Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #136 of 5,226

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #139 of 5,226
Dammit they don't ship to UK.

Anyone US based fancy buying a 5692 Hytron from Upscale and then selling it to me in the UK? :D

Apologies mods if this isn't allowed here.

May 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #140 of 5,226
May 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #143 of 5,226
I’d like to try out some of these tubes being discussed.

Looked at Upscale, any other reputable vendors I should check out? eBay seems like a crapshoot.

Brent Jesse at audiotubes.com is the best.

May 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #146 of 5,226
Going to try a 6F8G with an adaptor.

s-l1600.jpg

It's identical to a 6SN7 but one of the grids is connected to the top instead of the bottom. The spare pin at the bottom is then used as a shield.

Snagged a Raytheon: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6F8G-Ray...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'll have to wait a while for the adaptor to turn up though.

May 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #147 of 5,226
OK

i've had a delivery today and found a tube that for £3.99 for a matched pair outperforms the £150 i paid for an RCA red base 5692. These same tubes i tried in first gen Lyr and sounded like garbage.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-2...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

'67 6N1P-EV made in the Novosibirsk factory.

I tried all the brands of 6N1P in Lyr 1 and none of them sounded great, worst of which were the Novosibirsk tubes, don't know what years i tried though.
I'm guessing the plate voltage and grid bias are more friendly in the Lyr 3 to the 6N1P family than was in Lyr 1.

Presentation is silky smooth, no harshness to be found, bass is tight and impactful and soundstage seems far more pleasing, more holographic, detail and separation are nice too. Mids are warm without being forward or recessed.

It really is worth rolling tube you used in Lyr 1+2 judging by what i've tried so far, really some bargains to be had.

May 24, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #148 of 5,226
The KenRad, can get a little hot too. The RCA grey glass is a safe bet. I have been listening to my Lyr 3, so much, and so loud, that I started getting some mild tinnitus myself. I have to really watch the volume control, and I had to take a couple days off, from listening, to let my ears rest. The tinnitus is gone and I am gonna be back at it tonight.

Just a little note - The KenRad is not a bright tube, but I just listened way to loud.

Just fyi tinnitus doesn't go away it just stops ringing sometimes, but it can come back randomly even if you listen to no music ever again, you probably have it for life and will notice it one random night for now right before sleeping a slight ringing.

I currently have the LYR 3 AND RAYTHEON navy bad boy tube 195x something year. its about 5x better than the tung-sol... Sirens of the Sea by Ocean Labs is a test song for female vocals for me. tung-sol and LISST make this song sound lifeless. Raytheon gives it sweetness to her voice, better soundstage, and overall much better energy.

if anyone knows of a tube that has more energy, sweeter female vocals, than the Raytheon let me know please. cause i am still within refund period, and would like the best single tube i can get for this amp. ken-rad prob won't work for me since its less energetic than the raytheon, and i prefer raytheons style... sounds like i might already have my end game tube for this amp though.

let me know folks, cheers!

May 25, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #149 of 5,226
Just fyi tinnitus doesn't go away it just stops ringing sometimes, but it can come back randomly even if you listen to no music ever again, you probably have it for life and will notice it one random night for now right before sleeping a slight ringing.

I currently have the LYR 3 AND RAYTHEON navy bad boy tube 195x something year. its about 5x better than the tung-sol... Sirens of the Sea by Ocean Labs is a test song for female vocals for me. tung-sol and LISST make this song sound lifeless. Raytheon gives it sweetness to her voice, better soundstage, and overall much better energy.

if anyone knows of a tube that has more energy, sweeter female vocals, than the Raytheon let me know please. cause i am still within refund period, and would like the best single tube i can get for this amp. ken-rad prob won't work for me since its less energetic than the raytheon, and i prefer raytheons style... sounds like i might already have my end game tube for this amp though.

let me know folks, cheers!
Just fyi, there is no such thing as a navy/ vt231 "bad boy". I have heard lots of good stuff about the Raytheons and will have to get a few soon.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #150 of 5,226
Just fyi, there is no such thing as a navy/ vt231 "bad boy". I have heard lots of good stuff about the Raytheons and will have to get a few soon.

Cool, well it sounds good that is all I know and that was what it was called in the listing when I bought it.

Can anyone answer my question? (two posts up)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back