Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,288 of 6,468
Question for G0rt and others.

Has anyone who owns a Jot paired it to a Vali2, where the Vali2 is used as a tube preamp/buffer? If so, how did that sound? For my next amp, I am deciding between a Jot or a Mjolnir2. I currently have a Vali2 with some 6922, 5670, 6SN7, 6H8C, and dual 6J5 tubes (with adapters) and was thinking if I can pair the Jot with the Vali2 (Valiheim), can I get close or similar to the MJ2 in performance?

Would a Valiheim be a viable and competitive solution ? This will be a cheaper route for me, but if this sounds good on paper but poor in reality, I don't mind paying up for the MJ2. But thought I ask if others have tried this combo or Jot with another tube preamp/buffer.
Thanks.

I gave that a try a few years ago when I was considering selling my Vali2. I don't recall anything very memorable with the sound quality and ended up selling the Vali2.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,290 of 6,468
Question for G0rt and others.

Has anyone who owns a Jot paired it to a Vali2, where the Vali2 is used as a tube preamp/buffer? If so, how did that sound? For my next amp, I am deciding between a Jot or a Mjolnir2. I currently have a Vali2 with some 6922, 5670, 6SN7, 6H8C, and dual 6J5 tubes (with adapters) and was thinking if I can pair the Jot with the Vali2 (Valiheim), can I get close or similar to the MJ2 in performance?

Would a Valiheim be a viable and competitive solution ? This will be a cheaper route for me, but if this sounds good on paper but poor in reality, I don't mind paying up for the MJ2. But thought I ask if others have tried this combo or Jot with another tube preamp/buffer.

Thanks.

I find Mjolnir2 superior to my other Schiit in terms of refinement and transparency, and I very much doubt that any combo of lesser gear would provide just that. If you feed it with inferior source material, that's exactly what you'll hear.

OTOH, whether that's what you really want is an open question. Lyr3 conveys more excitement, which if I think about it is likely the result of some kind of dynamic distortion. But I like it, quite a lot.

Mjolnir2 is what I like for careful, critical listening, with a minimum of coloration. In combination with unforgiving cans like HD800, it can be a little overwhelming, but the vibrant, honey sweet mids of an LCD-3f perk up just right.

With Gumby. Balanced. YMMV. :D

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #6,291 of 6,468
I find Mjolnir2 superior to my other Schiit in terms of refinement and transparency, and I very much doubt that any combo of lesser gear would provide just that. If you feed it with inferior source material, that's exactly what you'll hear.

OTOH, whether that's what you really want is an open question. Lyr3 conveys more excitement, which if I think about it is likely the result of some kind of dynamic distortion. But I like it, quite a lot.

Mjolnir2 is what I like for careful, critical listening, with a minimum of coloration. In combination with unforgiving cans like HD800, it can be a little overwhelming, but the vibrant, honey sweet mids of an LCD-3f perk up just right.

With Gumby. Balanced. YMMV. :D
Thanks, appreciate the feedback, makes sense.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #6,292 of 6,468
It definitely powers the Hedd perfectly single ended but not LOUD...It is plenty at 2/3 o’clock but I think and hope I’ll get even more depth balanced. We will see...if only I could solder...but not quite yet.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,293 of 6,468
It definitely powers the Hedd perfectly single ended but not LOUD...It is plenty at 2/3 o’clock but I think and hope I’ll get even more depth balanced. We will see...if only I could solder...but not quite yet.

I't ll go louder and sound more detailed balanced.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #6,296 of 6,468
Thanks!
Yep, ordering my Schiit from the US from now on.
Was this the UK-based or NL-based dealer? I was just thinking of ordering...

EDIT: never mind I saw that you stated UK earlier... that's a shame :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,297 of 6,468
Was this the UK-based or NL-based dealer? I was just thinking of ordering...

EDIT: never mind I saw that you stated UK earlier... that's a shame :frowning2:

Didn’t fare too well with either of them concerning the goods I received.
They were friendly though and always refunded.

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,298 of 6,468
I've come so close to pulling the trigger on a Schiit product only to discover some kind of problem/fault doing some last minute digging and it throws me off... Same with Focal, and Audeze/Hifiman I've already boycotted for now.

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #6,300 of 6,468
Yeah I'll probably bite the bullet eventually and get it straight from HQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back