Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,527 of 8,735
Quote:
My LCD 2's are rev2's--wish i could figure out this hum though....

Jack

The hum sounds like some form of microphonics.  I had a set of really nasty microphonic JJapanese 6BZ7s that started getting really noisy including but not limited to a hum.  A few days ago my Mullards started humming nastily.   I grabbed the tube glove and pushed down a little...it sems heat etc had wiggled the pins slightly out of the sicket, I could feel it reseat a little deeper and it's been fine since.  You may just want to try reseating them or, if you haven't yet, switch which one is right/left...maybe something just isn't agreeing iwth the socket as-is.  It could just be its nature, like Daily said too.

The thing more annoying than hum is high pitched whining/ringing.  That's what got me to leave the 6BZ7 line to begin with.  

Thanks for your insight on the Nationals vs mullards (you and HK), i may look away from the 6922 Nationals or the time being then, though the National PCC88scould be an option still.  

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #3,528 of 8,735
I've been using the Tubemonger socket savers and Herbies Dampers for a good while and have had no humming problems.  I would definitely say they helped, but I can't guarantee they'll resolve your issues.
Worth a try though...

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3,529 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry yeah I have the socket savers from tubemonger in to give the tubes a boost

How do you think the socket savers boost the tubes? just curious I mean I have had mine god over a year I dont think they boost mine.. at all.. What are they boosting the only thing that is good about them is taking out tubes I mean since I play guitar my finger tips are so callused that I just grab hot tubes and remove them I don't even wait for them to cool down but them being out of the case of the Lyr in theory they run a bit cooler so I guess maybe the cooler temperature may increase life span how much who knows... but boost any other way is tomtrickery

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3,531 of 8,735
Quote:
IE M Crazy-I will give it my best shot--

Previously by far my favorite tubes were the Nationals with my LCD 2's-now having listened to the Mullards for about 5 hours-remember they are used so I have no idea how many hours there are on them and barring the slight background hum which I do not hear while playing music I find them to be more open, slightly wider soundstage, more bass impact and overall clearer & cleaner & smoother, with the vocals more up front in my head---seems to have brought my LCD2's to a different level where as my other tube rolling (all 3 ****t variations some other 6b7's & the Nationals) just seemed to alter things slightly....

Overall a step up in the total aural experience for me....Liking them a whole lot with the LCD2's

Just don't get what the hum is all about though!!

Jack

The Mullards all of them in general are good tubes.. They are far beyond the National's the Mullards are known to recess a bit of the highs not alot just a tad.. They are typically warm sounding and all around good tubes as HK said.. I roll through them every once in a blue moon I have all of them.
but I will probably sell some soon... with the noise you are hearing it can be alot of things... who did you get these Mullards from? sometimes in shipping tubes get rattled around and they will be noisty for a bit I doubt that is your case.. As it sounds like you have been playing them a while I have shipped tubes and had people say "Ohh god" one is noisy I tell them run music through them for 8 hours if that doesn't do it then you are probably stuck with it... However, let me give you the quirkiness of tubes... I have some Amperex something's that were nosy as hell and all I did was get some detoxit... Get out my trusty electronic cleaner clean the tube savers spray the hell out of the Lyr and put them back in... Still had the noise... so I thought they were a wash.. Well two days later I put them back in and now they have no noise.. So hahaha the variables are crazy.. Remember one thing with tubes of any kind they are odd beasts ... In larger tubes I have had brand new EL34's that one tube for some reason would just act nutz and one of my amp uses lets see 4 AX7's and 4 X EL34's so I almost sent them back I had gotten ready to bias the power tubes (EL34's) and that one tube was real dim etc for the hell of it I just took it out then put them all back in randomly suddenly its working fine and all of them are working fine.. So I take the amp apart go through the deadly Bias procedure and they are fine have been for about 6 months now.. So they are quirky.. Never seen to have probs with AX7's but knock on Glass I probably will but they are cheap so I don't care if they go or not... just some examples man of weirdness remember these things work in the analog world.. Based upon mechanical means.. Thats why eons ago they slowly starting going to solid state. As in general solid state is more stable and has fewer variables and last way longer.. :wink:

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #3,532 of 8,735
Quote:
 I bought a few pairs {about 10?} on ebay,and I find them very good ..on the Lyr,with both the Lcd's & hd650's..I will let  the tech report to a more learned member.  {MrRogers...& MrScary.....anyone?}

Prices on ebay are all over the map.

Today ordered another pair from Brent Jesse.these are not the clear tops.....,I am curious about the Blackplates...I've heard,that some users believe that they give better SQ...also..I may be mistaken,but I think they were made in the mid 50's??..please correct me on this..

