Schiit Jotunheim vs. Monolith 124459
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DesignTaylor

100+ Head-Fier
Hey gang - I just did a quick video of my thoughts on these two $500 DAC + Amp combo units.

What do you guys think... do DAC + Amp combos make sense or do you prefer separate components? Is there a better DAC+Amp unit at this price point I've been missing?

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 15
I wouldn't buy a DAC from Schiit and not one of their low end products either.

Dacamps make sense for some kinds of headphones. Others need more amp than most dacamps have.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, I'm curious about their multibit offerings. Currently waiting on a Denafrips Ares, I'm interested to see how it performs against some of the chip-based dacs I have on hand.

That one is on my list too, share your opinions when you get it.

Although I really don't need another DAC right now :D

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 15
I have the Jotunheim with no DAC module but 2 separate DACs, the Modi Multibit and new Modius. The Modius is the better match for the Jotunheim IMO, but both are pretty good DACs and excellent values.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Very hard to argue with Schiit's value per dollar. The Jotunheim was my gateway drug but I've since added Freya S and an Aegir in my main system.

@gimmeheadroom I'll likely do a video about the Ares after I've had some time with it. My favorite DAC is stull my sub-$200 SMSL SU-8. Sounds like you are loaded up on DACs, what's your current favorite?

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Very hard to argue with Schiit's value per dollar. The Jotunheim was my gateway drug but I've since added Freya S and an Aegir in my main system.

@gimmeheadroom I'll likely do a video about the Ares after I've had some time with it. My favorite DAC is stull my sub-$200 SMSL SU-8. Sounds like you are loaded up on DACs, what's your current favorite?

To be honest I don't try too hard to compare DACs in terms of sound quality although sometimes just from listening I get the impression there are some differences. Mostly I want various features I find useful.

That said, the most musical ones I have are the USB DAC that comes with my Audiolab 8300CD, it runs an ESS9018 and is just beautiful. I get the feeling Audiolab really went to town on the power supply. Also, the RME ADI-2 is very musical. Hi sample rate PCM is otherworldly on it.

Of the more functional ones I have I like the Brooklyn DAC+ because of MQA support and that it shows not only sample rate but also bit depth and has beautiful build quality. And my Oppo 205 is hugely resolving.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 15
To be honest I don't try too hard to compare DACs in terms of sound quality although sometimes just from listening I get the impression there are some differences. Mostly I want various features I find useful.

That said, the most musical ones I have are the USB DAC that comes with my Audiolab 8300CD, it runs an ESS9018 and is just beautiful. I get the feeling Audiolab really went to town on the power supply. Also, the RME ADI-2 is very musical. Hi sample rate PCM is otherworldly on it.

Of the more functional ones I have I like the Brooklyn DAC+ because of MQA support and that it shows not only sample rate but also bit depth and has beautiful build quality. And my Oppo 205 is hugely resolving.

Wow! That is quite the collection. All of those are on my radar wi the RME on my shortlist.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Wow! That is quite the collection. All of those are on my radar wi the RME on my shortlist.

The RME is a wonderful, musical DAC. The amp is not optimal for some of my cans like Sennheiser 600s and 800s and maybe LCD-3F, not sure about the latter. I run Fostex and LCD-2C off it with great results. It's a little fidgety to get it set up, but the parametric EQ is the cat's meow for specific sonic problems in sources or cans. I run it into a Lyr 2 when the built in amp isn't enough.

I use the Brooklyn DAC+ for my Sennheisers, balanced into a Violectric V280. Sources for this are Tidal hifi and foobar2000 off my custom NAS-box. The RME is for foobar2000 since there is no point in running Tidal into it with no MQA support. I run optical out from a Linux server box into the RME so I can listen to youtube and whatever else from Linux. The V280 also feeds a Valhalla 2 for other occasions.

My Oppo and Audiolab are part of my big rig and they are used for playing off my NAS or Foobar2000 or Tidal desktop. The Oppo is a great SACD player but I like to play regular CDs in the Audiolab.

I have node 2i and some other gear in another room. I like MQA, so I looked for DACs that support it.

None of this is high end stuff but I like it a lot.

I am considering a Denafrips R2R DAC for a minidisc deck and I want to get a WA2 to run the RME into instead of the Lyr 2. The Schiit stuff is ok but not great and my experience with their company leads me to not recommend it or buy any of it again. Which is kinda why I posted in the thread. I have over 200 SACD rips so I need DACs with DSD support which Schiit does not support. And I'm very happy with Tidal MQA which Schiit also does not support. I think there are much better and more flexible solutions so I can't recommend Schiit gear. It may be ok for entry level stuff but I think you outgrow it very quickly except for their high end stuff which people seem to be happy with.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 15
I wouldn’t call the Jotunheim or Lyr 3 entry level products. Or even the $200 Modius and $250 Modi Multibit DACs.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 15
Lots of great info, thanks! If the Ares doesn't end up to be the upgrade I'm looking for than the RME is next.

Will be interested to hear your opinions on the Aeres II. What I liked right away was that Denafrips is making it easy to buy them in Europe from his shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back