Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #91 of 1,331
@Jigetz @kdoof @j0val Any more impressions now that you've had the Lyr+ for a while? Doesn't seem like there's many others willing to take the plunge on it.

I’m curious about how well the Lyr+ is selling. I haven’t seen that many impressions yet. The Schiit website still has shipping between 1 and 3 days. Probably just too early.

So far, I’m still really enjoying my Lyr+. The detail/resolution is the most noticeable benefit compared to the Lyr 3. As a result of the added detail, I feel like it gives more of a perceived difference in sound when swapping tubes, which makes tube rolling more enjoyable. Additionally, it’s pretty satisfying interacting with the volume knob or remote.

My only gripe is that it’s missing a bit of warmth that the Lyr 3 had. However, I feel like it’s a welcome trade off overall for detail and I can likely get some of it back with the right tube.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #92 of 1,331
I’m curious about how well the Lyr+ is selling. I haven’t seen that many impressions yet. The Schiit website still has shipping between 1 and 3 days. Probably just too early.

So far, I’m still really enjoying my Lyr+. The detail/resolution is the most noticeable benefit compared to the Lyr 3. As a result of the added detail, I feel like it gives more of a perceived difference in sound when swapping tubes, which makes tube rolling more enjoyable. Additionally, it’s pretty satisfying interacting with the volume knob or remote.

My only gripe is that it’s missing a bit of warmth that the Lyr 3 had. However, I feel like it’s a welcome trade off overall for detail and I can likely get some of it back with the right tube.
I have and enjoy the Lyr 3 and I'm interested in the Lyr+ but I get a bit concerned when I read things like 'added detail' and 'missing a bit of warmth'. This makes it sound like the Lyr+ is a slightly brighter-sounding amp than the Lyr 3. I need to bring one of my own headphones to the Schiitr for a listening session in order to make up my mind.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #93 of 1,331
I have and enjoy the Lyr 3 and I'm interested in the Lyr+ but I get a bit concerned when I read things like 'added detail' and 'missing a bit of warmth'. This makes it sound like the Lyr+ is a slightly brighter-sounding amp than the Lyr 3. I need to bring one of my own headphones to the Schiitr for a listening session in order to make up my mind.

Definitely a good idea. The Lyr+ is a good amp, but just a different flavor (compared to Lyr 3).

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #94 of 1,331
I just went through the entire list of products on the Schiit site and everything shows 1-3 days, even the FV and Tyr. I'm not so sure I would read too much into this.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #95 of 1,331
Bring your own tube, too. New Tung-Sol and JJ 6SN7s both tend to be a bit on the clinical/cold side, comparatively speaking. Many of the NOS and some of the new Chinese tubes are more...well, tubey. OTOH, you might find the depletion-mode MOSFETs on the Lyr+'s SS alter ego to be warmer than many other SS headphone amps.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #96 of 1,331
Bring your own tube, too. New Tung-Sol and JJ 6SN7s both tend to be a bit on the clinical/cold side, comparatively speaking. Many of the NOS and some of the new Chinese tubes are more...well, tubey. OTOH, you might find the depletion-mode MOSFETs on the Lyr+'s SS alter ego to be warmer than many other SS headphone amps.
Good advice - thanks! I love the Psvane 'tennis ball' tube with the Lyr 3.

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #97 of 1,331
I haven't touched my source gear in a while. I currently have an Element 3 for my "easy" setup and when I want to get into it more I go for my BF2 > Quicksilver Headamp. Mostly use that to pair with my ZMF Headphones. I sold off my Lyr 3 and Jot 2 since I found the QS to be much better for ZMF Headphones and the Element 3 just works clean for everything else. Then I went researching...

Looks like Schiit released a new Lyr and BF2! RIP wallet since I'm getting upgraditis again. Though this would be more "side grade" maybe with the Lyr+...maybe downgrade, or just a different option to the QS...not sure. BF2/64 looks like I can just get the card and upgrade my current BF2, which I probably will do, but the 10-12 week wait is tough.

Anyone on here have some impressions of the Lyr+ vs some higher end tubes? Maybe Feliks or...by chance my Quicksilver? Or even higher I guess. I saw the one response about comparisons with Lyr 3 and Jot 2 and Lyr+ sounds really intriguing!

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #98 of 1,331
I haven't touched my source gear in a while. I currently have an Element 3 for my "easy" setup and when I want to get into it more I go for my BF2 > Quicksilver Headamp. Mostly use that to pair with my ZMF Headphones. I sold off my Lyr 3 and Jot 2 since I found the QS to be much better for ZMF Headphones and the Element 3 just works clean for everything else. Then I went researching...

