Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #6,406 of 6,469
2020-11-09 (2).jpg
Modius just arrived....let's go!

So I just hooked up my Campfire IO to the balanced output (with the Hart cables). So far, I'm only using Youtube since I can't figure out how to do USB-OTG from my Android to my PC, and pass through to the Schiit Micro-USB.

However. WHAT THE F%(&*?!?!?! The IEMs have more sub-bass than the Aeon's right now (the Aeon's aren't burnt in yet). This is very pleasantly surprising to me. The IO was always dubbed as lacking sub-bass, but Modius / Jot deliver the powah!!!

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #6,407 of 6,469
So I just hooked up my Campfire IO to the balanced output (with the Hart cables). So far, I'm only using Youtube since I can't figure out how to do USB-OTG from my Android to my PC, and pass through to the Schiit Micro-USB.

However. WHAT THE F%(&*?!?!?! The IEMs have more sub-bass than the Aeon's right now (the Aeon's aren't burnt in yet). This is very pleasantly surprising to me. The IO was always dubbed as lacking sub-bass, but Modius / Jot deliver the powah!!!
Just made a coffee....so I'll sit down and have a listen for about 15 mins!

Modius/Jot is sexy aF combo!

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #6,408 of 6,469

I think you'll have to run an extra micro usb cable from the Modius with the supplied power charger as the phone won't be able to power the Modius DAC alone!

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #6,409 of 6,469
I think you'll have to run an extra micro usb cable from the Modius with the supplied power charger as the phone won't be able to power the Modius DAC alone!
The issue is I don't have a USB-C to micro cable. I have the Samsung S8 OTG adapter, but even then, I don't have a micro to micro cable. Right now, I have the DAC hooked up to my PC running Linux (Ubuntu does full hand off to DAC without volume control, which is nice). I supplied external power as well.

My hope was to find a way to turn the computer into a "USB cable" where I plug the phone in one port, and the DAC in the other. I don't think that will work, though, unless I modify the kernel. @AppleheadMay , this would be a perfect use for Roon. I think you may be right, lol. I have the new iPhone on preorder, and may order one of the Apple silicon macs coming out tomorrow, but Qobuz doesn't work on Linux :/

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #6,410 of 6,469
The issue is I don't have a USB-C to micro cable. I have the Samsung S8 OTG adapter, but even then, I don't have a micro to micro cable. Right now, I have the DAC hooked up to my PC running Linux (Ubuntu does full hand off to DAC without volume control, which is nice). I supplied external power as well.

My hope was to find a way to turn the computer into a "USB cable" where I plug the phone in one port, and the DAC in the other. I don't think that will work, though, unless I modify the kernel. @AppleheadMay , this would be a perfect use for Roon. I think you may be right, lol. I have the new iPhone on preorder, and may order one of the Apple silicon macs coming out tomorrow, but Qobuz doesn't work on Linux :/

Tried Manjaro for a while but never tried to install Qobuz, was more busy with syncing Outlook, iCloud and Exchange among other things between MacOS, Windows and Manjaro. Fun experience though.

But if you use Roon you'd be able to play Qobuz through Roon.

I sold my 11 Pro Max and will get the new 12 Mini on Friday. Was sick and tired of hauling around that big thing that keeps falling out of a shirt pocket.

I have a Mac Mini and even if they'd bring out a ASi Mini tomorrow I would hold off 'till the second generation. Not that I'm an expert on the matter, just too scared their first gen desktop/laptop processors might be buggy.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #6,411 of 6,469
Tried Manjaro for a while but never tried to install Qobuz, was more busy with syncing Outlook, iCloud and Exchange among other things between MacOS, Windows and Manjaro. Fun experience though.

But if you use Roon you'd be able to play Qobuz through Roon.

I sold my 11 Pro Max and will get the new 12 Mini on Friday. Was sick and tired of hauling around that big thing that keeps falling out of a shirt pocket.

