Schiit Jotunheim with DAC, good but not perfect!
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sonic2911

100+ Head-Fier
I recently had the crap..hmm I mean Schiit Jotunheim with DAC to drive my Senn HD650. In fact, I have no any complaints about it except the DAC side. It's a very good amp, powerful, can drive anything plug in to it, but its DAC destroyed everything. First, it just has 1 input - USB, so most of us will use pc to stream our music, right. What happens if your graphic card has coil whine problem? It's gonna a big problem for me, when playing video games and watch movies, because the coil whine sound will be represented through headphones/speakers. Believe me, it's a big problem, I can't watch movies with my setup, PC - > DAC -> active/powered monitors or playing games. Be cause of its design, the DAC is optional, plug in to the Jotunheim, so it uses power from PC(source) not external power like others (like Modi), and the USB output power is supposed to be not clean, it's dead silent when you just playing music but not when playing games/watching movies. I troubleshooted, try many methods, solution...finally, the modi 2 uber DAC saved me, actually the optical input will get rid of any noise but the usb input from modi will do the same. So finally, I still recommend the Schiit Jotunheim as AMP...but not recommend you use it as DAC/amp, it's trash/cancer...
...it costs me 5% restocking fee to know this, well thanks my crap...oops. Schiit, I mean.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Thanks for the info. It's useful to know the DAC needs USB power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back