With my chain,I have been listening to them ,on & off for about 2 weeks,and I'm very impressed SQ,& Prices.

Of course now,prices will start to shoot up...

10 Pairs of what Mike sorry I have been busy have not had a chance to hang around dong alot session work and mixing and with my Day time job Im going nutz?

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3,533 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, you can try some Gold Lions, Amperex, Mullard CV2493's, Nationals as stated above a few post. 

I'd honestly say you're not missing out on that much or enough to really worry about it. If you're liking what you're hearing with the tubes you've rolled, that's awesome! 

I personally feel the Mullards are the best quality tubes that don't break the bank I.e Siemens, Lorenz.

Don't forget the Tesla E88CC's you can pick these up at very good prices and they are very good tubes. They are highly regarded tubes and not expensive.  I would say this that the Tesla's are IMHO best for closed headphones and have awesome bass but it all depends on your signal chain :wink: Ohh almost forgot if you do decide to grab some E88CC Tesla's only get the older 60's not the 70's :wink:

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3,534 of 8,735
Well a friend of mine wanted some inexpensive tubes but descent tubes and he has closed phones so he tried a bunch of mine that I lent him.. only the ones 100.00 or less
so he really like the Amperex Large O getters.. So I went on a quest to find some cheap wasn't giving him mine I like them sometimes hahaha.. So I found a set for a steal
so I order them from ebay the guy sends them and they are so jacked up that there is a funny color light in them hahah serious.. So I contact him yell well not yell but
escalate to him how unhappy I am in a very very mean way... So he apologizes says to send the tubes back so I say "NO" I say you send me tubes first or I will reverse the charges
on the card.. hahah me no play... Anway so he says "Well Im going to send you some extra tubes these are so great"  So he send's the replacements I slap them in the Lyr they are fine burn them in over night contact by buddy and just give them to him hes a good guy.. Anyway so I finally decided to see what these suprise tubes are so I open up the the tubes now this guy doesn't just wrap tubes I mean he basically had wire around them no joke first they were wrapped in some bizzarre mesh of white stuff then taped with duct tape.. Then put in a plastic bag then rubber bands were around them then he put this weird as heck metal thing around them then taped them again.. So it takes me seriously like 10 minutes to get them out.. And what do i see Toshiba tubes..
So I think hmmmm.. So I put them in the Lyr let them warm up maybe 10 minutes then put on my LCD's first well what I hear is something like between a Russian 6N1p a Brimar that is on fire and
some JJ's.. well that lasted about 2 songs...  so beware of suprises hahahaha... :)

■─■

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #3,535 of 8,735
Quote:
Well a friend of mine wanted some inexpensive tubes but descent tubes and he has closed phones so he tried a bunch of mine that I lent him.. only the ones 100.00 or less
so he really like the Amperex Large O getters.. So I went on a quest to find some cheap wasn't giving him mine I like them sometimes hahaha.. So I found a set for a steal
so I order them from ebay the guy sends them and they are so jacked up that there is a funny color light in them hahah serious.. So I contact him yell well not yell but
escalate to him how unhappy I am in a very very mean way... So he apologizes says to send the tubes back so I say "NO" I say you send me tubes first or I will reverse the charges
on the card.. hahah me no play... Anway so he says "Well Im going to send you some extra tubes these are so great"  So he send's the replacements I slap them in the Lyr they are fine burn them in over night contact by buddy and just give them to him hes a good guy.. Anyway so I finally decided to see what these suprise tubes are so I open up the the tubes now this guy doesn't just wrap tubes I mean he basically had wire around them no joke first they were wrapped in some bizzarre mesh of white stuff then taped with duct tape.. Then put in a plastic bag then rubber bands were around them then he put this weird as heck metal thing around them then taped them again.. So it takes me seriously like 10 minutes to get them out.. And what do i see Toshiba tubes..
So I think hmmmm.. So I put them in the Lyr let them warm up maybe 10 minutes then put on my LCD's first well what I hear is something like between a Russian 6N1p a Brimar that is on fire and
some JJ's.. well that lasted about 2 songs...  so beware of suprises hahahaha... :)

■─■

Wanna send me some free tubes...I...I am a good guy also. 
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,536 of 8,735
Quote:
How do you think the socket savers boost the tubes? just curious I mean I have had mine god over a year I dont think they boost mine.. at all.. What are they boosting the only thing that is good about them is taking out tubes I mean since I play guitar my finger tips are so callused that I just grab hot tubes and remove them I don't even wait for them to cool down but them being out of the case of the Lyr in theory they run a bit cooler so I guess maybe the cooler temperature may increase life span how much who knows... but boost any other way is tomtrickery

The idea of socket savers doesn't agree with me.  The idea of the tube sticking out so far means to me more chance of knocking something into them accidentally and breaking the tube, the amp, or both.  Plus ading mixed metals between the pins doesn't sound to me like they'd help SQ at all.  There were some pages a few eons ago I think on this thread where a miswired socket saver was frying nice tubes.  I use a tube glove so removing tubes is no problem at all as-is, and the SS sounds almost worse since you'd have to hold it down with a stick so it doesn't just pop out with the tube anyway.  