Looks like Schiit released a new Lyr and BF2! RIP wallet since I'm getting upgraditis again. Though this would be more "side grade" maybe with the Lyr+...maybe downgrade, or just a different option to the QS...not sure. BF2/64 looks like I can just get the card and upgrade my current BF2, which I probably will do, but the 10-12 week wait is tough.

Anyone on here have some impressions of the Lyr+ vs some higher end tubes? Maybe Feliks or...by chance my Quicksilver? Or even higher I guess. I saw the one response about comparisons with Lyr 3 and Jot 2 and Lyr+ sounds really intriguing!

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #99 of 1,331
I am also considering the upgrade to my BF2. I thought it odd that the latest upgraded version of BF2 is only $100.00 more compared to the original BF2, but the card to upgrade is $300.00. I could see $150- $200, but three hundred seems a bit high. That’s also kind of why I’m watching and checking out reviews on the new LYR+. A month or three after I purchase one there surely will be changes to the volume pot (relay ladder volume control) or maybe a tube heater off option.
JMTC

TD

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #100 of 1,331
I just put in an order for one. I was wondering if the relay switching has any issues with using adapters? I have a ton of tubes and would love to be able to use them all

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #102 of 1,331
The Lyr 3+ looks nifty. Wondering if a Mjolnir 3 is in the works....
I think I read somewhere that Schiit is straying away from the Mjolnir footprint size for a headphone amp (Folkvangr was the exception), so I think a Mjolnir 3 is unlikely. Hopefully I’m mistaken. Otherwise, the Lyr+ is what we’re getting for awhile.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #103 of 1,331

Apparently the Mjolnir didn't sell very well...

From the Lyr+ FAQ page:

But I want balanced and tubes and—
Yeah. We did that. It was called Mjolnir. It was big and inconvenient and we couldn’t move it with bran.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #104 of 1,331
I think I read somewhere that Schiit is straying away from the Mjolnir footprint size for a headphone amp (Folkvangr was the exception), so I think a Mjolnir 3 is unlikely. Hopefully I’m mistaken. Otherwise, the Lyr+ is what we’re getting for awhile.

2021 Apr 16
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5012#post-16300706
(No imminent Mjolnir 3. Bold added)
Hey all,

I'm back in California for a while, so I figured I'd give you an update.

First, we are producing speaker amps like crazy--you'll be seeing the backorders shrink for Aegir, Vidar, and Ragnarok 2 over the next week or so as we get caught up, and the intent is to eventually get to 1-3 day shipping for all speaker power amps. This would be a first for us--these products have almost always been 7-10 days.

Second, we're building black Freya+es and seeing if anyone wants one to help clear those backorders (lots of silver orders, silver tops we are still waiting for.)

Third, we're increasing capacity again, adding additional runs at new Utah PCB assembly houses to help meet demand.

All of this stuff should help get us out of the deep backorders, get us shipping more consistently, and allow us to fully open some channels (distributors, Amazon). But again, this takes time, and it also requires no surprises in planning. There have been a lot of surprises lately, though things seem to be getting better as far as the supply chain goes.

Finally, I must announce the imminent demise of Mjolnir 2. As in, it will be dropped from the product line with no planned successor.

"Why? Why are you doing such a terrible thing?" you might ask. "I always liked Mjolnir 2!"

So did I. I still have one at home.

But there's several problems with Mjolnir 2, not least of which is that the performance of Jotunheim 2 is now so good--in a smaller, more convenient amp. Also, Mjolnir 2 uses complex transformers that are hard to get right, have long lead times, and can be variable. So it's going away.

"Will you ever do something like Mjolnir 2 again?" you ask.

As of now, we don't have a Mjolnir 3 on the books. I've played with ideas, including ones you expect (tube hybrid with Nexus and Continuity, which did not work because the tubes can't match precisely enough, and a differential operational point servo "fought" the other operational point servos, resulting in unreliable start-up) and some you probably didn't (back to solid state with relay volume and two card slots, or a differential version of Coherence, both of which weren't all that exciting).

And, here's the thing: Mjolnir 2 is huge. Any Mjolnir 3 would either be (a) the same size, not desktop friendly, or (b) a weird size that doesn't match everything we make. I'd love to go back in time and make all the "large midsize" gear not as wide, but I don't have a direct line to any rogue Time Lords. So that means we're stuck with a size that may make sense in a rack, but not so much on a desk. That's probably one reason why Mjolnir 2 was, ahem, less popular than it might have been.

So, say farewell to Mjolnir 2. If you already have one, don't worry--we'll still service and repair them for the foreseeable future (hell, we're still repairing 10+ year old Asgards to this day). And if you want one, you have a small window to pick one up before they go away. Though honestly, after living with Jotunheim 2, it's really hard to justify. But then again, I'm cheap...and I like my desk space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back