Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 13, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #286 of 5,226
The Westinghouse D getter is sounding quite nice after some additional simmering. So nice in fact, that I've started looking around for another. Any experience with the round halo getter version of the Westinghouse. The D getter is difficult to find, but there seem to be a lot more of the round halo getter versions. Any experience with them and if so, how do they compare to the delicious D?

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #287 of 5,226
The Westinghouse D getter is sounding quite nice after some additional simmering. So nice in fact, that I've started looking around for another. Any experience with the round halo getter version of the Westinghouse. The D getter is difficult to find, but there seem to be a lot more of the round halo getter versions. Any experience with them and if so, how do they compare to the delicious D?
I don't know if they sound different. I've only heard the D getter version.

I'd be curious to find out.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #288 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #289 of 5,226
I suspect you already have one and you're not saying ... :wink:

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #290 of 5,226
Just one?

:laughing:

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #291 of 5,226
Yeah. Silly me. I forgot who we're talking about, here. :D

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #292 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #293 of 5,226

I took delivery of my 2nd one of these yesterday (black staggered plates and D getter) and i've managed to purchase a 3rd. Should keep me going for many years.

This is truly a magical tube. Might be the proverbial "holy grail" tube for Lyr 3 depending on which headphones it's paired with. Sounds truly special with HE-500's.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #294 of 5,226
It's starting to grow on me to the point I have 2 more on the way - just in case ... :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #295 of 5,226
Alpha Prime + Lyr 3 with KenRad = Pure Bliss :darthsmile:

Just got the Alpha Primes and they are really good with the KenRad. The bass is very tight and has great impact. You can feel the bass. The rest of the spectrum, sounds great too. Very holographic and euphonic.

Any of you Westinghouse D getter fans, compared it to the KenRad staggered plates? I am especially wondering how they compare in the bass.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #296 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #297 of 5,226
Can't comment on the Westinghouse. Seems to be the only tube ever made I don't have. :weary:

But how are you liking the Alphas? Mine have been sitting on the shelf since I got the Aeon's, but I should probably pull them back out and get 'em warmed up again...
I am absolutely loving the Primes. I feel like I have finally arrived, to a level of premium sound.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #298 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #299 of 5,226
Any of you Westinghouse D getter fans, compared it to the KenRad staggered plates? I am especially wondering how they compare in the bass.

I own both. The KR is an excellent tube that does just about everything right. To me, the WH bass is a bit punchier and deeper than the KR. The KR does seem to have a bit more pronounced mid-bass, while WH is just deeper and a bit more powerful. The midrange is nice on both, but maybe a bit more recessed on the WH -- not such that it is detrimental to the sound, however. Highs are nice and crisp on both w/o being fatiguing. Soundstage is about the same to me, with the KR having a slightly more euphonic and layered sound, but again, its close. Of course this is all using my ears and my HE400S cans, so your results may be quite different.

In general, it's really tough to put one over the other (KR vs WH) as they have more similarities than differences, but I feel confident in saying that if one has the WH black plate D getter, a 40's KR staggered plate, and a Foton 50's ribbed plate for tubes, they are definitely set for a very enjoyable ride with Lyr 3!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #300 of 5,226

I've got one of each on the way in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back