Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,541 of 8,735
Quote:

Good point. I don't think Socket Savers degrade SQ, but it surely doesn't improve it either. I just use it to make tube rolling easier, and for the aesthetics of being able to see the tubes glow.

By the way Tubemonger has a new stock of Socket Savers for sale, so for those of you who couldn't get one because they were sold out previously, now's your chance to go grab some. According to Tubemonger, the newer batch of Socket Savers are supposedly better in quality than the previously, because the old ones had been assembled by new hires with little experience.

Ahh, that explains it. I ordered a set of Socket Savers from TubeMonger a couple of weeks ago, to see what the fuss was about. They were the cheaper ones with "cosmetic blemishes", $15 each. The second time I inserted a tube into one of the Savers, the center black section sort of collapsed and is now recessed down about 1/8", making the tubes uneven. I really don't think I was pushing too hard, as I always take my time to carefully insert the tubes. Other than that issue, I like them.

Sounds like I need to find a pair of Socket Savers that haven't been assembled by new hires.
smile.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #3,542 of 8,735
Quote:
Yah, we're all careful, but stuff happens.  I'm noot thinking much of swining 2x4s over it or anything, but headphones slip out of hands, or cables hook around a tube, or Mickey's sipping scotch and tube rolling and playing air guitar....stuff happens :)  Having the tube exposed so far out just seems like an un-needed risk since the Lyr is designed in a way that shields the tubes so well by default.  Obviously a Woo leaves them exposed by design, but if Schiit gave us a built in tube protector that still looks awesome, why not use it? :) 

I second the idea o the tube glow though, that's the one thing that would be geat about it is seeing the tube label and glow in all its glory.  'd think heat-wise the idea of moving it away from other hot components but the idea of moving it away from the only available heat sink probably cancel each other out.There's less heat near the tube, but more of that heat sits in place unless you have a lot of airflow moving over them.  Cooling by airflow is always less efficient than cooling by heat-sink. 

I lways get curious about them just for the aesthetic of it....but I end up never buying it for those reasons.

hahah Yea man, that is exactly what happens too!

I used SS one time, I actually found them to be a pain, it's not that hard to pull the tubes out of it's original sockets. And I also have a weak heater. So my tubes don't 
glow all gloriously. 
frown.gif

You could easily solve this problem by just rolling in Lorenz, they get mildly warm at best. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #3,543 of 8,735
Quote:
Yah, we're all careful, but stuff happens.  I'm noot thinking much of swining 2x4s over it or anything, but headphones slip out of hands, or cables hook around a tube, or Mickey's sipping scotch and tube rolling and playing air guitar....stuff happens :)  Having the tube exposed so far out just seems like an un-needed risk since the Lyr is designed in a way that shields the tubes so well by default.  Obviously a Woo leaves them exposed by design, but if Schiit gave us a built in tube protector that still looks awesome, why not use it? :) 

I second the idea o the tube glow though, that's the one thing that would be geat about it is seeing the tube label and glow in all its glory.  'd think heat-wise the idea of moving it away from other hot components but the idea of moving it away from the only available heat sink probably cancel each other out.There's less heat near the tube, but more of that heat sits in place unless you have a lot of airflow moving over them.  Cooling by airflow is always less efficient than cooling by heat-sink. 

I lways get curious about them just for the aesthetic of it....but I end up never buying it for those reasons.

I am not a big an of the socket savers either...could care less ,if they look cool,more concerned on how the tube sounds.
I did however buy these:
  http://www.audiotubes.com/damper.htm

I had my Lorenzes in the lyr,and when I went to install the ring...,slid all the way to the bottom of the Lyr
Had one hell of a time to get it out too?
So much for trying to look cool..
Tired the Tubemongers version,and they seemed to work ok.but I only use them on the Lorenz,because it is short tube.

A waist of money ..IMHO.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3,544 of 8,735
Quote:
I am not a big an of the socket savers either...could care less ,if they look cool,more concerned on how the tube sounds.
I did however buy these:
  http://www.audiotubes.com/damper.htm

I had my Lorenzes in the lyr,and when I went to install the ring...,slid all the way to the bottom of the Lyr
Had one hell of a time to get it out too?
So much for trying to look cool..
Tired the Tubemongers version,and they seemed to work ok.but I only use them on the Lorenz,because it is short tube.

