Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Oct 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #3,721 of 5,226
Well said. It also takes a lot time and oftentimes a lot of money to hear a lot of different tubes and to become familiar with them. It can vary a lot with the quality of music and variance of equipment. Personally I prefer the Gungnir to the Yggdrassil and I sent tubes off to Jason to be played in the only Schiit tube product I have not owned, the Saga.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #3,722 of 5,226
Alright -- I'll bite as well!

Ordered:
Psvane CV181-T Mark II
Electro-Harmonix 6SN7GT
TUNG-SOL 6SN7GTB

I should be prepared for the upcoming winter evenings. :L3000:

I’ve got the T-S and the Psvane so I’m looking forward to seeing what you think. I personally find the Psvane a little more resolving and dynamic, but your mileage may vary

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #3,725 of 5,226
Tung Sols are still made. Schiit chose to change suppliers as it seems Tung Sol could not meet Schiit's volume requirements. The JJ's are pretty well regarded as far as new issue tubes go and according to Jason, sound better. YMMV, of course. :wink:

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #3,726 of 5,226
Looks like Schiit doesn't sell the Tung Sol option anymore, but instead added a JJ 6SN7. Does anyone know anything about this JJ tube? I actually liked the Tung Sol I got packaged with the Lyr 3. Are those not made anymore?

They are still made and sold, somewhere around $20-$25 a pop depending on seller and quantity. I just got myself some spares from a place called vivatubes.

Now even leaving the amp on all day, every day, I shouldn’t need any more replacements for the foreseeable future..
:relaxed:

EAAAEF13-4161-45E1-922E-54B0AFA99B67.jpeg

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,727 of 5,226
They are still made and sold, somewhere around $20-$25 a pop depending on seller and quantity. I just got myself some spares from a place called vivatubes.

Now even leaving the amp on all day, every day, I shouldn’t need any more replacements for the foreseeable future..
:relaxed:

I have been using these tubes as Drivers in my Feliks-Audio Elise and am quite impressed...may not be the TOTL but punch far above theiir weight and I am enjoying them,

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #3,728 of 5,226
Looks like Schiit doesn't sell the Tung Sol option anymore, but instead added a JJ 6SN7. Does anyone know anything about this JJ tube? I actually liked the Tung Sol I got packaged with the Lyr 3. Are those not made anymore?
I jus wrote about JJ tube a few days ago in this thread.

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #3,729 of 5,226
I have been using these tubes as Drivers in my Feliks-Audio Elise and am quite impressed...may not be the TOTL but punch far above theiir weight and I am enjoying them,

+1 to that :)

I started my tube path with the reissue Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB and the Lyr3, which, a year down the path I still have, use (just about every day), and enjoy a lot. I have tried several other tubes as well (new, used, and nos in the $50-ish and below range - I have a list on my profile page) but so far I haven’t found any that I enjoy more.

The fact that it is new production and won’t skyrocket in price any time soon is a great plus, too :L3000:

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #3,730 of 5,226
Got a short response from Jason at Schiit regarding my heater current question.

Short response, but tubes like ECC32 (or proper CV181's) that draw 950mA of heater current are a no-no.

ShuGuang CV181-Z is not a proper CV181 reading the spec sheet so safe to use:

http://grantfidelity.com/site/files/shuguang treasure tube spec cv-181.pdf

I'm so glad I found this. I just put the ShuGuang CV181-Z in and I think it sounds fantastic after a couple of songs. After seeing some of the discussions about current draw I was worried I had an expensive and rather light paperweight on my hands.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #3,731 of 5,226
Does anyone have a LISST that they'd be willing to sell/trade/etc?
I'm thinking I'll probably sell my Lyr3 soon, but just want to try out the LISST before I do.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #3,732 of 5,226
My experience with some tubes after a few weeks of burning and long listening.

JJ 6SN7 - Great tube! It sounds like the scene is closer to listener. Vocals are very intimate. I don`t know why, but I love this tube. It has specific tonality, which is very fun to listen to. It has great dynamic range. You can hear subbas with this one and highs are also more dominant. The sounds is full and sweet.

Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB - Better soundstage like JJ. It is more spacious sound with nice depth. It sounds very nice. Actually, my first thoughts was great. It has the ability of the wow factor for the first moments. But. I was boring after longer listening. There is missing something which is making my LCD-2C sounds amazing during long sessions. I really was bored with this tube. It sounds kind of dry for me.

PSVane CV181T Mark II - This tube has everything! It has that magic which delivers my JJ. That fun factor. And it has very nice soundstage and spacious sound like the Tung-Sol. So it seems like when you basically combine JJ with TS, voala PsVane. There is really no bad with this bulb. It just sounds awesome in every area. Great detail, great dynamics, great tonality, great soundstage. I am very happy with this one. This one is definitely a great choice! And it sounds amazing after a few hours.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3,733 of 5,226
My experience with some tubes after a few weeks of burning and long listening.

JJ 6SN7 - Great tube! It sounds like the scene is closer to listener. Vocals are very intimate. I don`t know why, but I love this tube. It has specific tonality, which is very fun to listen to. It has great dynamic range. You can hear subbas with this one and highs are also more dominant. The sounds is full and sweet.

Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB - Better soundstage like JJ. It is more spacious sound with nice depth. It sounds very nice. Actually, my first thoughts was great. It has the ability of the wow factor for the first moments. But. I was boring after longer listening. There is missing something which is making my LCD-2C sounds amazing during long sessions. I really was bored with this tube. It sounds kind of dry for me.

PSVane CV181T Mark II - This tube has everything! It has that magic which delivers my JJ. That fun factor. And it has very nice soundstage and spacious sound like the Tung-Sol. So it seems like when you basically combine JJ with TS, voala PsVane. There is really no bad with this bulb. It just sounds awesome in every area. Great detail, great dynamics, great tonality, great soundstage. I am very happy with this one. This one is definitely a great choice! And it sounds amazing after a few hours.

I just opened a box with a Freya plus inside and it has some of the new JJ's in it so I hope to try one or two myself in the next couple days. I have extra quads of the tung sols I may put back in the box before it becomes a Christmas present, if I like the JJ's better. :smile_phones:

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #3,734 of 5,226
I just opened a box with a Freya plus inside and it has some of the new JJ's in it so I hope to try one or two myself in the next couple days. I have extra quads of the tung sols I may put back in the box before it becomes a Christmas present, if I like the JJ's better. :smile_phones:
Who knows, maybe you will like Tung-Sols more. For me, Tung-Sol is better sounding for the first impression. But for longer listening JJ is doing some magic with my LCD-2C (or with my brain).

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #3,735 of 5,226
I have some pretty specific likes and dislikes in 6sn7's and equivalents and I can get away with using many different tubes on the left side of the Freya plus so it is always good to have some matched pairs around for that. As far as single tubes in the Lyr 3 I lean more toward American and Russian tubes from many years ago. Melz 1578 from 1963 and Black Glass V-231 Ken-Rad are among my favorites. Jason speaks highly of the JJ's so I figured I would at least give them a listen since I have a quad laying around.

Ok maybe with some cooking the JJ's will improve, I should send a couple to @bcowen and seal my views in an envelope so as not to cloud his impression.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back