Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,391 of 6,468
Well the original Jotenheim is still one of my favorite all time amps....

With the HEDD Headphones and Meze Emperyeans the amp is excellent.....I prefer my Focal Clears with the Lyr 3!

So far its:

1. switch for preamp
2. Nexus
3. Continuity
4. More Power
5. Similar Price
6. Remote Control
7. Black + Silver
8. Same Form Factor

Any more wishes???

Alex

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #6,395 of 6,468
I surely wouldn't mind the power button on the front.
I appreciate Schiit trying to be different but a power button on the back is just plain annoying.

I couldn't care less for a remote, the remote on the BF is pretty useless to me, they could have put that invert switch on the back of the unit.
I don't use the remotes on my other audio gear either, nothing beats a nice feeling switch or volume knob.
Remotes are for a home theater/TV.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #6,396 of 6,468
I appreciate Schiit trying to be different but a power button on the back is just plain annoying.

I couldn't care less for a remote, the remote on the BF is pretty useless to me, they could have put that invert switch on the back of the unit.
I don't use the remotes on my other audio gear either, nothing beats a nice feeling switch or volume knob.
I would not hold my breath for a front panel power switch.

Funny i review a lot of amps, costing many times more...and recently I had a $1500 Soundaware P1 amp to test some power hungry Susvaras and the power switch was on the back! The gain switch was on the back in a very awkward place. So there are other products that have the power switch in the rear. One thing Schiit has mentioned it partially to keep 110vac power from running inside the unit etc....

That said, I understand your desire...just dont think its a big deal at all....YMMV

Alex

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #6,398 of 6,468
You mean you actually switch your amp off? :xf_eek:

IMO a power button or switch on the front would be unsightly and would ruin the aesthetic of Schiit’s design. Appreciate some don’t care about looks so YMMV; I know I certainly do.

I don't see the aesthetics changing much with having three instead of two toggles .
Talking aesthetics, they could have put the toggles of the Lyr on the left side of the volume knob like with the Jot and the Bifrost could have used a similar toggle instead of that push button and a second toggle for invert instead of that IR window.
And both a third toggle for power of course. :wink:

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,399 of 6,468
Beauty is in the "eye" of the beholder!!

I can see if you have a desk and its not easy to access the back it could be a pain for you....but many other amps have a power switch in the read...the SPL Phonitor as gain slide switches in the bottom of the "heavy" amp!! And I hardly ever hear any complaints on this?

Well we shall wait and see what the Schiit Elves dream up!!

Fingers crossed!

Alex

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #6,400 of 6,468
Rearranged my desk tonight in preparation for getting the XLR patch cables tomorrow! Excited to see how the Jot / Modius really sounds :)

Schiit Desk.jpg

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #6,403 of 6,468

Jason Stoddard addressed this very issue in a recent video (YouTube) interview with a bloke from Australia. (I'd provide a link to his video, but that would take way more effort than I'm willing to expend for a net reply).

Providing a power switch on the front would require routing the high power line back to front around sensitive components. Yes, it could be done, with extra expense (for shielding), and larger enclosures.

Jason suggested a solution that I've adopted. Switched power strips. My version: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-I...604970363&sprefix=switched+pow,aps,167&sr=8-1

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #6,404 of 6,468
Jason Stoddard addressed this very issue in a recent video (YouTube) interview with a bloke from Australia. (I'd provide a link to his video, but that would take way more effort than I'm willing to expend for a net reply).

Providing a power switch on the front would require routing the high power line back to front around sensitive components. Yes, it could be done, with extra expense (for shielding), and larger enclosures.

Jason suggested a solution that I've adopted. Switched power strips. My version: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Individually-Controlled-TLP76MSGB/dp/B075NZLYB7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=KX3VHLJT33EL&dchild=1&keywords=switched+power+strip&qid=1604970363&sprefix=switched+pow,aps,167&sr=8-1

Thanks for your reply.
I can live with the switches being on the back if there is a good reason for it, like you mention SQ, bigger enclosures and price.
But I don't find it all that handy and don't find it would ruin the aesthetics.
The power strip option wouldn't be handy for me, if I would want to hide said strip out of sight it would be harder to reach than the switches on the back.

But the Schiit devices in that size-range are what they are: a nice form factor with good looks at a very reasonable price with a SQ that goes well beyond that price. So the power button on the back is just a little Schiit quirk I can accept and I am very happy with my triple 9" stack.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #6,405 of 6,468
Rearranged my desk tonight in preparation for getting the XLR patch cables tomorrow! Excited to see how the Jot / Modius really sounds :)

Schiit Desk.jpg
2020-11-09 (2).jpg
Modius just arrived....let's go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back