Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 10, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #91 of 5,226
It is impossible to grab the base, before the tube comes out of the socket. I have tried, and by the time you get the base above the opening to grab, the tube is already out of the socket. I could see loose bases, being a problem, if you plan on rolling a bunch. I have a couple and I am concerned and will save these tubes for, when all my good ones have been used. I also put super glue (zap a gap), on one of them, and it no longer is loose. I don't know how long this will hold, but it is better than nothing.

Maybe a socket saver or extender can help?

May 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #92 of 5,226
I am going to make a prediction based on my findings with my Lyr 3. . .KenRad VT-231 (staggered plates) is going to be the favorite tube of many. This tube does so many things right. The impact of the bass is the first thing of note, and will be the tube for the bassheads (me included). Next is the midrange, that is smooth without being to far back. The top end is extended with just a touch of air. This tube is slightly dark, but still has really good detail and is very euphonic. You can feel the music, and it is very engaging and fun. The soundstage is wide, and the overall imaging and impact is big and powerful, like live music. This is a fun tube and I think it will work well with a bunch of different headphones. My number 2 is the RCA VT-231 (grey glass, mica snubbers, 1940's). This tube has more mid bass, than the KenRad, and almost hits as hard as the KenRad. The midrange on the RCA, is a little further back, than the KenRad, and this really creates a deep, wide holographic soundstage. This tube is warm and smooth, with great impact and weight to the notes. I love a warm signature and this tube is king! The top end of the RCA, is a bit rolled off, and it does not have the air of the KenRad, but it could be the tube for a headphone with a hot top end. These 2 tubes are it for me, and I am buildling up my stock, so I don't have to worry about finding them, in the future. Happy listening!
My tinnitus is getting slightly triggered with the New TS from Schiit. I read what you said about the gray glass V-231 as being possibly good for headphones with a hot top end, which my LCD3s aren't.

However, I am looking for something that will be a little quieter on-top compared to that particular TS. Think that grey-glass might do the trick?

May 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #93 of 5,226
My tinnitus is getting slightly triggered with the New TS from Schiit. I read what you said about the gray glass V-231 as being possibly good for headphones with a hot top end, which my LCD3s aren't.

However, I am looking for something that will be a little quieter on-top compared to that particular TS. Think that grey-glass might do the trick?
The Foton would, i have not tried the grey glass or clear glass ken rad staggered plates but would like to and would like opinions.

May 10, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #94 of 5,226
The Foton would, i have not tried the grey glass or clear glass ken rad staggered plates but would like to and would like opinions.
The KenRad, can get a little hot too. The RCA grey glass is a safe bet. I have been listening to my Lyr 3, so much, and so loud, that I started getting some mild tinnitus myself. I have to really watch the volume control, and I had to take a couple days off, from listening, to let my ears rest. The tinnitus is gone and I am gonna be back at it tonight.

Just a little note - The KenRad is not a bright tube, but I just listened way to loud.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #95 of 5,226
The KenRad, can get a little hot too. The RCA grey glass is a safe bet. I have been listening to my Lyr 3, so much that I started getting some mild tinnitus myself. I have to really watch the volume control, and I had to take a couple days off, from listening, to let my ears rest. The tinnitus is gone and I am gonna be back at it tonight.
Hmm the Ken rad is boasted as a real bass lovers tube. Supposed to really bring out the lower end.

May 10, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #96 of 5,226
Better sounding equipment always tempts me to listen louder than I normally would or should to get even more of that goodness down my ear canal. I find it's easy to listen to my car radio or car CD player at low volume so I don't notice the short comings.

May 10, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #97 of 5,226
Hmm the Ken rad is boasted as a real bass lovers tube. Supposed to really bring out the lower end.

Just about every review Iv seen on the Ken-Rad have said it’s one of the brightest tubes around. I’d definately suggest the rca grey glass or any rca for that matter if you want to tone down a top end.

May 10, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #98 of 5,226
Just about every review Iv seen on the Ken-Rad have said it’s one of the brightest tubes around. I’d definately suggest the rca grey glass or any rca for that matter if you want to tone down a top end.
Ok thanks. I was going off the description off vintage tubes services for kenrad 1940s ken rad 6sn7gt with staggerd plates "Ken-Rad (Pre-GE) has a great crisp clean and yet deep sound. Fast as real music and the bass is the biggest &
cleanest & most well defined of anything.
Definately the tube for bass lovers!"

May 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #99 of 5,226
Yes, the kenrad has the best bass, but unlike some other strong bass tubes, it does not sacrifice the mids or top end.

May 10, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #100 of 5,226
I absolutely love the kenrad, but I rolled the RCA grey glass back in, for extended listening sessions.

May 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #101 of 5,226
Yes, the kenrad has the best bass, but unlike some other strong bass tubes, it does not sacrifice the mids or top end.
Thanks. Like i said just going off description its hard to tell. Eventually i wqnt to try them qnd qdd the three i dont have to my tube inventory. Mqybe once i sell my mimby and vali 2 with all my tubes.

May 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #102 of 5,226
Better sounding equipment always tempts me to listen louder than I normally would or should to get even more of that goodness down my ear canal. I find it's easy to listen to my car radio or car CD player at low volume so I don't notice the short comings.
I do the exact same thing with my Lyr 3 and my car stereo.

May 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #103 of 5,226
I'm new to this tube type and with so many different identifiers...it's GD confusing! :)

6SN7GT RCA blackplate, GREYGLASS, short glass envelope. - Is this the equivalent (or near equivalent) to the VT231 RCA Grey glass?

May 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #104 of 5,226
From what I have read all grey glass rca were the same as their vt231 counterparts...but there are atleast 2 versions of the grey glass...the earlier has little clear flange supports Off the top mica and the later version has non...the later version was flat in comparison to my ears. I much preferred the version with the supports on the top mica.

May 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #105 of 5,226
I'm new to this tube type and with so many different identifiers...it's GD confusing! :)

6SN7GT RCA blackplate, GREYGLASS, short glass envelope. - Is this the equivalent (or near equivalent) to the VT231 RCA Grey glass?
It is hard to tell without seeing a picture. There are 2 different RCA grey glass. The earlier ones with the almost opaque grey coating, side mica snubbers are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back