But the worst that I've never been able to deduce is heat.  You said ti may run cooler which sounds like a good deal, but does it actually reduce heat?  Sure its away from the transformer and MOSFETS, but since the chassis is little more than a gigantic heat sink, wouldn't keeping the tubes closer to the sink actually pull heat away from them more than leaving them exposed in dead air? 

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3,537 of 8,735
Quote:
The idea of socket savers doesn't agree with me.  The idea of the tube sticking out so far means to me more chance of knocking something into them accidentally and breaking the tube, the amp, or both.  Plus ading mixed metals between the pins doesn't sound to me like they'd help SQ at all.  There were some pages a few eons ago I think on this thread where a miswired socket saver was frying nice tubes.  I use a tube glove so removing tubes is no problem at all as-is, and the SS sounds almost worse since you'd have to hold it down with a stick so it doesn't just pop out with the tube anyway.  

But the worst that I've never been able to deduce is heat.  You said ti may run cooler which sounds like a good deal, but does it actually reduce heat?  Sure its away from the transformer and MOSFETS, but since the chassis is little more than a gigantic heat sink, wouldn't keeping the tubes closer to the sink actually pull heat away from them more than leaving them exposed in dead air? 

Good point. I don't think Socket Savers degrade SQ, but it surely doesn't improve it either. I just use it to make tube rolling easier, and for the aesthetics of being able to see the tubes glow.

By the way Tubemonger has a new stock of Socket Savers for sale, so for those of you who couldn't get one because they were sold out previously, now's your chance to go grab some. According to Tubemonger, the newer batch of Socket Savers are supposedly better in quality than the previously, because the old ones had been assembled by new hires with little experience.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3,538 of 8,735
Quote:

That may be a good point but I think most people here are careful with their prized possessions. Plus they do look much nicer when you're fully able to see the glow. ( I don't use these)
I believe that instance was isolated, I have not heard of any other damages linked with using socket savers. (Wasn't there also incidents with triode flippers?)

I used SS and didn't find it to reduce heat enough to a noticeable degree. Same thing applies when raising the Lyr with different feet. Plus
tube amps are suppose to run hot, so I just let it do its thing.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,539 of 8,735
Quote:
10 Pairs of what Mike sorry I have been busy have not had a chance to hang around dong alot session work and mixing and with my Day time job Im going nutz?

Of the 6CG7's,from a few different ebay sellers.
As posted above ,got a pair of the blackplates from Brent Jesse

Good to see you back posting !!!

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,540 of 8,735
Quote:
That may be a good point but I think most people here are careful with their prized possessions. Plus they do look much nicer when you're fully able to see the glow. ( I don't use these)
I believe that instance was isolated, I have not heard of any other damages linked with using socket savers. (Wasn't there also incidents with triode flippers?)

I used SS and didn't find it to reduce heat enough to a noticeable degree. Same thing applies when raising the Lyr with different feet. Plus
tube amps are suppose to run hot, so I just let it do its thing.

Yah, we're all careful, but stuff happens.  I'm noot thinking much of swining 2x4s over it or anything, but headphones slip out of hands, or cables hook around a tube, or Mickey's sipping scotch and tube rolling and playing air guitar....stuff happens :)  Having the tube exposed so far out just seems like an un-needed risk since the Lyr is designed in a way that shields the tubes so well by default.  Obviously a Woo leaves them exposed by design, but if Schiit gave us a built in tube protector that still looks awesome, why not use it? :) 

I second the idea o the tube glow though, that's the one thing that would be geat about it is seeing the tube label and glow in all its glory.  'd think heat-wise the idea of moving it away from other hot components but the idea of moving it away from the only available heat sink probably cancel each other out.There's less heat near the tube, but more of that heat sits in place unless you have a lot of airflow moving over them.  Cooling by airflow is always less efficient than cooling by heat-sink. 

I lways get curious about them just for the aesthetic of it....but I end up never buying it for those reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back