Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,461 of 5,226

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,462 of 5,226
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,463 of 5,226
OMG. Just got the Aeon Closed in the mail. I first listened to Brian Bromberg "Thicker than Water" on Tidal (thanks Bill) and if anyone tells you the bass is not there in this headphone they are crazy. With the Foton tube in the Lyr 3 they are wonderful. Diana Krall "Live in Paris is also fantastic. Now to try these with the Ken Rad and new Bad Boy when it gets here. I am glad I have 5 of the Fotons though. LOL

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,464 of 5,226
I first listened to Brian Bromberg "Thicker than Water" on Tidal (thanks Bill)

Brian Bromberg??? What??!! Bill Cowen is expanding his horizons beyond Linkin Park and Marilyn Manson??? Bill -- are you OK, buddy??

(@bcowen -- Obviously Bill's account has been hacked. Who are you and what have you done with Bill!?)

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,466 of 5,226
Were there any WGT bad boys? I mean is it possible they used the same gubbins but with the ruggedized WGT construction?I've spotted one with 3 holes in the black plates and a '52 code (If they were made in the 50's, could be 40's or 60's?)
Different tube. Just
OMG. Just got the Aeon Closed in the mail. I first listened to Brian Bromberg "Thicker than Water" on Tidal (thanks Bill) and if anyone tells you the bass is not there in this headphone they are crazy. With the Foton tube in the Lyr 3 they are wonderful. Diana Krall "Live in Paris is also fantastic. Now to try these with the Ken Rad and new Bad Boy when it gets here. I am glad I have 5 of the Fotons though. LOL
Would love to hear your thoughts on the Alpha Prime vs the Aeon Closed, with the lyr 3.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #2,467 of 5,226
Let me listen for a day or two then I will post my thoughts. As of now I can tell there is more of an airy sound with a little better soundstage. Female voices are like they are singing right in front of you. The Aeon doesn't sound as closed in as the Alpha Prime. I was listening to one song and thought someone was saying something to me on the right side. I turned my head but there was nobody there. LOL It is also the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #2,468 of 5,226

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #2,469 of 5,226
Blah. Blah. Blah. I'm still ignoring you. :unamused:

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,470 of 5,226

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,471 of 5,226
I'm busy buying a few parts I know I'll need when my score of the year gets here: a Hickok TV-3 military tester in extremely nice condition. And although it pains me greatly to admit it, I have @Ripper2860 to thank for it. He sent me a link to another tester to look at this morning and when I logged on to Ebay this popped up. It had just been listed and at less than half the price even poor condition units usually go for. If I hadn't been on Ebay right then I seriously doubt it would have still been there...even an hour later.

Fortunately I can repay the favor to Ripper by using this as a 2nd verification that all the tubes he sends me are bad and can be thrown away without wasting money on return postage. It's difficult to arrive at an accurate number on avoided cost, but it's gotta be worth something. :stuck_out_tongue:

Blah. Blah. Blah. I'm still ignoring you. :unamused:

All I can add is this image might become my desktop for a bit. Um, wow.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #2,472 of 5,226
I'm not sure, but I think Bill can actually pull in 'Radio Moscow' with what he just bought on eBay. :wink:

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,473 of 5,226
Let me listen for a day or two then I will post my thoughts. As of now I can tell there is more of an airy sound with a little better soundstage. Female voices are like they are singing right in front of you. The Aeon doesn't sound as closed in as the Alpha Prime. I was listening to one song and thought someone was saying something to me on the right side. I turned my head but there was nobody there. LOL It is also the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, and I look forward to hearing more.

Now I want that headphone even more!

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,474 of 5,226

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back