A waist of money ..IMHO.

LMAO!
I'm soo buying those and getting them cryoed.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #3,545 of 8,735
Quote:
LMAO!
I'm soo buying those and getting them cryoed.

I got a better idea....
Cryoe  the bottle of Scotch,as mentioned above
Gulp it down ,the freak out on the lights
Now,thats .........cool.......and you will last forever.!!!

Your a riot Cory...

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,546 of 8,735
Socket savers are great man I can take burning hot tubes and just rip them out and I have in and out probably 1000 pulls and push's if not more. never had one problem. I don't care about saving the socket's as the sockets in the Lyr are rock solid I just don't want to get my tube glove to get out tubes i want to feel pain when I change tubes see I love pain I love hot tubes.. well wait I take that back I touched a 6l6 in my Messa Boogie amp the other day and ummm I have scar.. hahha... only reason I ever got them cause I flip tubes so quick with no cool down
Homey don't care not for a headphone amp ... Now a Guitar amp I ain't touchin those suckers they will kill you in more than one way..
 that reminds me I have to replace some tubes in my old Fender fun fun more maual biasing sucks assssssses

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,548 of 8,735
Quote:
Wanna send me some free tubes...I...I am a good guy also. 
tongue.gif

Maybe I should run a fun lottery type thing ask a crazy as hell question about audio and give everyone a day to come up with the best answer and start giving all these things away I mean I'm never going to use all of these things... hahah I might do that but you know I like you Paradoxer I might just send you some free "Tubes" remember "tubes" these ones have this scary skull on them
so tell me what tubes they are and they are yours :)

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,549 of 8,735
Quote:
Maybe I should run a fun lottery type thing ask a crazy as hell question about audio and give everyone a day to come up with the best answer and start giving all these things away I mean I'm never going to use all of these things... hahah I might do that but you know I like you Paradoxer I might just send you some free "Tubes" remember "tubes" these ones have this scary skull on them
so tell me what tubes they are and they are yours :)

Whoah! I didn't ask for no stinking contest! I want things for free! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Are the skulls rectifiers?

Edit: You and your damn riddles! Why did I give into it. 
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,550 of 8,735
Quote:
I got a better idea....
Cryoe  the bottle of Scotch,as mentioned above
Gulp it down ,the freak out on the lights
Now,thats .........cool.......and you will last forever.!!!

Your a riot Cory...

Na, I am just gonna go do bath salts and eat human face....

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,551 of 8,735
Quote:
Whoah! I didn't ask for no stinking contest! I want things for free! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Are the skulls rectifiers?

Edit: You and your damn riddles! Why did I give into it. 
confused.gif

Easy,easy boys..lets not fight..

Paradoxper,...,I'll  send you down a pair of my 6CG7's...FREE.......no,you cant have the blackplate version

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,552 of 8,735
Quote:
Easy,easy boys..lets not fight..

Paradoxper,...,I'll  send you down a pair of my 6CG7's...FREE.......no,you cant have the blackplate version

I'm just teasing. Just send me down those pair to test. I am really wondering if anyone else could possibly
solve Scary's riddle. I'm stumped. 
mad.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,554 of 8,735
HK,

What is the other pair you have ...NOT the tubemongers,and,
Are you able to bend them slightly so,they will not slide down the tube..they look interesting & do they really keep the tube cooler??.
I could definetly use them is so,my desktop with amp,computer,dac,and wide panel NEC monitor gets pretty hot after a few hours...even withe the AC on high.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,555 of 8,735
Quote:
HK,

What is the other pair you have ...NOT the tubemongers,and,
Are you able to bend them slightly so,they will not slide down the tube..they look interesting & do they really keep the tube cooler??.
I could definetly use them is so,my desktop with amp,computer,dac,and wide panel NEC monitor gets pretty hot after a few hours...even withe the AC on high.

Not even big power tubes will throw the kind of heat those NEC IPS panels throw.  I don't think the tubes are at issue :) 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back