Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #31 of 8,735
So the $20 tube from Schiit is mid forward and bassier? I'm assuming treble is a little smoother? This could actually suit the HE-4 better than the stock tubes as the treble is pretty sharp though I love it.. Guess I'll have to order them now, though I'm not sure about the reduced soundstage, as the HE-4 doesn't have a big soundstage to begin with.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #32 of 8,735
Just wanted to check.  It appears that those people that love the Schiit Sovtek 6N1P tubes are mainly using Orthodynamic cans. 

I never bothered listening for too long with my K702, as the HE6 sound so great, but they didnt seem to suffer any reduced performance over the Gold Lions. 

Schiit offers such great value for tubes (and the Lyr) to be sold as a Matched pair for $20.

I wish Jason would hurry up and start the pre-order for his DACS.  I only had to wait on preorder for three months for the Lyr.  I have been waiting at least 2 months now for the DAC and it hasnt even come close to pre-order.  dohh...  Did I tell anyone that I am impatient when it comes to these kind of things.....  :)

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #33 of 8,735

Quote:
So the $20 tube from Schiit is mid forward and bassier? I'm assuming treble is a little smoother? This could actually suit the HE-4 better than the stock tubes as the treble is pretty sharp though I love it.. Guess I'll have to order them now, though I'm not sure about the reduced soundstage, as the HE-4 doesn't have a big soundstage to begin with.

Other than some of your comments about liking very bright treble, and me not personally listened to the HE4 before, I actually had in mind that the Schiit tubes will suit you well.  Coming from stock tubes you should find lifted mids with greater detail and still retain the strength of the bass.  IMO the Gold Lions seemed to weaken the bass slightly.  It was a little tighter than the stock tubes but not as much energy to it.

The stock tubes did improve significantly IMO with top end sparkle after quite a long burn in. 

The Schiit 6N1P tubes have at least the same level of detail and top end of the Gold lions but re-introduced the powerful bottom end and removed that somewhat distant feeling, veiled??, that both the stock tubes and the Gold Lions had.

For $20 I bet that you cant not try them...  :)  You should be pretty happy though if my interpretation of your comments is close.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #34 of 8,735
Well it doesn't have to be very bright treble, but it does need to have sparkle. My complaint with the Lyr was with the D7000 which had noticably recessed mids with stock tubes compared to the D7000 witht the E9 which was quite well matched, and had some impressive mids to my ears.

With the HE-4, I don't find the mids lacking, but I could see the top end being overly bright for some. Softening the treble just a little probably would still have the sparkle I like and push the mids even more slightly forward.

I will order them asap.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #39 of 8,735
This is the tube that Schiit sells in matched pairs with warranty for $20 a pair.  Awesome value for Lyr owners.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #41 of 8,735
I can tell some of you guys weren't raised in the era of tubes. They produce heat, that is the nature of the beast. They have heaters which have a cathode then grid and a plate (for these small signal tubes). It isn't like they are a heater warming the room. Televisions used to be nothing but tubes and somehow people go along with it. Now this amp has two, just two, tubes. Really, while the tubes get hot and the case around them does some, that is part of living with tubes. Try having a couple of mono block amplifiers with 12 6550's glowing. Two 6N1P's is nothing. 

Enjoy the music. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #42 of 8,735
Just put in my order for the 6N1P tubes. Already got me rolling....bums.
angry_face.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #43 of 8,735
I can tell some of you guys weren't raised in the era of tubes. They produce heat, that is the nature of the beast. They have heaters which have a cathode then grid and a plate (for these small signal tubes). It isn't like they are a heater warming the room. Televisions used to be nothing but tubes and somehow people go along with it. Now this amp has two, just two, tubes. Really, while the tubes get hot and the case around them does some, that is part of living with tubes. Try having a couple of mono block amplifiers with 12 6550's glowing. Two 6N1P's is nothing. 

Enjoy the music. 

I agree. Whilst the tubes are hot and the heat does conduct through the heat up the case to about 50 degrees celcius. To avoid tubes is about as crazy as refusing to drink hot coffee. Both are awesome if done right.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #44 of 8,735
Quote:

Enjoy the music. 

I don't get why people make big deal about this sort of stuff either.

I have 5 tubes on my desk.  The largest is more than 21" inches across and along with its supporting electronics it draws nearly 150W.  It delivers a signal, that in some areas, remains unmatched by any sensibly priced "modern" alternatives.  You've likely owned similar products in the past as well.

Any guesses?

Answer here.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #45 of 8,735
You tube rollers must have amazing memories and golden ears to be able to ascertain all the SQ differences between the various tubes.
I couldn't do it.  I'd have to have 2 units side by side, with matched levels, identical sources and headphones, and do some quick A/B comparisons to be able to describe the differences ... if at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back