Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,076 of 5,226
Hi all, recently got a Lyr 3 and am starting to try out some tube rolling. Currently have both the stock (russian NOS and Tung-Sol) tubes (early impressions have me preferring the russian NOS for my Elex), and a PSvane UK 6SN7 is on the way. I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on how the Westinghouse 6SN7 GTB (d-getter) sounds in comparison to these, as I am looking for something more warm-leaning than the stock tubes for the Elex (I believe I read the westinghouse was on the warm side...not sure if anyone has done any compares with the PSvane). Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3,077 of 5,226
I should sell all my Lyr 3 tubes. One of these days I'll get a list together and post.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #3,078 of 5,226
Hi all, recently got a Lyr 3 and am starting to try out some tube rolling. Currently have both the stock (russian NOS and Tung-Sol) tubes (early impressions have me preferring the russian NOS for my Elex), and a PSvane UK 6SN7 is on the way. I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on how the Westinghouse 6SN7 GTB (d-getter) sounds in comparison to these, as I am looking for something more warm-leaning than the stock tubes for the Elex (I believe I read the westinghouse was on the warm side...not sure if anyone has done any compares with the PSvane). Thanks for your time!

Westinghouse D has a touch of warmth but it more or less neutral to my ears.

Warm tubes: MELZ 1578, Brimar 6SN7, Sylvania Bad Boy, RCA 5692

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #3,079 of 5,226
Did someone say...Bad Boys?

I have 3 pair of "the real deal" 3-hole Sylvania 6SN7 bad boys, all 1952's. Thinking I will keep one pair, but sell off the other 2 pair, or even split up into singles for the Lyr3.

Food for thought. :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #3,082 of 5,226
That looks like a damn good price for 2. Shame it is sold now, mine was 120 for 2...

And they are both dead in less than 6 months due to heater failure! Tempted to go for a paypal refund as they definitely weren't NOS! The second tube I started using after the first one died the other week only lasted about 3 days!!!

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,083 of 5,226
@attmci Without measurements? Worthless, IMO.

But what do I know? I'm just a Oldskool head-fier that shakes my head when I see mismatched 2- hole chrome domes being sold off as real bad boys.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #3,084 of 5,226
That looks like a damn good price for 2. Shame it is sold now, mine was 120 for 2...

And they are both dead in less than 6 months due to heater failure! Tempted to go for a paypal refund as they definitely weren't NOS! The second tube I started using after the first one died the other week only lasted about 3 days!!!
Sorry for that. That's the risk of buying vintage tubes from the eastbay.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #3,085 of 5,226

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,087 of 5,226
I've seen 4 types of sellers on ebay
1. Includes test results with references to new values
2. Includes test results but quotes the fail value as the "good" one e.g. 6mA for 6sn7 when it's actually 9.0
3. Says it's tested without providing results
4. No test

I only buy from 1 and occasionally 2 if I know the actual nos value.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #3,088 of 5,226

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,089 of 5,226
Sorry for that. That's the risk of buying vintage tubes from the eastbay.

1. Includes test results with references to new values
2. Includes test results but quotes the fail value as the "good" one e.g. 6mA for 6sn7 when it's actually 9.0
2.5 Says it's tested, provides results, but provides no reference to those results (minimum good, new, tester used, etc)
3. Says it's tested without providing results
4. No test

Yes this was a case of number 2.5 and I don't really have enough knowledge to know any better to be honest, I am much more of a casual tube addict lol. I am seeing if Paypal will help me out at all though as $165 for 1 tube that lasted a few months of rare use until failure followed by only a couple of weeks before failure in the same usage for the second tube reeks of miss selling to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back