3 weeks. 
redface.gif

You only live once, and you lose your hearing the older you get.   Enjoy it while you can. :)

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4,099 of 8,735
Quote:

Only if you don't take care of it. :wink:

Nah, I mean there are things you can do to slow the loss of hearing down at any age, but after a certain point nature pretty much assumes you don't need it as much to survive as you did when you were younger.   The loss of hearing quickly increases in comparison to your age after a certain point.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4,100 of 8,735
Quote:
And how can you explain me that the hissing is gone? I had cleaned the pins and so on but nothing helps to eliminate the hissing. But after 20hours of burn in it was gone..
But actually no matter what happens. I now have a hissing free Lorenz 3mica and I'm happy with them and don't want to sell them.

Trance_Gott

To explain to you why the hissing went away is simple when tubes get  shipped around they are analog devices tubes get  moved around the getter get's shaken up.. After usually 6-30 hours of burn in time is typically goes away.
Now this is a known issue and is on this thread and has been posted many times. I would suggest in the future you do research...

Good luck and enjoy one of the best tubes for your Lyr.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4,101 of 8,735
Quote:
Nah, I mean there are things you can do to slow the loss of hearing down at any age, but after a certain point nature pretty much assumes you don't need it as much to survive as you did when you were younger.   The loss of hearing quickly increases in comparison to your age after a certain point.

SHHHHHH!!! My hearing will always be as good as it is now. La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la... 
gs1000.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #4,102 of 8,735
So my GE's arrived today. I only just got the home and put them in my Lyr and I can already hear the difference. The bass is much more present (in a way I quite like). It feels much closer to my Heir Audio 4.A's now than it did before. I can see why they were the default tubes. I should have trusted them!

Still, now I have extras.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #4,103 of 8,735
I currently have a set of GE 6BZ7s in my Lyr which came stock with my Lyr. Im a bit curious about tube rolling and was wondering if anybody can please give me some advice on where I should start with this without spending too much right from the get go? Thanks for ur help guys :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #4,104 of 8,735
Quote:
I currently have a set of GE 6BZ7s in my Lyr which came stock with my Lyr. Im a bit curious about tube rolling and was wondering if anybody can please give me some advice on where I should start with this without spending too much right from the get go? Thanks for ur help guys :)

I was in your position a couple of months ago and read through this entire thread (took me a while, but I learned a lot...). If you can't face that approach, in my view, this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/3240#post_8394257 was one of the best summaries and this link http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8 one of the best pointers given.

Others may have a different view and I may well have missed or forgotten many equally useful thoughts...

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,105 of 8,735
Hey everyone, i'm wondering what the best tubes for the hd650s are. I've been looking through this thread, but there are just way to many tubes to make a decision. I would like to keep it under 50 if possible. If not, definitely under 100. Thanks in advance!

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4,106 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey everyone, i'm wondering what the best tubes for the hd650s are. I've been looking through this thread, but there are just way to many tubes to make a decision. I would like to keep it under 50 if possible. If not, definitely under 100. Thanks in advance!

+1

Now I am using Stock GE tubes, any suggestion will be big welcome. Looking to improve on sub-bass, a bit more extension will be awesome.

I am very much happy with imaging, speed and soundstage and with Lyr....HD-650 does not sound dark and mid-high range is perfectly placed for my liking.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #4,107 of 8,735
Quote:

My two personal favorites with the HD650s are the Miniwatt 6BQ7As (around $50) and of course the Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 (more expensive).

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4,108 of 8,735
someone is sellign some tubes in the for sale section but since im a complete noob on this, I was wondering how different they will sound comapred to the GE 6BZ7 i have in my Lyr. The tubes in question are

1. Brimar CV2492 Vintage 1960's
  2. Amperex E88CC A-Frame Orange Label & Globe Logo

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #4,109 of 8,735
Quick question:

I own mostly Audio Techinca headphones, should I get Woo Audio WA6 or Schitt Lyr considering I will not play around with tubes.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,110 of 8,735
Quote:
Quick question:

I own mostly Audio Techinca headphones, should I get Woo Audio WA6 or Schitt Lyr considering I will not play around with tubes.

WA6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back