Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #6,438 of 6,468
@AppleheadMay Jotunheim 2 uses the same topology that was in Freya S and is in Ragnarok 2 and Jotunheim R. It’s a unique design developed by Jason that is truly differential and requires tight part matching to work. My understanding of engineering isn’t up to the task of explaining this further, unfortunately.

It also has a simplified version of the output stage found in Aegir and Asgard 3, which combats transconductance droop—apparently a common problem with Class AB amps. While the version in Aegir and Asgard achieves perfect linearity, the simplified version in Jotunheim 2 results in a slightly convex curve which, according to Jason, bestows a slightly tubey timbre to the sound. Perfect linearity would have been too inefficient and the amp’s power output would have been limited to 1W.

Jot 2 also outputs more power than the original. I haven’t checked if it measures better but I would imagine it does.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #6,439 of 6,468
@AppleheadMay Jotunheim 2 uses the same topology that was in Freya S and is in Ragnarok 2 and Jotunheim R. It’s a unique design developed by Jason that is truly differential and requires tight part matching to work. My understanding of engineering isn’t up to the task of explaining this further, unfortunately.

It also has a simplified version of the output stage found in Aegir and Asgard 3, which combats transconductance droop—apparently a common problem with Class AB amps. While the version in Aegir and Asgard achieves perfect linearity, the simplified version in Jotunheim 2 results in a slightly convex curve which, according to Jason, bestows a slightly tubey timbre to the sound. Perfect linearity would have been too inefficient and the amp’s power output would have been limited to 1W.

Jot 2 also outputs more power than the original. I haven’t checked if it measures better but I would imagine it does.

Thank you for the detailed explanations.
It looks like this will sound even better than the original Jot then, which was a fine amp.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #6,440 of 6,468
@AppleheadMay While the version in Aegir and Asgard achieves perfect linearity, the simplified version in Jotunheim 2 results in a slightly convex curve which, according to Jason, bestows a slightly tubey timbre to the sound.
Can you show me where Jason said anything about how it sounds?

The part I think you are paraphrasing is where he mentions that a single ended connection's distortion profile is similar to a tube, not that it has tube timbre.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #6,441 of 6,468

The part I think you are paraphrasing is where he mentions that a single ended connection's distortion profile is similar to a tube, not that it has tube timbre.

Going by memory, he said that when talking about the Jotunheim 2 in their latest streaming event.

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #6,442 of 6,468

Jason said it displaced his Lyr 3 in everyday system so obviously he likes it. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #6,444 of 6,468
I woke up this morning under the believe that all the nordic deities and heroes chose me to keep this thread alive.
Come on people!!! It’s been more than a week without any post here!!
Is it Jot 2 so forgettable that you don’t know what else to post or is so amazing that you guys are immersed in the music and forgot this thread??
Happy New Year !!!!!!!!

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,446 of 6,468
Mine would ship in 1-3 days, shipped in 10 days.
2 days to get to Europe, got lost for 5 days in Paris after which they found the package back and it would be delivered the next day.
Now they shipped it off to the UK where it does not have to be at all.
3 calls to FedEx already and they have no idea what’s going on.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #6,448 of 6,468
Mine would ship in 1-3 days, shipped in 10 days.
2 days to get to Europe, got lost for 5 days in Paris after which they found the package back and it would be delivered the next day.
Now they shipped it off to the UK where it does not have to be at all.
3 calls to FedEx already and they have no idea what’s going on.

The first half of your story is about the same for me.

Mine shipped I wanna say 7 days? Thereabout.
2 days to Europe, then tracking stopped updating altogether while in France.
Package continued its journey, however, and FedEx contacted me two days ago to fill the power of attorney papers for customs clearance.
I called them yesterday and they confirmed the paperwork was fine. Today I got a notification via email with the updated scheduled delivery date, which is tomorrow.

Not sure what's going on with the UK thing; it's crazy that FedEx would have no answers for you!

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #6,450 of 6,468
Obscenely bad service.

I can say here in Hungary they weren't very snappy with the emails, but the phone customer service was really good.

A shame that it is not the case with you. I know I would be bummed to heck and back in the same situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back