Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 8,735
What is really frustrating is all my tubes are so far away and I have so many varieties of these different ones I would like to try. So out here on this island I have to buy what I may want all over again at higher prices and tubes I don't really need to buy. Well you can never have enough of the glowing glass wonders! lol

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 8,735
Can anyone with Valhalla tubes comment on how they sound with the Lyr in comparison to the stock ones? About the only thing missing from the stock tubes is a little aggression for my taste. Mids could be better, but I wouldn't sacrifice their treble as its already to the point where any smoother would hurt it for my taste, at least with the headphones I own.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 8,735

Quote:
Cool! Good point about the 6N1p I should have thought of that. Anyway I have a nice pair of RCA 6BQ7A that I will try when get my Lyr.

I was pondering the HP rabbit hole depth, and after looking at your HP gear pics, I realize it goes just as deep as traditional HT gear.  Nice collection!
tongue_smile.gif
  I'm convinced you need a larger tube collection.
atsmile.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 8,735
Just received 6N1P from Schiit today. My first impression is exactly like what Kremer930 described before. It suits HE-6 very very well. Moving from EF5 to Lyr, the only thing i missed was the mids. Lyr with stock tubes just seemed a little bit dry. Now with the 6N1P vocal becomes a lot more intimate. The sound stage does seem to shrink just a little bit maybe due to the increasing presence of the mids.

and YES, it's super HOT. now i am wondering what i am going to do during summer. might have to put a fan next to it. hehe.....i was told there was an amp caught on fire during the NYC spring meet. def don't want that happen to my Lyr. :)

Kremer930, huge thanks to you. This is the reason why Head-fi is so great.

Also thank Schiit for offering these tube at such reasonable price with fantastic shipping.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 8,735
Just received 6N1P from Schiit today. My first impression is exactly like what Kremer930 described before. It suits HE-6 very very well. Moving from EF5 to Lyr, the only thing i missed was the mids. Lyr with stock tubes just seemed a little bit dry. Now with the 6N1P vocal becomes a lot more intimate. The sound stage does seem to shrink just a little bit maybe due to the increasing presence of the mids.

and YES, it's super HOT. now i am wondering what i am going to do during summer. might have to put a fan next to it. hehe.....i was told there was an amp caught on fire during the NYC spring meet. def don't want that happen to my Lyr. :)

Also thank Schiit for offering these tube at such reasonable price with fantastic shipping.

Awesome. Glad you like them. My favourite changes versus the gold lions is the overall unveiling and the more powerful bass. For $20 they are a must have.

Thanks to Jason for originally providing a set to me.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #25 of 8,735
I rolled in a pair of 6N1P Sovtek tubes 4 days ago.  Not terribly impressed, although the midrange is an improvement over the stock JJ's, however the low frequencies are lacking.

Ordered a matched pair 6N1P's direct from Russia.  I wasn't expecting a whole lot since they cost $2.00 ea, and the only signage is OTK, which is military spec tube.  First impressions; they're the best (JJ's, Sovtek, Gold Lion) balanced tube I've rolled in the Lyr to date, however, they're only hours old.  Time will tell, but I'm giddy with excitement.

Cans:  AH-DM5000/AKG-K701
Source: Squeezebox Touch
Media:  WMA Lossless
BBE 422 Sonic Maximizer
Amp: Schiit Lyr

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #28 of 8,735

Awesome. Glad you like them. My favourite changes versus the gold lions is the overall unveiling and the more powerful bass. For $20 they are a must have.

Thanks to Jason for originally providing a set to me.

Well I just rolled the Shiit 6N1P tubes into my Lyr and I agree its like a veil has been lifted they sound much better than the Gold Lions, better bass and the mids sound good, the GL's have a veil to them that is hard to describe. So far I am very impressed with the sound. they do run Hot though I touched one and went ouch! hahahaha
I have some GE 6DJ8 ECC88 tubes that I just got on Jamato8's suggestion so Im going to try them laterz.

:D

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #30 of 8,735
There were different tube manufacture sites for the production of the 6N1P as well as different versions and periods of time when the sound produced was different due to varying manufacture quality control standards. I had a friend who was an engineer that worked with tubes in the USSR. He explained a number of years ago to me, the different 6N1P types and the reason for the different sounds as well as differing quality within the same designation. Just like tubes from the US, there was a golden age and one that was devoted more on just getting the tube out the door. Since the 6N1P as a tube was used longer in circuits, later in the 20th century, than tubes in the US, because of military use, they are often still of higher quality than the corresponding time period of tube production in the US and other areas. Tubes were still being produced in the USSR long after almost all tube production had ceased in most other countries. 

So there will be variables and obviously, with this, sound differences in the 6N1P, not only with EV or IV or E designations but on production facility and when they were produced. A general sound quality can be described for the 6N1P but not in absolute terms. There are 6N1P's with better bass performance and some that are dry and a little gritty in the upper frequencies. I find the best to be from the mid sixties in black flat plate but they are nearly impossible to find now. To me the tube just mentioned a 6N1Pe, is the most balanced and smoothest sounding but it also has a slightly different design because of application, which was in pure analog circuits. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back