I have a Mac Mini and even if they'd bring out a ASi Mini tomorrow I would hold off 'till the second generation. Not that I'm an expert on the matter, just too scared their first gen desktop/laptop processors might be buggy.
They released the Mini for $650 with my work discount. Seems too good to hold off on. My laptop is 6 years old, and pairing the Mac Mini with a monitor would save my precious desk real estate in my bedroom :)

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #6,412 of 6,469
2020-11-10 (3).jpg
Phewww....what a combo....I will say....the Modius is a very, very capable DAC!

Striking clarity, with decent depth and imaging...actually, the imaging is crystal clear, doesn't throw the biggest and widest soundstage, more of a medium size room but who cares! It's intoxicatingly detailed and vibrant! Compared to my old Bifrost, it is quite similar rather than different, the top is sparkles and chimes but not digital sounding as much! The unison usb implementation is top notch! Doesn't sound as flat or boring compared to the USB of the Bifrost, it's almost like I'm running optical tbh! The Jot can sound harsh'ish with the Bifrost but it is completely civil with the Modius, very ballsy and playful!

Hella dark background, no noise, just music from the deep black well! I can't believe the Modius just runs off a Micro Usb cable and sounds this good....What! I have a gen 1 Modi and Fulla that is fairly noise compared to this one! Heck I've even heard EMF noise on my Bifrost from time to time!

The Elears sounds like a HD650 on crack with this setup! Not the biggest soundstage but plenty out to the sides and most importantly the middle channel is all filled out, so lots of detail between the ears! Bass is great, if not warmed up a little, I swear! The sub bass rumble is similar to my Theta DAC's but a tad cleaner and tight! Sorta like a little thunder storm rolling past your house! Really nice! The High's are so damn nice, reminds me of the high's of the Vali! For me it is perfect, it's not harsh but does feel rolled off to good effect??! I'd like to get others opinions on this but I really love the high's as it is all the good stuff with non of the bad stuff for my ears! Mid's sound fine to me, I'll have to listen to some more music but I'm never left wanting with Schiit's mids...sorta like the Sennheiser trait!

For me, the Jot is still a cracker of an amp! The built-in CAB DAC was fine but there definitely is more potential to be had when you feed the Jot!

More to come...

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6,415 of 6,469
2020-11-10 (3).jpg
Phewww....what a combo....I will say....the Modius is a very, very capable DAC!

Striking clarity, with decent depth and imaging...actually, the imaging is crystal clear, doesn't throw the biggest and widest soundstage, more of a medium size room but who cares! It's intoxicatingly detailed and vibrant! Compared to my old Bifrost, it is quite similar rather than different, the top is sparkles and chimes but not digital sounding as much! The unison usb implementation is top notch! Doesn't sound as flat or boring compared to the USB of the Bifrost, it's almost like I'm running optical tbh! The Jot can sound harsh'ish with the Bifrost but it is completely civil with the Modius, very ballsy and playful!

Hella dark background, no noise, just music from the deep black well! I can't believe the Modius just runs off a Micro Usb cable and sounds this good....What! I have a gen 1 Modi and Fulla that is fairly noise compared to this one! Heck I've even heard EMF noise on my Bifrost from time to time!

The Elears sounds like a HD650 on crack with this setup! Not the biggest soundstage but plenty out to the sides and most importantly the middle channel is all filled out, so lots of detail between the ears! Bass is great, if not warmed up a little, I swear! The sub bass rumble is similar to my Theta DAC's but a tad cleaner and tight! Sorta like a little thunder storm rolling past your house! Really nice! The High's are so damn nice, reminds me of the high's of the Vali! For me it is perfect, it's not harsh but does feel rolled off to good effect??! I'd like to get others opinions on this but I really love the high's as it is all the good stuff with non of the bad stuff for my ears! Mid's sound fine to me, I'll have to listen to some more music but I'm never left wanting with Schiit's mids...sorta like the Sennheiser trait!

For me, the Jot is still a cracker of an amp! The built-in CAB DAC was fine but there definitely is more potential to be had when you feed the Jot!

More to come...

def agree, love my jot with my bifrost 2.

if they ever release a jotunheim 2 id be very interested as well lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back